KET
Years ago

Foxtel and 7 claim Cricket TV rights

Seven West Media will become the next free-to-air broadcaster for cricket and end Nine's four-decade stranglehold on the sport, but a large number of matches could be held back for pay-TV in a $1 billion deal to be announced on Friday.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/seven-and-foxtel-nab-cricket-broadcasting-rights-in-1-billion-deal-20180413-p4z9cq.html

So perhaps an NBL and 7 deal is less likely now. That leaves Ten Network with only motorsport...but the rocky relationship between NBL and Ten make that perhaps an unlikely scenario.

I also wonder how much Foxtel will care about the NBL now that they have a ton of cricket to show.

Topic #43097 | Report this topic

TimberBall  
Years ago

So now 7 can delay the telecast of cricket matches like they did to basketball and now footy. Good deal.

Reply #683653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nine get the tennis and Seven get the cricket WTF. Don't really care only watch Australian open tennis and cricket as boring as watching grass grow.

Reply #683656 | Report this post

Tribe  
Years ago

NBL will probably stay on foxtel.
Fox Sports have 6 or 7 sport channels now, won't all be cricket.

Reply #683664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Towards the end of the NBL season there was no room left because every league was active. Add in cricket and Fox will be even less interested in NBL.

But also I really have to echo the "WTF!" - it seems in Australia it's always the same old flogging the same old crap to us. Wow, TV rights change but all it is is Nine and Seven swapping sports. *YAWN!* No one cares about cricket and even with tennis once Aus Open is over no one cares or follows tennis the other eleven months of the year.

Reply #683667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Foxtel could pay for more channel space you know, or get rid of some other channels

Reply #683678 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

"No one cares about cricket"

Geez you could have told 7 & FOX about this before they paid a billion dollars for the rights

Reply #683680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A few years ago several media analytical companies came out to say that they advised Nine to quit on the cricket as it was COSTING THEM each year, i.e. net revenue from advertising didn't cover the rights. But Nine ignored them and kept on supporting it. A lot of the "big sports" in Australia are actually subsidised. Cricket in 2018 is irrelevant but the media artificially inflate it.

Reply #683682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The last NBL season was longer due to the FIBA blackouts. Next season likely to be back to a 'normal' length and should then not crossover as much with the other codes.

Reply #683691 | Report this post

INCORRECT ^ THERE ARE FIBA ASIA WINDOWS IN NOV/FEB NEXT SEASON

Reply #683692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love the FIBA windows, much like FIFA now. Also extends our short season!

Reply #683693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#682 could not agree more, old fashioned media still plug it, even against the old enemy last season crowds were down and ratings.

Reply #683695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

9 didn't have the big bash though. Having that packaged in with the international cricket could change crickets overall profitability. I have no idea if it does make any difference, but could potentially as the big bash has been a huge success.

Reply #683700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"old fashioned media"

Our media seems to stick with old people. Unlike most transparent markets (e.g. US) the younger demographic in their 20s and 30s are king.

Reply #683724 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Yep agree. The media is very old fashioned and love to persist with sports that are clearly no where near as popular as they used to be.

But hey, isnt basketball dead according to some experts?

Anyway, I think 9 did well here. Tennis is the far more attractive product than the dying old test cticket is.

Reply #683760 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

There'd be more opportunities for nbl on 7 network than 9 network now.

Tennis season seems to be around 2 months in Australia (Dec-Jan). Whilst there are gaps between tournaments, channel 7 was broadcasting tennis consistently on 2 channels simultaneously, especially at night. I haven’t noticed any sports taking over all 3 channels of any broadcaster simultaneously, and I’m guessing they like to keep an alternative for non sports fans.

Cricket seemed to be only on 1 channel at a time (except when the BBL was in competition on another network).

So it’s likely that channel 7 would still have a secondary channel available for NBL.

The NBL used to have an advantage in playing games at night, with more mainstream sports (eg football codes) playing in daylight hours due to lack of suitable lighting. Now there’s a lot more footy played at night, so more competition for night time broadcast slots. Even test cricket is being played at night now.

I think the mainstream media networks persist with what has worked in the past. Participation rates for juniors aren’t necessarily reflected in consumer rates (ticket sales and broadcast audiences) for the products they’re involved with.

Reply #683767 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:46 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754