AngusH
Years ago

Breakers sign Weeks

According to Uluc. Interesting. Breakers signing Aussies again.

Topic #43167 | Report this topic

Dome Rat  
Years ago

Breakers will load up on cheap locals and 3 massive imports

Reply #685284 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I'm assuming they think Ili can start though, which is strange given PG is a no-brainer for imports. Don't see any other reason why they would take a backup PG.

Reply #685285 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Hmm Braswell must have already a few combo guard imports he's targetting & these 2 young local PGs are more for future strategies.

Reply #685289 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Cairns can't even hold onto Weeks. What an embarrassment of a club.

Reply #685291 | Report this post

Fryz  
Years ago

It's the nature of chequebook warfare. If this is the league they want, then good luck to them. With Nick Kay, with very modest career averages of 11/5, getting a rumoured 400k, if there's any value in a player, a larger club with price everyone else out.

Reply #685293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A rumoured 400k, or a completely made up 400k?

Reply #685297 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

If Kay is on $400k, good luck to the Wildcats. I like Kay a lot, but I'd rather an import 4 if that's his value.

Reply #685299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weeks is not a good player in any case. No need to write Cairns off because they let him go.

Reply #685302 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I don't believe that for a moment you could count on one hand the number of guys that were on $400k or more last season.

Half that, maybe.

Reply #685304 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Most salaries on this forum are fictitious.
Would be on good $$ anyway.
Back to topic good signing for NZ with Ili.
Wonder if Breakers will go with an import point guard.

Reply #685306 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Braswell wants C-Webster back but NZ probably can't afford him anymore anyway

Reply #685313 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Great signing, pretty happy to have Weeks at the Breakers

Reply #685314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weeks can play and is a great leader on an off court asset. Anyone that says that he isn't a good player knows nothing about Weeks. NZ offer big money in the NBL off season and good luck to Weeksy.

Reply #685318 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

ROFL Kay on $400k and the Wildcats paying that much? hahaha... idiot...

A bit crazy that Cairns can't even hold onto Weeksy... Perhaps going with a new coaching direction wasn't the best idea?

Reply #685320 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Considering Weeks gets dizzy wasting time b4 shot clock expires NZ can have him.
The only possible player left they wanted was Loughton & he's signed.

Reply #685321 | Report this post

Green33  
Years ago

If clubs pay overs for players - in this case Weeks - how is it a criticism of a club like Cairns. Why pay more than you should for bench players?

Reply #685322 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Who said NZ is paying a ton for him? He may just want to play for a franchise that experiences success

Reply #685324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not going to overrate him myself, but it's funny how some people's opinions of Kay have suddenly shifted now he's signed with the Wildcats

Reply #685325 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Ili and Weeks will share the 40 mins at one guard position, they'll get a 35 min per game stud import combo guard and a 5 min per game developing local to back him up. Weeks and Ili can both play off the ball at times when you need your stud to have the ball. Good move by the breakers.

Reply #685327 | Report this post

Green33  
Years ago

Who said their paying unders or got him on the cheap?

Reply #685329 | Report this post

Green33  
Years ago

Sorry they're*

Reply #685330 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Ili
Amazing import
Abercrombie
Amazing import
Pledger

Weeks
Ngatai (who will have a breakout year)
Delany
Loe
And whatnot

This team is the one to watch next season. Do exactly what they did last season and see where they're deficient and get an import mid-season to help that. As of right now, this team is as good a chance as any to win the championship imo

Reply #685331 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Their ownership credentials (and I assume deep pockets) will ensure they get blockbuster imports.

Biggest question mark is the coach

Reply #685332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You forgot Wesley.

Reply #685333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Wesley signed

Reply #685335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Wesley signed

Reply #685336 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Is Wesley an import this year?

Reply #685339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would have liked to have seen weeks in the nz NBL first. See how he goes against local talent.

I year or so back he couldn't get a gig. Some clubs gave him a chance and now he proves he belongs. But he’s not a rock star. Not someone you build a club around. He’s a role player. Somewhat strange to sign a role player now if you are a breaker. Does this rule out signing either of the Webster boys?

You sign you big guns and then see if there is some locals who can fill the role players.

Reply #685340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whatnot better pull down some more rebounds this season if he wants to keep his spot

Reply #685344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Word is that both Weeks and whatnot are on $400K.

Reply #685355 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Wow pounced on a bench player, and Cairns are doomed. You muppets are laughable Cairns will field a strong line up.

Reply #685376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

400k over 3 maybe

Reply #685380 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Amazing import

Amazing import

And whatnot

Is this how Cairns plans its rosters?

Tell me who was the Amazing import? Jerry Evans Jnr?

Reply #685386 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Agree with Manu, Ngatai is going to have a massive season (NBL fantasy pickup for sure).

As for Weeks, I'm a big fan of having bench players that have previously started during their careers and Weeks has started 10-15 games which whilst he isn't better than Ili is still more than he has and if he takes that belief that he has one advantage over Shea then could be an interesting first few training sessions until order is restored.

I'd take Weeks over Scoochie Smith every day of 2018 and if you outplay your import then you're doing something right

Reply #685401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Proud.

Interesting couple of points there that I hadn't considered. Good work

Reply #685425 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

No young import will thrive when the coach knocks the confidence out of you every week. Weeks is on the bench for a reason,open your eyes.

Reply #685479 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

LoveBroker, you're damn right this is how Cairns plans its rosters. And it's gone well for us the last decade, just ask Podge

Reply #685515 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Whatnot is huge for them

Reply #685516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weeks = stud.

Reply #685542 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Breakers have confirmed the signing of Jarrad Weeks to a 2year deal.
They are apparently close to terms with Tai Wesley as well.

NZ so far are looking like:

Ili/Weeks

Abercrombie/
Wesley / Delaney
Pleger /

I would expect Jordan Ngatai to be signed as the 11th man again and Rob Loe to back up Pledger at Centre.

Reply #685639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard that Wesley's coming to the Breakers and he won't count as an import (as he's on course to naturalise).

Import / Pledger / ???
Wesley / Delany
Abercrombie / Ngatai
Import / ???
Ili / Weeks

I can see the appeal in getting a stud 2 if Ili can carry the fort at the 1. Braswell seems set on 3 imports and surely the new owners will pay for the third as well. Interesting times for the Breaker Show.

Reply #685800 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:13 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754