Jack
Years ago

Keilor Thunder to play SEABL 2019

I hear the Thunder are moving from Big V to SEABL for 2019. Will they be competitive?

Topic #43093 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Knox also?

Reply #683607 | Report this post

GM  
Years ago

How long since Keilor played SEABL, somewhere in the mid 1990's?

Reply #683628 | Report this post

thatguyontheend  
Years ago

I love the idea of Keilor going to SEABL expands more out west which is a growing area for basketball, they have a capable stadium.

Knox haven't been in SEABL for sometime and was a shame to see them drop out due to replying to a few wrong emails.

Great news for the growth of the semi-pro game here and will only help create better basketballers, referee and coaching opportunities.

But will it dilute the talent poll??

Reply #683636 | Report this post

BB  
Years ago

Surely if Keilor are looking to do this then it is time to call for a restructuring of the entire senior basketball ranks in Victoria.

What if the top division looked like:
Nunawading
Geelong
Kilsyth
Frankston
Dandenong
Bendigo
Ballarat
Sandringham
Albury Wodonga

And then 3 of:
Diamond Valley
Melbourne
1 Tasmanian team (?)
AIS (?)
Ringwood
Waverley
Eltham
Keilor

Make them divisions of 12, promotion/relegation, conference the 3rd Division if there are too many teams.

For me, it doesn't make sense for Keilor to got to SEABL, just like it didn't make sense for the struggling Diamond Valley and Melbourne senior programs to move. A lot of extra money being spent for what doesn't seem to be a massive reward. Make it a proper state competition and watch it grow.

Reply #683644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, SEABL is another glorified national yet Victorian league, just like the AFL.

Reply #683671 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Keilor or Werribee would have made sense as a Team in the Western growth area is smart.

DV & Tigers are interesting ones as i can;t see the benefit to anyone particularly Tigers!

There is alot of growth only 20 mins from DV so if Whittlesea or Hume weren't stepping up it makes sense to get in first.

Reply #683698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to hear. I reckon they will do well!

Reply #683850 | Report this post

thatguyontheend  
Years ago

Tigers is a grab at not being the NBL anymore and trying to run a program that has potential for them to come back one day ... blah blah blah (see example in soccer with South Melbourne)

DV is a massive growth area for basketball and there is a huge push for a new stadium, if they capture the local area well they should have great crowds and financial support. Opening night was something else and I think its a great move.

Keilor and Werribee why not! we lose kids to footy because they can play part time pro earn good coin and keep a day job why shouldn't basketball look to offer that where it can.

Reply #684028 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

So does the Tigers thing just fade away in the next few years? Seems they don't have a great following or local support and they don't seem a draw to players or fans.

Reply #684035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm excited for Keillor (and Werribee?) on the move. Exciting for them.

When DV announced their move there was loads of talk about Ringwood and Eltham following them across. Where is that all at with them? Surely SEABL can’t take all of them.

Reply #684154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The question is are Eltham and Ringwood still looking at moving up?

Reply #684155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ringwood can't play SEABL with the stadium how it currently is, it's too small. They either have to upgrade the stadium or relocate before they'll be allowed in.

Reply #684159 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:01 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754