Matt
Years ago

Should SEABL align with NBL

I reckon SEABL should align with NBL season. Back int he 90's often the CBA would play curtain raisers to the NBL games.. And it drew interest, the CBA fed of the NBL.. Other sports in OZ are all aligned in the same season eg AFL/NRL, all have 2nd-Tier comps. Can you imagine like the NPL teams in soccer not playing in the same calander as the A-league.. I think it's to the SEABL's detriment that they don't align with the NBL season. The NBA and G-league are aligned. This alignment would allow the NBL/SEABL to form partnerships and the SEABL teams could become affiliate teams to some NBL sides. I don't buy for one minute this thing that it's an advantage for the SEABL to have it's own season. It's not suppose to be a rebel league competing with the NBL, it should be like the old CBA or AFL 2nd-Tier comps(eg SANFL), ultimatley a feeder comp and affiliate club style to the NBL teams(like the G-league clubs are)...
The SEABL playing curtain rasiers to NBL games would certianly benifit the SEABL not harm it. It's time our 2nd-Tier comp was aligned in the same calander as the NBL.. It's silly as well some guys play a whole season of NBL then play a whole season of SEABL, that's not what the SEABL is supposed to be there for, so guys can double dip. It's suppose to be there for emerging players who can develop there game and try and become regular NBL players...

Topic #43014 | Report this topic

Haz  
Years ago

Matt, maybe some put some paragraph spaces and perhaps try and write a more compacted post and you could get a better response.

Your topics could create an interesting discussion, but I find it too annoying to read in full for me to bother with.

Reply #681779 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Penny Taylor went to SEABL to develop her game after she did not make the opals, that season in the lower league allowed her to round off he game and strengthen/practice/focus on her weaknesses, and that was when her career went off.
That alone proves the usefulness to a fringe natrional and top league player of having the 'second' league on a separate schedule to the W/NBL's.

The logistics of who pay for what and who takes the venue profits (if any) is another reason why not to have double headers across leagues.

Reply #681813 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

Very old,

And you can still do that if your in the same season as the NBL or WNBL, what difference does it make?
In AFL, players get dropped and go to the SANFL that same season and adjust and pick up there form and re-group.. It makes no difference. It needs to align with other sports in OZ that have all there main competitions in the same season and form affiliates..

Reply #681820 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I've said it for a while that I think a second league, or reserves would be good for the NBL. The thing with AFL is that all of the big cities have a second team. This means that there is always an AFL game on somewhere that weekend. Having a second tier league means that the AFL lists are longer and like noted with Penny Taylor, a player can have a run in the seconds to pick up their game.

Reply #681835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not necessarily the Seabl but an NBL development comp could be a good idea. May be a way to get an AIS team in and also areas that don't currently have NBL teams e.g. Tasmania, second NZ team

Reply #681864 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

As long as we don't get promotion/relegation... I'd love to see Canberra or Hobart in the NBL again but not at the expense of Bullets and Kings

Reply #682038 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:19 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754