Anonymous
Years ago

Church of Christ Comp

Does anyone here play in the Chrusch of Christ comp during winter on Saturday afternoons?

Topic #4303 | Report this topic

Kwest  
Years ago

Yeh I do...

Reply #49996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What grade/team?

The umpiring in that comp is the worst I have ever seen.

Reply #50000 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

A Grade - Nailsworth... and yes the umpiring is disgraceful. Our best player got his wrist broken on a fast break flagrant last week --only to get no foul called.

Reply #50010 | Report this post

Go O  
Years ago

does someone called telfar or telfer play a grade for nailsworth?

Reply #50011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Used too but it was too rough so we left

Reply #50015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

we? was there more than one telfer?

Reply #50016 | Report this post

Pegs  
Years ago

If you think the umpiring in Church of Christ is bad, you need to get out more. It is just the same as everywhere else, including District, SA Church and Social.

Telfer left because it was too rough? You have got to be kidding me! Wasn't he the cause of the rough stuff? He was a certain case of white line fever...

Reply #50019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pegs are you serious - telfer is about 5 foot nothing and 60 kg. as if he could rough anyone up.

Reply #50020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Church of Christ should be ashamed of themselves the way they run that place.

Umpiring is only the start of their problems.

Reply #50024 | Report this post

Notorious  
Years ago

The current Brighton U20s team will take the out the GF this weekend. You wanna see some action get down to Morphettvale Saturday arvo. The umpiring for us has been deplorable in some games with shocking tech fouls been given to some of our players for stupid things.

Reply #50029 | Report this post

Pegs  
Years ago

Of course I could have the wrong guy :-0

Reply #50033 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

James Telfer played one season of A Grade.. before injuring himself.. he played a bit of c grade this year. He neither left because it got too rough, nor started the roughness.

Peg - Maybe youre thinking of a certain Mr Walladge who had a serious case of white line fever.

Reply #50034 | Report this post

DJM  
Years ago

Anonymous wrote:

'Church of Christ should be ashamed of themselves the way they run that place. Umpiring is only the start of their problems.'

It is important to remember that all such competitions are run purely by volunteers who love basketball. There may be problems in your opinion, however good on them for getting out there and promoting basketball.

Reply #50040 | Report this post

BMG  
Years ago

Notorious, that would be one of the problems with the CofC comp. Ring-ins. People who have no association with the Church brining in a bunch of district players. Brighton are "notorious" for this. A few years ago the Brighton womens team (ie South U20's) were beaten by a team of over 40's in a final. It is not in the spirit of the cometition.

Also, how can the umpiring be so much worse when these are the same refs that umpire your social and district ball?

Reply #50058 | Report this post

Notorious  
Years ago

I've played for Brighton Church of Christ since I was 8 years old. Long before I started playing district basketball

Reply #50063 | Report this post

BMG  
Years ago

So did I, so did a lot of people. I wasn't having a go at you personally.

I think that CofC ball is a great springboard to district for juniors and I think some district coaches should pay more attention to players in this competition.

Reply #50112 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

I'm a "graduate" of Brighton Church of Christ, as is Kelly Manning (!). Spent many seasons on the pine in the green and white.

Reply #50114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brighton brag about how many teams they have in the comp, along with Happy Valley. Anyone could do this if they want to recruit from outside the church.

If they are going to let anyone play, then they have to be more relaxed about swearing and stuff like that. If you swear in this comp, you will get ejected and reported and get a week for it.

Reply #50116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

without the players from "outside the church" this competition would have died years and years ago,so be a little less scathing re players.
I would think that a christian attitude here is lacking

Reply #50117 | Report this post

BMG  
Years ago

It's not the comp or the refs who let anyone play, it is the Church that lets them play for them.

On the other hand, refs have always been a bit tougher on swearing etc in this comp, and so they should. ANd i should know. I received a tech for swearing at myself after missing an easy lay up.

Reply #50153 | Report this post

BMG  
Years ago

Would anyone care to post the results of the finals here? Thanks

Reply #50546 | Report this post

Notorious  
Years ago

Brighton U20 Mens won. A very close first half but eventually overcame Blackwood.

Reply #50547 | Report this post

JigJagJiggala  
Years ago

For me there was no doubt that brighton would win.. from the start they were jesus.. haha goddamnit.. i cant say it on the court haha

Reply #50549 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

marion took out E grade men's, winning by 10ish, missing one of their best players.

Reply #50551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Congratulations to the Brighton u/20's side, they played well (more-so in the 2nd 1/2!) and beat us with a good team game.

Reply #50564 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:48 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754