Isaac
Years ago

Hodgson granted release from 36ers contract

Olgun Uluc on Twitter:

Matt Hodgson requested a release from the final year of his contract, and the Adelaide 36ers granted it, per a source. The starting centre of the Boomers' qualifying team is now a free agent.

Topic #43080 | Report this topic

Camel 31  
Years ago

Thought he would , watching him on the bench , 5 minutes on the court. His form not as good as previous season.
Gets on pretty good with lemanis...

Reply #683341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No championship in 5 years.

Now the team is starting to look like it's falling apart.

Well at least Joey managed to secure Doyley.

Reply #683346 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

No big loss and easily replaceable.

Reply #683347 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Good move....he was taking up a roster for a player Joey could utilise more.

Hopefully we can get another bargain player as Hodgson wasn't on mush money

Reply #683349 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Would anyone besides Brisbane want him?

Reply #683351 | Report this post

Titan26  
Years ago

Rumour has it that Joey's antics during the finals with the media have not resounded well within the playing group and we could see more than just Hodgson walking away from the finals team this off-season. As Boti reported Sobey, DJ & Creek could also all be out the door decimating the top end Australian talent the 36ers need to continue to be a contender.

Reply #683352 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Hopefully we can get another bargain player as Hodgson wasn't on mush money

That big Kiwi DP from Melb Tohi Smith-Milner might want to move for a spot on a roster and more playing time? He'd be a big upgrade on the likes of Hodgson anyway.

Reply #683356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hodgson doing the Sixers a favour. Surprised as he struggled so badly that he would risk not having a job. But then again maybe the development was non-existent in terms of bigs coaching at the Sixers for him to move.

Reply #683358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey's antics vs. contract length have really left the Sixers in a conundrum.

Reply #683359 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

As Boti reported Sobey, DJ & Creek could also all be out the door

Where did Boti say this?

Reply #683360 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Hodgson doing the Sixers a favour. Surprised as he struggled so badly that he would risk not having a job.

I would be willing to bet he's got another spot lined up. A guy of his standing is not going to walk away from a guaranteed NBL contract without already locking up a gig elsewhere. He's fortunate to even be in the NBL as it is.

Reply #683362 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I'd say he's far from "fortunate to even be in the NBL". He's limited, sure, but there's not exactly a wealth of homegrown talent at his position. Could do far worse. Would be a good pickup for someone like the Hawks I reckon.

Reply #683363 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Yeah with Hawks losing Kay and Jervis not exercising his player option yet.

Reply #683366 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

I reckon he is more a victim of the system Joey has chosen to run & to some extent, the personality of the coach.

He is foul prone & there is little love between Joey & the refs. Otherwise, he has his strengths in the right system. Perhaps a less up-tempo team with a lot of perimeter firepower.

Reply #683367 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

I just never liked the balance of having DJ backed up by someone like Hodgson.

It's been said time and time again but all Adelaide need is a no thrills, strong bodied big man who can rebound and play D so long as DJ is the starting 5.

Reply #683371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek is contracted so Boti has that well wrong

Reply #683372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could be a good pickup for the cats. Id wager hodgson could improve like Brandt in the cats program.

Reply #683373 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'd say he's far from "fortunate to even be in the NBL". He's limited, sure, but there's not exactly a wealth of homegrown talent at his position.

Come on he's SEABL standard. The guy can't stay on the court for more than five minutes because he's a fouling machine with nothing going on between his ears and he has hands of stone. How many times I saw that guy fumble, get stripped, throw balls out of court, blow lay ups under the basket I'll never know.

He's a liability on a basketball court and even though it was obvious Joey didn't want to play him we had to in patches I mean he can't even grab a rebound. We'd be better off bringing a washed up Schenscher out of semi-retirement than him.

Reply #683374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL at the people that think Creek and Sobey are "out the door". They are both contracted, and if Creek was to 'leave', it would be for an NBA opportunity for which Joey would fully support!

Sobey has a year left on his contract, and he will play next season.

Joey is an exceptional coach, who has helped Adelaide a great deal on a low budget with an exciting brand of basketball. They were cellar dwellers years previous to Joey under some "great coaches".

He will be around the mark again next year with the team he puts on the court.

Reply #683377 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Boti's story yesterday was about DJ getting interest. His previous one about Creek was about the German contract, the plan to play G-League in the off-season if the 36ers didn't make finals and NBA potential in his future. His mention of Sobey was about something else. The combined talk of all three is specific to the other thread on here.

Boti re Creek:

Creek already had to forego plans to play in the G-League when the NBL concluded, because the 36ers went all the way to five games in the grand finals.

"Mitch was supposed to go to the G-League but went so late into the NBL that the (G-League) season is pretty much over," a spokesman for Mogul Sports in New York said.

Master Chief:
I just never liked the balance of having DJ backed up by someone like Hodgson.

It's been said time and time again but all Adelaide need is a no thrills, strong bodied big man who can rebound and play D so long as DJ is the starting 5.
On paper, that's the description of Hodgson. It's just that the reality was foul trouble and errors, presumably enough that Joey didn't see many opportunities for him in Adelaide.

Losing Creek/Sobey/Johnson would be bad, but a Hodgson move might be best for both parties.

Reply #683379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth WildAdelaide SixerCats

Reply #683380 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Isaac, that may be so but it just seemed to me that Hodgson had a skill set that made it tempting to use him in a number of ways but not necessarily in a way that suited the balance of the team and obviously didn't suit Hodgson at all. For instance he could come in and get on a roll offensively with some crafty hook shots and score 10-15 points but not grab any important rebounds, and like you say just fumble or get into foul trouble. He's kind of like DJ in the sense he's a slightly unorthdox and sometimes awkward looking mover. I'd just prefer someone who comes in and doesn't need to do much to be subtly effective. I can think of a further developed Eric Jacobsen type who fits this need. Even Smith-Milner or Patton for Cairns could just come on and play this role.

But you're right. It just hasn't necessarily worked out the way most expected this season and both parties are probably better off moving on. Hodgson just needs a more consistant role too.

Reply #683384 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I have been quite disappointed with Hodgson's development this year.

I didn't expect a superstar but I had high hopes for at least a Tom Jervis type output. Keyway protection, rebounds and the odd putback and some hard screens.

But he regressed this year and I could never work out why.

If both parties felt it was better for each other to separate them there must have been something there.

I wish Hodgson the best wherever he goes because I don't believe he is a dud.

Reply #683391 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Rumour has it that Joey's antics during the finals with the media have not resounded well within the playing group

How would that be an issue with the playing group? Why would a player care if their coach gave plain, short and unimaginative answers to the press?

Reply #683392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perhaps they tired of tripping over the dummy?

Reply #683395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hodgy would be fine when playing a zone as can camp under the basket but seeing him come out well past the 3 when defending was just frustrating. 2 things happen every time - he would foul the guard or his man would get a layup.

Reply #683396 | Report this post

Ariel 86  
Years ago

Didn't he play really well in the Asia qualifiers?

Thought he looked real solid there

Reply #683398 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Its easy for a big to look good against undersized players that are nowhere near NBL level talent, though.

Reply #683400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now just to get rid of Joey.

Reply #683406 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Hodgson either to:
1 Hawks to replace Nick Kay (Perth?)
2.Bullets to replace Jervis (Perth?)
3.Kings to replace Humphreys

Reply #683407 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Now just to get rid of Joey.

Why would you get rid of a coach that gives you 2 GF appearances and 1 minor premiership?

And who would you replace with?

Reply #683411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plenty of decent candidates to replace wright with. That team needs a new voice. He has no game plan the moment plan A goes out the window.

In both grand final appearances we have been absolutely blown off the court in the decider, those teams simply were not mentally ready for battle on the day.

Plus his overall demneour is an embarrassment etc etc

Reply #683412 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

I wouldn't want to see Hodgson in Brisbane. I know he's a local, but yeah nah thanks.

Reply #683415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Why would a player care if their coach gave plain, short and unimaginative answers to the press?"

Because he made a dick of himself, and maybe the players expected better?

Reply #683416 | Report this post

NJS  
Years ago

Brisbane could do with both Jervis and Hodgson if Bairstow isn't returning.

Reply #683419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think Hodgson could go
- Brisbane back up to Jervis?
- Perth back up to Brandt?
- Sydney - replace Humphries?
- Illawarra - replace Forman and/or Kay

Potential Hodgson replacements
- Majok Majok?
- Tohi Smith-Milner?

Reply #683421 | Report this post

Sixers Fan  
Years ago

Lol at those who said this was the result of Joey's press antics.

This is a great move for both parties. Adelaide should use this cash to either upgrade from Shorter at point guard or if they’re willing to spend a bit more try to add another top level Aussie e.g. Motum. Also hearing that Newley could be plying his trade back home this season

Reply #683431 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

IMHO, What Hodgson needed was a good athletics (running) coach to get the mechanics of his running gait and core strength addressed.
He was clearly well coordinated foot/leg/arm as far as lowpost pivots were concerned so he was no some unco-gumby neurologically, he just had never been taught how to run basket to basket with his head up, or how to change direction without coming to a complete balanced stop. .

I had hoped to see that happen for him last season.

I actually thimk he had the build to be in a running game,

Reply #683433 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Neither party was really getting what it would have wanted from the relationship and that didn;t look like it would change next season. Probabnly best for both parties to part ways.

Hodgson's career trajectory on SpatialJam is interesting to look at - https://spatialjam.com/nbl-historical-stats

His minutes were down this season relative to last but his productivity and a couple of other stats were better. Also interesting to look at his DRE rating in the first half of the season and in the second half. Worst ratings of his career in the first half and best of his career in the second half.

Reply #683437 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

"Why would you get rid of a coach that gives you 2 GF appearances and 1 minor premiership?"

Sounds like Fearne's resume. Take him. Go on Adelaide, I dare you.

Reply #683441 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Yeah right, Fearne made the playoffs three times in nine years, Joey's made the playoffs four times in five years with us.

Reply #683445 | Report this post

holic  
Years ago

Daniel Johnson has been Perth bound for a few months now. Hodgson is either Sydney or Melbourne bound.More likely Sydney.

Reply #683457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha, plenty of great decent candidates to replace Joey. Start your list then. Most can't even get candidates for the other open positions.
He's a winner, must burn people up like you everytime they have a successful season.

Reply #683461 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

It was always a tough ask to play 3 out of 5 games minus Childress. Be interested to see Joey set up and coach a team that cost as much as United too.

Reply #683462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Udog Joey had a team like that - the Eddy Grove$ Bullet$ but only came out of all the $$$ with one title. Yet to win one without big money.

Reply #683466 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

When he first became a coach right.

Reply #683471 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Anon #683466 - Name me a coach recently who hasn't won a championship without big money?

Reply #683476 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

One thing to remember is that Adelaide only fell by 3 points in game three in Melbourne with Sobey outed for the second half. Coulda, woulda doesn't count but with Sobey playing the second half, then Adelaide might have pinched Game 3 and then won in Game 4 in Adelaide for the Championship. Puts a different slant on Joey's record then .... but it didn't happen.

Reply #683479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Sobey played that half, then Deng doesn't have a standout game, so coulda shoulda woulda that too.

Reply #683481 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Daniel Johnson has been Perth bound for a few months now. Hodgson is either Sydney or Melbourne bound.More likely Sydney.
Johnson is staying in Adelaide.

Wonder if we'll see Creek stay abroad and Newley take his spot? Newley has his second kid and the lure of family support would be stronger.

I don't get the Wright detractors. The results are pretty decent and it's made for an entertaining team. Getting to five games against a very strong team, and without what was probably your form player, is decent. They had leads in G1 and G3 on the road, and could well have taken G3 and played for 3-1 at home if the Sobey stuff hadn't gone down. Every other coach bar one had a poorer finish this season. Club had a change in ownership, lost their best import in the finals series, replaced an import, etc.

Reply #683488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The team plays attractively but hasn't won a championship in five years under Joey.

How long before not winning a championship becomes important?

Coach comes across as arrogant and petulant.

Coach Wright turning into Coach Wrong?

Reply #683497 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

He's done a great job of recruiting and developing young talent so far. Just bad luck and dodgy league issues cost him this year. The 36ers were ramping up when Childress went down. Who knows what would have happened there.

Reply #683502 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Good on him for highlighting the crappy reffing and the unlevel playing field that Melbourne enjoyed.

Reply #683503 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Anon #683497 - There are only 2 coaches who have won championships in the last 4 years. Both of whom have been operating under bigger budgets than Joey...you're a peanut!

Reply #683505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly, seven other coaches haven't won championships this season and only Gleeson, Vickerman the last few. I think joey got stop them versus us syndrome a little but he’s a good coach.

Reply #683508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Give it a rest Udog. For all the supposed unfair advantages that Melbourne had, Adelaide were right in it until the final quarter of game 5 but then their core went AWOL. Why not focus on that for a change.

Reply #683524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Udag is the saltiest of them all.

Reply #683525 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Isaac, i think everyone would love to see that scenario unfold regarding Newley. Maybe in the same way Bryce Gibbs is finally a crow. It just feels right.

Reply #683526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Newley spent last season sulking and looking after his stats.

Sydney fans more than happy to see him move to Adelaide.

Reply #683527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When you have one of the most inept coaches in history would you try hard and not "look after your stats" so you can get a better deal next season?

Reply #683528 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Why are we talking about Marty Clarke now though?

Reply #683550 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Yes...Marty Clarke coached Sydney.

Reply #683554 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

No..No no, he didn't , he simply coached FOR sydney , along with almost every other team when we played against them.

Reply #683567 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:02 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754