Anonymous
Years ago

Win or lose, has the Sixers season been successful

One win away from glory or heartbreak. For one I'm proud of the job the players and coaches have done, a championship would be great, but runners up is a great achievement as well. Teams don't play for second, but have been happy with how the team has played.
Guaranteed if its a loss the Joey haters will be out in force, but not so long ago we were cellar dwellers, now we're in contention every year and that comes down to the coaching. Being able to snag Childress was a huge signing just in terms of his experience and the way he has brought the team together.

Topic #43001 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very successful. No question. Championship calibre team. Regardless of how much home cooking United gets on Saturday the 36ers and their fans should take a lot of pride in what the team has achieved.

Reply #681392 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

They lost an MVP level player and didn't even have a third import really settled until almost midway through the season. Without Randle they weren't expected to do much but they ended up in the Grand Final series and have made the 36ers relevant to the Adelaide sporting public, if only for a couple of weeks.

It's been a successful season.

Reply #681395 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Yup it has been successful

Reply #681396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Quick get the home cooking defence out their early

Reply #681398 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Only two teams made it to game 5 of the grand final series. That should be enough to say yes. Especially losing a star import.

Reply #681400 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Definitely successful. Agree with ME.

Joey had Moore signed well in advance which seemed questionable but paid off. Impressive to get really solid chemistry with young players and new imports. Plus they play an entertaining style.

Entertaining, team oriented and have won games.

Reply #681417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers $2.6 the Win. United $1.5

Reply #681426 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Yeah it's been successful. Definitely a more balanced and talented team. They need to mature mentally a bit I think. They are very hot headed.

Reply #681431 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I think the off season will dictate as much of if it's been a success as Saturday night... whether they win or lose and the squad gets pilfered say...

Mitch Creek gets a two way NBA contract next year

Daniel Johnson wants some home cooking and returns to Perth

Anthony Drimic gets offered a starting spot at Brisbane

I could have named others too but I think 3 players is enough to make my point that if they win and players feel they've achieved what they wanted and moved on then that will gut the squad a lot.

If they lose then that may keep the squad together for longer but I think Sixers have done very well especially thinking back to basically the same squad and tipping them for wooden spooners 2 seasons ago

Reply #681434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Definitely successful, and if the majority of the squad stays together it's probably the first of many.

Reply #681447 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Successful.
If Adelaide don't win tomorrow hopefully we won't see too many of the following threads
Poor refereeing
Home cooking
Conspiracy theories.

Reply #681457 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

This thread seems like a bit of a concession to me.

Melbourne taking it tomorrow #16k

Reply #681460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with most of the comments on this post.

While Joey has his flaws he has clearly done good things for the club and the Sixers are clearly contenders year in and year out. For those hating think back to the Marty Clarke era. While he is the club I would be surprised if the Sixers are not competitive. His behaviour on the sideline does however need to improve.

Regardless of what happens tomorrow the season has been extremely successful and the main reason for that is the core group imo. Hopefully the core of the group can stay - which could be a challenge given free agency this year - which will be tough to turn to regardless of the outcome tomorrow. Sign up to be a member ASAP after the season as it means the club can offer more money!

If the core group does go hopefully it is on to bigger and better things - examples Creek, Sobey, Johnson and the imports at a top euro club, Drmic, Deng and Hodgson full time starters in the league.

It would also give the club a sense of pride to see some of the players at the Summer League next season.

I just hope win or lose we don't see trolls with conspiracy theories and bagging referees for the sake of it.

Can't wait for the game tomorrow.

Reply #681470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure how that is even a question?
If they lose, it will be tough to swallow, but nevertheless its still a great result.
Melbourne have been trying to buy a ring for years, and have only just made it. Sydney has tried for two seasons and failed miserably.
Joey may be an embarrassing douche but he knows how to build a team.

But here's a question: Would they have been as successful with Randle??
Clearly the new ownership has brought in some extra coin, and that s a good thing allowing them to compete with the likes of Perth, Melb, NZ, etc. But how much would Randle have cost them, and could they have afforded the depth they otherwise acquired?

Reply #681479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Manu not at all. Just showing some credit where its due. Lost an MVP, didn't over spend, especially compared to United, and here we are on the verge of winning it all.

Adelaide are going to go over there and smash United, have got better as the series as gone on.

Reply #681480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You talk like Childress was free. He wasn't. Far from it. He came part of the way through the season, which saved some coin, but per game he was comparable to Randle at Sydney. I would have LOVED to see Randle in this series, and who knows, if we had him along with Moore maybe the series would have been different. We will never know. Won the minor championship and didn't get out of the first round, then finish second, made the Finals and pushed it to five. It is a small success, but not successful. We have hope, and we have to make the minor changes to take that last step next year.

Reply #681689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Randle tore team apart, Childress brought them together.

Reply #681698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moore bought the team together, not Childress. He and Creek are our most valuable assets. Get rid of Sobey and try to bring in McCarron. Also sever ties with Joey, regardless of the cost. Drmic was solid tonight, especially in the first half.

Reply #681703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nope, two seasons in a row wasted.

Reply #681720 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

The 36ers had a hugely successful season. There is absolutely no shame in the way they handled the Grand Final series. Especially because going into this GF series they had never beaten Melbourne. Goes to show what a few months in this season can do to a team. Adelaide in my opinion was the better team going into the grand final. Both teams won their respective home games but Adelaide won by bigger margins. Game 5 was not a good indication of what they did in the previous 4 but with a star import player out, Adelaide could have really shaken things up with a full roster. Well done 36ers.

Reply #681827 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"Nope, two seasons in a row wasted."

So, by your logic, 7 other teams wasted their seasons too?

Reply #681833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers had the most potential and youth is what I meant. Had more to waste.

Reply #681913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Without flopping and constant free throw help the Sixers are fourth at best. First round exit. Borderline playoff team

Reply #681927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So genius, get rid of Joey, who do you plan to come in. The suggestions for cairns are laughable.

Reply #681955 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

After a successful season , creek , dj etc will get plenty of offers.... (lemanis likes hodgeson)

Reply #681973 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:31 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754