Years ago

Sixers 2018/19

Five Adelaide players contracted for next year
Creek ( could go NBA or Europe)
Deng
Sobey
Hodgson
Doyle.

Daniel Johnson, Brendan Teys and Anthony Drmic along with import trio will be free agents.

Any thoughts on how Adelaide will line up in 2018/19?

Topic #43015 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

The priority signing is DJ regardless of what happens with Creek - who could get a massive offer elsewhere.

The clear need for me is outside shooting and therefore I would bring back Drmic whose rebounding and hustle is underrated in my opinion as long as he isn't asking for ridiculous $$$.

Teys shows heart and battles hard however I would prefer to gamble with his bring someone with more upside as 10th man - maybe a kid out of college or someone like Te Rangi.

Import wise - I would wait on the imports until the locals are all signed but I would look to bring back Childress (who I think wouldn't get a bigger offer at his age). Moore and Shorter could potentially get bigger offers and I would be interested but one of the Imports needs to be able to shoot the ball well.

Therefore I would not bring back Shorter - his antics in the finals series did not help the team imo even though he was good most of the season. It was similar to Randle vs Illawarra last season. The team needed someone with poise and calmer - given the Sixers are a young volatile team. I would get a PG who can shoot - maybe Kenyon McNeaill or Stephen Holt (who coming off a poor season would be good for Joey I feel - example Jamar Wilson).

Keeping the majority of the group will be a challenge given they over performed and are young - especially with the salary cap rules but am confident it will be unfinished businsess for a lot of the group.

Reply #681768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shorter was a perfectly fine player but I would look to bring in a PG with a better outside shot. Given they don't really rely on his playmaking with so much other scoring punch around him.

Reply #681770 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I think it's imperative that Adelaide get DJ back. There aren't many Aussie bigs who can do what he can do. As for Creek, would hate to lose him, and if we do I'd be chasing McCarron pretty hard.

Would like to see all the imports back next year but Shannon Shorter has an asterisk next to his name for his stupid flexing and shit talk. We could find someone else who does what he does and who can maybe take things on himself when nothing else is going - we really needed that last night.

Childress has said he wants to come back, and I don't believe he is in dire need of money, so I'd lean towards that happening.

I wouldn't cry a river if we lost Teys or Drmic. I would like to keep Drmic if we can but he can probably be replaced by a lot of people. Teys is a little bit embarrassing to have on the team. Reminds me a lot of Abe from Oddworld. He's servicable but if I had a choice between him and say, Jarod Kenney, it'd be Kenney in a heartbeat.

Here's the kind of line up I'd like to see:

Shannon Shorter (or anyone who can do similar with more scoring a less dickheadery)
Nathan Sobey
Mitch Creek (or Mitch McCarron or someone of that ilk)
Daniel Johnson (or can we get Kickert possibly?)
Josh Childress

Adam Doyle
Jarod Kenney
Ramone Moore
Majok Deng
Matt Hodgson

I really don't want to see too many changes other than maybe someone who can take over a game when nothing else is going.

Reply #681774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get rid of Sobey and go after McCarron. Moore is the key guy to keep, followed by DJ

Reply #681776 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Definitely get rid of Teys (I face palm every time I see him on court)
Get rid of Shorter based on his character (he is a good player though). Hes an embarrassment for a family orientated sport.

Bring everyone else back with the emphasis being on signing DJ (I'd love to see him in Perth though).

Reply #681781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would like to see

Import PG that can shoot and play off the ball (Stephen Holt possibly)
Sobey
Creek
Childress
DJ

Bench
Doyle, Moore or similar type who can do a bit of everything (If can afford - would get bigger offers potentially), Drmic, Deng, Hodgson, With a young guy that has upside and you gamble on - potentially Heuir, Te Rangi or a kid out of college (Sam McDaniel?).

Reply #681782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I didn't know much of Deng until the later parts of the season, but he is going to be a problem for the opposition. Long, can shoot from the perimeter, can handle the ball. If and when he puts on some size he will need to be met with some muscle down low also.

Reply #681784 | Report this post

Trira  
Years ago

Essential to keep DJ, Childress, Creek, Ramone and Deng. The rest. ..reassess.

Reply #681785 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Pretty sure Creek & Deng both have player options for next season so not technically under contract. So really 3 players under contract Sobey, Hodgson & Doyle.

Reply #681787 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'd start with trying to re-sign DJ & Childress. Also try and bring back Creek, Deng, Moore, Drmic. The two players I would be looking at replacing would be Shorter & Teys. I'd keep Teys purely for his locker room presence and closeness with Joey if a definite upgrade can't be found.

We need an upgrade on Shorter someone with better decision making and a better shot. His antics and carry on late in the season should make Joey and the club think twice at bringing him back. Last night flexing when we're down 10 points said everything about the guy.

Reply #681791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For me Sobey is an issue. He's look at me antics have really hurt him this season and as such the 36rs. We win he jumps all over the players as if to ensure everyone sees HIM and focuses on HIM. Even last night turning and yelling at Drimic because he got beaten soundly all night. I don't doubt his talent just his attitude.

Reply #681794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide need to get Pura Milk back as a sponsor. It will come in handy when they need to put Sobey's face on the side of a milk carton.

Reply #681796 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I don't think Sobey gets enough credit for his defense this season. He took a big step back offensively, but when he was locked in defensively he was one of the better one-on-one defenders in the league.

Reply #681800 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

I would hold off making any import moves until I knew the status of Creek and DJ.
Shorter needs to go. Wouldn't keep Teys either.

Reply #681806 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"We win he jumps all over the players as if to ensure everyone sees HIM and focuses on HIM."

That is a load of rubbish. He did it once to celebrate a win and then the TEAM liked it so they adapted it as a ritual. I have no problem with that.

Reply #681814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bring back DJ upgrade Shorter to a guy who has an outisde shot that has to be respected by the D... and try as hard as possible to cut sobey a contract up. He has been a liability in a lot of games. Enough for mine that it has out weighed his highlights.

Reply #681816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I be retaining majority of the team,priority signing Johnson to long term deal.

Creek will stay with Sixers ,loves the fan base and Joey.

Our imports have done well this season,the best imports we have had for a while,however,I be looking at an import who can shoot consistent 3s ,not after Holt .

Edgar Sosa would be good for us ,shorter good player but his trash talk not good image for younger players.I be giving Romone Moore and Josh Childress another season .

I trade Hodgson,he hasn't done much this year for a tall Aussie

Drmic had a good season but got screwed by refs a lot .i keep drmic on Sixers team alongside others

Reply #681818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The league has worked out Hodgson has one post move, drop step and spin left. You need to have more options at this level. Like Brandt, develop an off hand baby hook.
Depends how hard he want to work though or just rely on his height.

Reply #681821 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'd trade Hodgson in a heartbeat too if we could he went so far backwards this season to the point if he weren't under contract I would be okay with replacing him with just a cheap big from the local league. He was basically a liability on the court this season.

Reply #681822 | Report this post

Sixers Fan  
Years ago

Bring back the vast majority of this team. I wouldn't mind seeing Shorter back, his attitude really motivates the other guys like DJ and Sobey who can be quite unmotivated. I’d like to see a lineup of :
Johnson / Hodgson
Childress* / Deng
Creek / Drmic
Sobey / Moore*
Dillard* / Hooley

Doyle and Teys provide nothing, if we could move on from them that’s a plus. Peter Hooley would be a great addition in that role however I don’t think Doyle will be going anywhere. Maybe Anfernee Simons who would come over on the Next Stars program would be a good fit as a capable scorer and 43% 3point shooter in HS.

If we were to move on from Shorter, it’d be a must to find a player who can both knock down the 3 consistently and can run the show on offense, Kevin Dillard is the best player I can think of who fits that mold.

Reply #681823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder whether he has the work ethic to succeed. He carried on like he was too shit beating up on the 6'6 Asian centres for the boomers but put him up against men and he goes to water.

Reply #681824 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"Bench
Doyle, Moore or similar type who can do a bit of everything (If can afford - would get bigger offers potentially), Drmic, Deng, Hodgson, With a young guy that has upside and you gamble on - potentially Heuir, Te Rangi or a kid out of college (Sam McDaniel?).

"

For the love of god, do not burden my team with Te Rangi! I beg of you.

"Johnson / Hodgson
Childress* / Deng
Creek / Drmic
Sobey / Moore*
Dillard* / Hooley"

Oooh... I like this team. Hodgson is going to have to justify his existence next season though or he can go kick rocks.

Reply #681831 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

At the end of the day, a lot has to do with whether the guys played to what Joey wanted them to play as.

I think the limited minutes played by Teys this season has shown that he needs to move on. Probably the only (Aussie) guys the Sixers would move along their way would be Larkins and Doyle. Doyle has a great work ethic and it is hard from #11 to hit a ton, but hasn't set the world alight when he has been on court. Those players always need to impress to go up a peg and I don't think they have necessarily moved up the pecking order.

But, a guy like Hooley threw caution into the wind and has put pressure on the guys in front of him.

Deng has had a great season and should grow as a player next season. Unless another club is offering Texas, retain his contract.

Hodgson could be a good draft bait for another club. Hasn't really set the world alight per se, but could take a few lessons from other centres around the league. I reckon if Hodgson had a weekly catch up with a guy like Knight or someone like that, he could improve his game. I'm not too sure if he would want to be remembered as a David Cooper.

Drmic is a little hot heated, but has definitely improved over the seasons and probably good value for money.

So as far as the Aussies I see it like this: DJ, Creek, Sobey, Deng (keep) Drmic (retain, or upgrade) Hodgson (trade, or put some effort into this guy!) Doyle (trade) Larkins, Teys (release)
With the imports: Childress (if he's not married, find him an Adelaide cheerleader GF). Moore/Shorter (can probably only really keep one as I think both are too similar, or not dis-similar) Import 3 - a 3 point shooter

Reply #681834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hodgson is under contract for next season, however if he and the club mutually agreed to part ways, it could happen. Wouldn't surprise me if this happened to be honest.

Drmic would have to take a pay cut to stay, as he was overpaid on the first two year deal from what I assume.

Teys is an interesting case, as he is currently captain, but IMO he is taking a possible spot of a player out of college with huge upside to build with.

I see movements within these guys, maybe not all three yet, but at some stage.

Reply #681841 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Just putting it out with Hodgson, but maybe trade to Sydney?

Reply #681844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL don't have trades mate

Reply #681846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would be a release

Reply #681847 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

yeah, you know what I mean. I'm sure if Hodgson wanted to play under a certain coach and it was sold well, then a win-win could be achieved

Reply #681852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Larkins needs to come back. After so many years as a development player you just know he's gonna show some development any day now, and his pressure defense with 30 seconds to go in game 5 just shows how valuable he is.

Reply #681853 | Report this post

ZMM  
Years ago

@ME - Abe is more than serviceable.

Reply #681855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please not Hooley, poor bball IQ, average shooter no upgrade on Doyle. I'd rather Adnam, somehow got buried on MU's depth chart but with a import PG and Doyle another PG is not needed.

I'd be happy to keep Childress, Moore and Shorter and add another big guy at the expense of Teys.

Reply #681856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you were to keep Shorter you would need a 3 point gunner like Sosa. He should not be shooting any 3s unless it's late in the shot clock or if you're up by 20.

Hodgson is worth keeping but the need to invest in him as a previous post mentioned. Maybe they thought Boomers duty would do this but Chinese Taipei are not a serviceable opponent.

Reply #681866 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Childress cant stay on the court, not worth it for mine. Great player, but just not durable enough to be relied upon

Reply #681869 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

for those that didn't see ch9 news .. shorter and romone are back .. and childress is asked to come back... but he is not sure yet...
and joey would like to keep everyone .... if they don't ask for tooo much money..

Reply #681882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Happy with Moore returning but don't want to watch another season of Shorter flexing and carrying on when he’s not performing.

Reply #681885 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Id like to see us bring basically everyone back and add another big maybe Majok Majok from Melbourne something like

I also like the idea of a guy like Hooley at back up PG, id say he is an upgrade on Doyle or Teys

Johnson/Majok/Hodgson
Childress/Deng
Creek/Drmic
Sobey/Moore
Shorter/Hooley

Given we made GF i dont see the need to make mass changes, unless we somehow find loads of extra $$$ to find more fringe NBA imports or something instead of say Shorter

Reply #681894 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I like the idea of Majok Majok joining the team. His opportunities have disappeared at United with nothing seen that would suggest it's necessarily caused by his ability.

Reply #681895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Majok has everything bar touch around the rim. He needs to be able to finish the cheapies and he can play good minutes in this league.

Reply #681896 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

If Adelaide are serious about going one step further then upgrading Shorter is a good idea IMO.

Reply #681899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Randle is a solid upgrade.. but we dropped the ball on that one.

Reply #681902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Randle = zero chemistry for the whole team. Guys move on from Randle, they parted ways.

Reply #681903 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

adelsaide advertiser:

Sixers import trio keen to return

ADELAIDE has started informal talks with its three imports - Josh Childress, Shannon Shorter and Ramone Moore - who have indicated an initial desire to return to the 36ers next season.

Reply #681905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hooley is no chance of being with Adelaide next season. Doyle would have to be paid out, and it's another guy who can’t shoot. It wouldn’t make any sense

Reply #681910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doyle, Hodgson, Sobey and Deng are contracted for next year and are not going anywhere. Stupid to suggest buying any of them out, won't happen.

I just hope Creek and Childress comeback, the 2 we are most likely to lose if things don't go our way.

Reply #681914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You bring all the same guys back, were is the 3 point shooting coming from?

That game style can wear guys out pretty quick!

Reply #681917 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Why in the hell would we bring back Shorter to continue to stuff it up under pressure, has average D and no damaging drive and average 3 point shooter that the team needs to open up keyway for our driving game style.
Do we need him for his muscle flexing or trash talk or those constant chats to Joey during game.
We have to get a top 3 shooter and best way is with a import and keeping Moore and even if Childress does not stay must have a big as United bigs killed us inside and rebounding.

Reply #681919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shorter was far better than Sobey in Game 5. Not even close.

Reply #681925 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Was he overall .
Shorter only got points at end when game over and he did not want to pass ball .
But my highlight was after Goulding , Ware taken him to cleaners , he missed easy lay ups and shots with turnovers thrown in and team getting thrashed and finally scores and runs down with muscle flex. WOW.

Reply #681933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His antics fired up United in the fourth. He cost his team a chance at winning.

Reply #681937 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Not many changes required. Seems to be good chemistry, talent and flexibility. A lot will depend on what players are willing to sign for.

Need another reliable rebounder and rim defender so we don't have to rely on Hodgson, who has shown plenty of ability, but has yet to learn how to minimise fouls and earn the referee’s respect.

I’m ok with all three imports returning at the right price, but Childress’ age and injury history concerns me a little. If we could get that reliable big then he’s the first import I’d replace.

It’s really critical to retain DJ and Creek as the core of the team and I’d be working hard to lock up Deng for our future. Drmic would be nice to retain for his outside shooting and hustle on the defensive boards, but it would depend on cost.

Other than that, I think we need to improve the team’s responses to adversity on court - whether it is the refereeing or niggle and baiting from opposing teams. Sobey, Drmic and Hodgson in particular need to keep improving in this area!

Reply #681941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #681944 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Weak links at 6ers;

Shorter
Teys
Hodgson
Doyle

Given Hodgson is contracted and Doyle is really nothing more than training fodder I think you need to look at upgrading Shorter and Teys.

Upgrade Shorter with Ryan Boatright/Kevin Dillard/Edgar Sosa

Upgrade Teys with a college kid with potential in the SG/SF spot.

At the very worst you upgrade Shorter...we wont win a Championship with him as the the PG.

Reply #681951 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"Upgrade Shorter with Ryan Boatright/Kevin Dillard/Edgar Sosa

Upgrade Teys with a college kid with potential in the SG/SF spot.

At the very worst you upgrade Shorter...we wont win a Championship with him as the the PG.

"

Absolutely. Shannon Shorter is actually a "good" player, but I don't think anyone is going to win this competition with just a "good" point guard when you're running around playing against Bryce Cotton and Casper Ware.

Reply #681954 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Josh Gray is another I'd be looking at in the PG spot.

Travis Trice if you want to go a known qty.

Reply #681998 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'd be really happy with Trice but I said the same last year with Dillard. These guys would likely be out of the Sixers price range especially with trying to re-sign DJ, possibly Creek and Chill & Mone Moore too. Shorter would've come reasonably cheap so we likely did pretty well with him really.

Reply #682000 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Doyle is a keeper. Solid with the ball, knows what Joey wants.

Larkins has nothing to offer us, should be gone. A pure Asian shooter would be good. Can use the Asian development player spot. There are a few decent shooters in the 2-3 spots.

Reply #682031 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Shorter is very solid as a complementary piece. If Creek isn't there next season you'd want something more than Shorter at the point. But he's better than people here give him credit for

Reply #682040 | Report this post

NannasAlwaysRight  
Years ago

flick off hodgson, useless.
got into the boomers side how I don't know?

teys; bench warming isn't depth

those sup players like sam johns, I don't get why they have been sup players for how long and get nowhere.

Reply #682345 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

What kind of knee surgery is Hodgeson having?

Reply #682366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shorter --> Cedric Jackson

Reply #682400 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If they can bring back the stronger pieces, I'd keep Shorter in. Serviceable enough. I don't really care about the flexing if the effort is there and he does his bit, which I think is true of both.

Sobey plays both ends, so I'm reluctant to rubbish him for a down season on offence. We can probably cover for him if he disappeared though.

Doyle was fine for an 11th man. He's pretty reliable and had a three-year deal, I thought.

I think Teys is where they can upgrade to a bench shooter. There are barely minutes for Drmic and Deng, let alone someone whose best court attributes at this point are probably "good guy", "doesn't rock the boat" and "isn't bad on D". When you have three fairly reliable imports, I think you want gamebreakers in the mix.

Reply #683028 | Report this post

Pointybits  
Years ago

Very strong rumour is Creek heading to Brisbane along with Cadee & Gliddon. National coach recruiting fringe Boomers?
Of course not.

Reply #683030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have to question Joey's signing of Adam Doyle.

Gave him a long contract when he has very little upside. Yes, he is a good teammate and ok on court in very short bursts, but that's it. Adam is a very good Premier League player but has done very little in levels above that.

Joey has barely used him and seems to regard the 11th spot on the roster as an unnecessary extra.

Why not use it then to give a younger player the opportunity to show what he has got. Potentially a bonus for the team and not much of a loss otherwise.

Come on Joey, work a bit harder on your roster. Let Doyle go and get a youngster that supporters can take an interest in. Or get someone who has more game.

Reply #683420 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I don't think they will be letting Doyle go with two years still remaining on his contract.

Reply #683423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doyle must be a Joey favourite much like Teys and Big Joe. Those guys will keep getting reupped.

Reply #683427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do they need a young, promising development player when they have the best one in SA already? Or are you idiots gonna say he should get rid of Larkins as well?

Reply #683428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek is under contract for next season.

Reply #683434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So was Hodgson

Reply #683435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm hoping Adelaide keep Shannon Shorter, of course I wouldn't want him on my team.

Reply #684484 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:17 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754