Wow!!

Reply #685498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney kings now equal favourites for the ship

Reply #685501 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

What a huge coup for the Kings and the NBL!! Who are some remaining free agency pieces that could compliment the big fella in Sydney??? I don't think the Bullets have put pen to paper with Kickert yet? Could fit in well given his deficiencies on D and rebounding which are two of Bogut’s huge strengths.

Reply #685502 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"Sydney kings now equal favourites for the ship"

Why? The guy has hardly played in recent years and prior to that was a role player for about 3 years. He will be able to block shots and rebound however I don't expect his offense to be that dominate and think teams will run pick and roles against him to exploit his speed.

It is great to have him in the league but he could be another Andersen that plays limited minutes and has his vulnerabilities like all other players.

Reply #685503 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Massive!!

Reply #685504 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Favourites ... until he gets injured again

Reply #685505 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Love Bogut, but I have a bad feeling about this one. Like I said in the last Bogut thread, hard to see him contributing as much as his pay would imply at this point of his career. Happy to be proven wrong, though.

Reply #685506 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

Kickert is off to Europe

Reply #685507 | Report this post

ferdterguson  
Years ago

I love that the Kings continue to overpay for players that are past it.

That said, huge that Bogut is back in the NBL.

Reply #685509 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Bogut will be coach, not Gaze

Reply #685511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love to see how this fits in the salary cap which is supposed to have a component that if the team puts in a contract under market value... the market value still gets assigned to the cap.

No way Bogut, Newley, Lisch & Randle all fits under the cap

Reply #685513 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

This is big...he will be able to compensate for Randle's D.

Health is a big question mark.

Wonder how much he is getting?

Reply #685514 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I don't want to hear what you think of Randle's D. Jesus

Reply #685518 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

Randle, Lisch, Newely, Bogut. Going to be tough to beat. What can they afford to put around them? An NBL team, even with good backing, would struggle to pay for more than those 4.
Great for the league as it sells tickets and memberships and may open up a few fringe guys for hawks and Taipans.

Reply #685519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what about the Peter Brock car though ?

Reply #685520 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

If he can stay fit his playmaking could be invaluable. Also as a screener for lisch and randle, hes huge

Reply #685521 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"Bogut will be coach, not Gaze"

Yet another coup for Sydney!

Reply #685525 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Reply #685527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Legacy just died by signing. Be lucky to average 10p and 5r in nbl. Such a shame. Better have an NBA out

Reply #685528 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

:O

Reply #685529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His legacy died? Geez, some people around here think it's a race to say the dumbest thing imaginable.

Reply #685530 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

In dot point form, please tell us why it would kill, or even tarnish, his legacy?

Reply #685531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Be quiet Anstey

Reply #685535 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"Why? The guy has hardly played in recent years and prior to that was a role player for about 3 years. He will be able to block shots and rebound however I don't expect his offense to be that dominate and think teams will run pick and roles against him to exploit his speed. "

All things people were saying before the Rio Olympics.

"Legacy just died by signing. Be lucky to average 10p and 5r in nbl. Such a shame. Better have an NBA out"

Oh so you expect him to put up Nnanna Egwu numbers? You're out of your mind.

-

Sorry but Bogut will out class every other center in the league. He is bigger, stronger, and STILL more athletic than almost all of them. You say he isn't an offensive threat. Well, he wasn't an offensive threat in the NBA. He was offensively quite fine in the Olympics. Just because NBA teams didn't seek to use his offense does not mean he doesn't have any.

Reply #685536 | Report this post

He's the GOAT  
Years ago

What a coup for the Kings.

A broken down has been who has less in the tank than David Andersen when he signed with United.

Reply #685537 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Cheer during player intros. Boo during game.
:P

Reply #685538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone posing here that thinks he will be anything less than the most dominant centre if not the most dominant player in the league is an absolute moron and has no clue about basketball.

Reply #685539 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

I don't think there is any doubt (apart from the trolls) that he’ll do well if he stays healthy. Just have to look at what fringe NBA players (like Cotton) or just retired (Childress) have done in the NBL. The NBA is so far above the NBL in talent that he’ll win his matchup most days. Guys like Brandt, Boone and Jawai (if healthy) may match him for size but he’ll win out on the mental side.

Reply #685546 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Congrats to Sydney on this signing I thought he would end up at United.
He will still be a force I'm thinking 15ppg, 8-10reb.

Reply #685549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andrew bogut twitter says he is looking for a friend as well.

iam guessing David lee or Mike dunlevy jr

Reply #685550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ah no. He was using the "asking for a friend" joke.

Reply #685551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Andrew bogut twitter says he is looking for a friend as well."

Lol that was the joke is he meant himself. He also followed it up with how the bridge climb is on his bucket list

Reply #685552 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

This is great news. For the sake of the league hopefully he stays injury free and sydney dont find a way to stuff this up!

Reply #685553 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Agree that he'll be the most dominant center by a country mile. The whole league will have to improve in light of this.

Reply #685556 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

ME "He was offensively quite fine in the Olympics. Just because NBA teams didn't seek to use his offense does not mean he doesn't have any."

^ this is truth.

Compare per minute stats for Anstey NBA vs NBL ,
Compare per minute stats for Bairstow NBA vs NBL
Compare per minute stats for Bradtke NBA vs NBL

for the bigs, they are two different leagues, compete in one, dominate the other.

Bogut will dominate IMHO

Reply #685557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At this stage of his career, nothing more than a marketing ploy.

Reply #685562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, this is stupid on so many levels.

how much have they offered him to not only play in the NBL, but move to Sydney, and play for a clown like Gaze?

With the money Sydney have already splashed around,
Salary Cap farce has risen to almost criminal levels. Surely legal challenges can't be too far away?

Unless Bogut is actually some kind of retard, surely he's done his homework and realised Gaze is the most inept coach in the league. So why has he agreed to play for Gaze?

Gotta Laugh at all the people proclaiming how this will be so good for the League. The only people who know who Bogut is, are existing Basketball fans.
If it helps Sydney be less of a disgrace, that should help grow their fanbase. Sydneysiders love a bandwagon.
But wouldn't it have been cheaper to just replace Gaze.

I don't expect him to smash records, but yes, a healthy Bogut is easily the best Centre in the league, no question.

Reply #685563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Wow, this is stupid on so many levels."

"yes, a healthy Bogut is easily the best Centre in the league, no question."

stupid on zero levels then

Reply #685564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It really is a no win scenario for Bogut.

Either its going to be an epic fail because even he can't overcome Gaze's poor coaching. In which case he becomes a laughing stock.

Or he is so dominate he drags the whole team into wins, in which case Sydney and the NBL become laughing stocks.

So you've got to think that he's been offered a literal ton of money to do this, which could sink not only Sydney but the league along with them.

Reply #685565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh please. It's not like he's going to get 40 & 20 every night. This is a great thing. For him too. And for the Boomers. It keeps him playing but in a league with a short season. He gets to give back to basketball in Australia like he always wanted. The NBL gets a boost from his buzz & publicity. Kings crowds will be up. It's a win-win-win-win situation.

Reply #685567 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Lol well said anon above, contradiction there for sure!

My first reaction is who here doesn't want to see 10k fans at every Kings home game?

Marketing ploy or not I can't wait to see Bogut when he gets to Perth and whilst I'd love him to be a Wildcat I know that the fuckwit WA government built a stadium that could only fit a few hundred more fans than most games last year but Bogut in Sydney could raise it 5-10k depending on success of the team.

Sydney will be a fun team to watch especially if Newley is aggressive as they have too many weapons to double team anyone.

Totally agree with a few posts above about Bogut playing for Australia compared to NBA, same as watching Baynes for Boomers and you watch him playing for Celtics and they don't get him the ball down low enough. Bogut I'd imagine will be an exceptional learning tool for all our opposition centres if healthy.

I love Ogilvy but I can't wait to see Hawks vs Kings and Bogut schooling Ogilvy... but if Ogilvy brings it then that will be excellent too... only way of disappointing is if Ogilvy is a ghost and Bogut is on minute management.

Reply #685568 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

No win scenario for Bogut?

He's a proven winner, easily in our top handful of men players this country has produced, he's richer than basically anyone on this site will ever be and he should be seeing this as a challenge and this is him giving back.

How many athletes from various sports go to AIS and don't give back to the Australian public ? This is his chance to do that and in game we may give him a few raspberries, he will get a massive cheer pregame for everything he has said in defending our country and what he stands for and he has represented us impeccably and if not for those injuries then his standing would be all the more greater

Reply #685571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes. Coming home does not detract from his legacy for me. It improves it.

Reply #685573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only pro I see is the Kings have the biggest stadium to fill in the league so this may help them.

Other than that meh.

Reply #685577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He could live tweet while at Liz's games.... fireworks included

Reply #685579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That would be must see.

Reply #685580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It'll be really interesting to see how he’s reffed in a league that penalises big guys. He doesn’t hold back on his opinion either and has the $$ that being fines may not be a deterrent. He’d be intimidating to ref as well.

Reply #685583 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

awesome signing for the league if he can stay healthy.
he'll surprise for his age due to IQ/court awareness and excellent passing game.

Reply #685584 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I expect that he won't put up ridiculously huge numbers; but will play a very good game and a very efficient game i.e. 15&10 type of player with high FG %, good passing, screening etc.

Reply #685585 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

Pretty decent he has decided to play in the NBL, i'm guessing he would have had offers from Europe, the interest this will provide for the league from the media will far out way how he performs, as long as they are talking about the NBL in the media it can only be a good thing for the league.

Which team will have a centre that can match him inside the key in isolation ?. He will be a tough cover, and he is a very good passer, we have seen that in the NBA. Teams may have to change who they had pegged for an import spot now.

Reply #685586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm looking forward to seeing Gaze bring the Shuffle/1st
& 3rds offense back and run it for Bogut!

Reply #685588 | Report this post

Jimny  
Years ago

Is Cadee regretting leaving the Kings now?? This signing makes up for his loss now!!

Reply #685589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boone 2.0?

Reply #685592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This will highlight how badly the NBL is officiated. Jawai struggles to get fouls called on him and seemingly can't touch anyone before a whistle goes. Will be a few games for adjustment for bogut and can see a lot of dissapointed fans early on when refs have him on the bench the majority of it.

Reply #685594 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

I assume he'll have an NBA 'out’ clause, so he may not even see out the season if a better offer comes along

Reply #685595 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

NBL rookie of the year....

Reply #685597 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

There would be an NBA out clause so why wouldnt you play in Australia and get minutes. He would probably be more appealing to NBA teams this way rather than just trying to stay fit in America.

Reply #685599 | Report this post

woody  
Years ago

He will put up slightly better than Nana Egwu numbers not much I am saying 10points 10 rebounds 3 assists 2 blocks he will serve Sydney well and as a Kings fan II feel its a huge upgrade on what we had last year with. Tyler, Singh, and Hump. Although it would have been good for hump to stay around a learn from the tutelage of Bogut this year I feel.

Reply #685600 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I think numbers similar to Boone would be about right. He's not as mobile as Boone, but has a higher bball IQ and will be too physical for most defenders.

Reply #685601 | Report this post

Tribe  
Years ago

Other than being from Melbourne, it didn't make much sense for Bogut to go to United.
Boone is a proven gun in the NBL and deserves to remain the first choice big man at United.

Reply #685602 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Bogut's impact will depend on how much he’s slowed down.

The NBL isn’t suited to genuine bigs. The up and down pace and the referees are not friendly towards players of Bogut’s type. Boone did average about 15ppg, but don’t forget that probably 5 or 6 of those 15 points were from fast breaks- Boone is a master at running the lanes, but Bogut isn't as quick and won’t get those baskets.

And I wouldn’t be surprised if Bogut struggles with foul trouble and game pace- just like Andersen has.

Having said all that, Bogut will be a fierce rim protector, a beast on the rebounds, and he’ll use his post passing skills to perfection- getting plenty of looks for all the Kings shooters. And he’ll play an unstoppable pick and roll game with Lisch or Randle.

I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see Bogut average 15 points, 10 boards, 3 assists, 1.5 blocks and be the all NBL first team Centre. But again, it’ll ultimately depend on his health and how much he’s slowed down. Bogut has joined the NBL 3 or 4 years earlier than most predicted. Is this for lifestyle reasons and because he’s got a kid on the way, or has he decided that his body can’t take the rigours of an 82 game season, he knows he's dropped off the pace and can’t really contribute in the NBA any more? Only Bogut really knows the answer to that question.

Reply #685605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Must give credit to LK for this one.
He obviously could of taken the Melb boy himself.
I suggest he's done a deal to send him to Sydney to boost crowds in Aust biggest city,and save Gaze's bacon.

Reply #685607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably more like no NBA team wants him

Reply #685608 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I share that LK theory

LK is looking to sell United- so he doesn't have as much incentive to see them win another title.

Sydney sport fans are notoriously fickle, and are more likely to have stars in their eyes at Bogut’s signing. No doubt there’s more upside for the NBL with Bogut being in Sydney than Melbourne. It’ll make more difference to ticket sales and basketball buzz in Sydney than it would’ve in Melbourne.

I wanted to see Bogut sign with United cos I love watching him play. And even though United has Boone, you always take your Aussies first and sign your imports last. You build NBL teams around Aussies, not imports. If United had the chance to sign Bogut to a multi-year deal they would’ve been stupid not to do it.

But - the NBL is better off with Bogut in Sydney. So I’m sure LK won’t mind at all.

Reply #685612 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Is there anything left in the kitty to complete the rest of the roster?

Rumour has it Kings players were being asked to take pay cuts to be able to bring Bogut on board.

They would currently be sitting at a salary of something like this;

Randle: $400K +
Lisch: $300K +
Newley: $300K +
Bogut: $400K +

That's at least $1.4M for 4 players...how much more do they spend, what sort of imports do they get from here, how do they round out the roster from here?

Thankfully the tax concession rule comes into play for teams like Cairns and Illawarra....ohhh wait...

Reply #685618 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Just putting it out there, any chance this signing (so early in the off season, before NBA teams are even allowed to start making offers) is just for publicity and he'll take his NBA out clause as soon as a decent NBA offer comes his way?

I'm not saying its a bad thing - while the nbl is currently negotiating a new tv deal it is great timing. I just still think there's at close to a 50/50 chance he doesn't end up playing NBL this season

Reply #685620 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

+1 to that

During the lock out Bogut played the NBL for his own benefit and then cited a no insurance issue as being the reason why he couldn't play. It didn't stop any other NBA guys playing around the world yet it stopped him.

From memory he did sign with Sydney and went through all the PR and media.

I would be very surprised too if he actually suits up.

Reply #685621 | Report this post

Isn't he in the country because there are some medical issues in his family? He's already said he wants to play NBA if he gets a call-up, but he's taken himself off the market during the season to be with family here. Perhaps this is just a way to make coin while being close to family before trying to get back to the NBA? I have no doubt he's got an NBA out-clause.

Reply #685624 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Who knows. We're all just speculating.

What's the best case scenario for Bogut in the NBA anyway? He goes and does some workouts in June/July, impresses, and scores a 2 year deal for $15 mil? Or perhaps a 1 year deal for $5mil with a team option on year 2?

Given his age and recent injury history, I couldn't see any team taking a risk with a long term deal, or splashing too much cash his way.

Bogut would have invested his money well. He's earned $117mil USD over his career. So money probably isn't his number one consideration, especially with a kid on the way.

Maybe he's planning on doing a few NBA workouts and seeing how things go, and in the absence of a reasonable deal, he'll go play NBL.

I mean if he got offered the veteran minimum, or if he got offered $3milUSD or something, given he's probably got so much cash stashed away in investments and might be valuing the lifestyle factor, there's every chance he might not think it's worth it.

Reply #685625 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Come on the Lakers waived Bogut so they wouldn't have to guarantee his vet min contract for the rest of the season. After that no NBA team offered him a contract.

There would be likely be an NBA out clause but I don't think the Kings need to be too worried about it being exercised.

Reply #685627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still not a mention of this on the NBL website - hilarious but not unexpected.

Reply #685628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ If you search for it in Sydney Kings news yes, but not on front page.

Reply #685629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

isn't Sydney, space then the rest of the league when they sign a retiring NBA player?

Reply #685630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

isn't it Sydney, space, then the rest of the league when they sign a retiring NBA player?

Reply #685632 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yes - though the word you're looking for is daylight.

Reply #685633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Daylight and moonlight in this case.

Reply #685635 | Report this post

maxymoo  
Years ago

Great for the comp.

Sydney rolling the die on being able to secure some complimentary players and that Bogut stays healthy enough to play 3/4 of the season and play offs.

If I was Sydney I would of tried to keep this on the down low for a bit longer, would have been great to build some hype a little closer to the season when people are thinking memberships.

I also think it gives teams like the Cats time to re-think the import strategy in regards to having another big body.

The only way Bogut's game does not translate to one of dominance is if his body does not hold up....I'd take that risk.

Reply #685641 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I see a lot of people complaining just to be contrarians. The league is good, but it isn't that good that an NBA veteran center like Bogut won't come here and basically make it his play ground. Center is probably the weakest position in the league. He's going to be like a T Rex in a kindy playing center in NBL.

Reply #685642 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Still surprising even with Heal's little hint. They kept this one secret pretty well. I think minimal chance of him leaving mid-season if they go well. If they implode & an offer came in early 2019, there may be a chance he pulls the plug. Unlikely though IMHO.

Talking about stats is probably misleading. His size, presence & IQ is such that he may statistically look ordinary but he can impact a game tremendously with key plays. His passing ability will make guarding Newley & Blanchfield a nightmare when they quick cut from the perimeter. He will be tough to contain on so many levels.

Reply #685643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A t-rex with no legs.

Reply #685645 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

I think this is a great thing for the Kings and the NBL, especially with, as mentioned above, Sydney being the ultimate bandwagon city... they need hype and names and a reason to schlep out to Homebush, but Bogut is a big enough name to do that on a large scale...

No-one REALLY knows how he will go until he gets out on the court... At least with Bogut, he has a varied skillset that he can contribute across the board, great passer and no matter what his twitter game gives the impression of, is a smart ball player... The refs is a big question mark I think, as we all know how they can't officiate bigs, but will this force the NBL to make some positive changes to how they ref which will be great for the league as a whole, or is Bogues a big enough name to get some star calls that only apply to him? The NBL can't have such a huge spotlight of him siting on the bench due to a bunch of crap calls...

I think if he can stay healthy in a shorter, less intense season, it can only be a good thing for all involved and anyone suggesting it will tarnish his legacy is talking out of their arse... It's great that he sees that as just adding to it and being able to give back to the sport in his home country...

Reply #685651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think this will result in bigs finally getting calls not totally going their way.

A fit and healthy and motivated Jawai vs. Bogut could be epic.

Reply #685655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not totally NOT going their way*

Yeah, bad wording, my bad.

Reply #685656 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

This is also great way to bring up the Aaron Bruce vs Home Away Twitter saga. So much drama for LK to promote!

Reply #685657 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Seriously though he should be averaging 15-20 points, 10+ boards, 5+ assists, and a couple blocks. If you double him he gets an assist, if you don't he likely scores. Kings will be a match up nightmare.

Reply #685658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not if that double comes from Blanchfields man.

Reply #685660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Aaron Bruce vs Home Away Twitter saga."

What was this?

NBL & BA should co-produce a new reality show called Bogues vs. Liz to promot the NBL and WNBL.

Reply #685661 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Sydney 2018/19

Randle, Wilson
Lisch,?
Newley,Blanchfield
* import?,Pineau.
Bogut, ?
Have I missed anyone?

Reply #685663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Blanchfield still under contract with Sydney?
Please tell me he is. He is the one glimmer of hope for the other 7 teams.

Reply #685666 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Yes he is

Reply #685670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In the Wildcats playoff run with Jawai we saw how dominant a big, strong bodied centre, with rim protection, setting screens, with a high IQ and great passing ability can be.

I think Bogut will have a similar impact just more consistently and slightly better.

Best case for everyone is he stays healthy, dominates the league (depending on minutes: 18p, 10r, 5a), but doesn't annihilate everyone putting up 30p, 16r, 10a a game (which i definitely don't see him doing)

Reply #685679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah picture Jawai but without all the brain farts that get him in foul trouble.

Reply #685704 | Report this post

woody  
Years ago

I would look at bringing back Perry Ellis and then a backup Centre type like Delvon Johnson who would come cheap.

Reply #685705 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

I think Perry Ellis would be a slimmer chance of returning now. Money is tighter for one & his current agent is more Euro-centric. Unless Bogut's pay is modest, they likely can only afford 1 more decent import to go with 3 budget signings.

Just my speculation, their likely lineup:

Randle / (Naar or Kenny)

Lisch / Wilson

Newley / Blanchfield

(Import PF) / Pineau / (Mitch Young)

Bogut / (Singh)

Possibly Garlepp instead of Singh as well. If they nab bigger names like Kickert, pretty sure there may be even more outcry.

Reply #685718 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Wasn't Blanchfield's contract conditional on him starting, hence all the lineup problems last season?

Reply #685720 | Report this post

thatguyontheend  
Years ago

Him, Lisch and Randle looks great on paper and I hope for the league it stays on the court - but the percentages say otherwise likely Lisch goes down again and Bogut is almost certainly getting injured at some point

Reply #685752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Press conference set for 10:30am tomorrow.

Reply #685788 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

As a fan of the league, I'm absolutely thrilled.

As a Wildcats supporter looking at a back court of Lisch/Randle and a front court with Bogut...

*screams externally*

Reply #685805 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Could they pay half his Salary as Assistant so that he can sit on the bench when injured with Gaze's other 15 assistants?

Reply #685811 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Gaze has two main assistants in KenDoll and Copes, and I think maybe Pineau? I'm all for giving Gaze shit, but next time pick something credible, yeah?

If they nab bigger names like Kickert, pretty sure there may be even more outcry.

Yeah, from me for one... I'd hate to see him suit up for Sydney... If the rumours of requested pay cuts are anything to go by (& others close to the team in one form or another have suggested it might not be true) then I doubt they go for someone with that price tag...

They haven't shut the door on Garlepp, and he's still sticking around with them and has expressed a desire to move into the other side of basketball, but if they can't get a young kid to screw up, sorry, I mean develop, like Jock, he'd be an ok fill-in player and capable in the mean time of carrying some load if/when Bogues goes down...

Randle* / Naar (need another local kid to build around)
Lisch / Wilson
Newley / Blanchfield
Workhorse Import* / Jois / Pineau
Bogut / Landale

Looks like an impressive line up, just need to get the balance right and leaving an import spot open for the inevitable is smart... A cheaper, hard working rebounding defending import PF wouldn't break the bank and would compliment the rest of the team... Thankfully Ellis might be priced out, he'd just leave more holes and probably be key to Bogues pickign up more fouls trying to make up for his shit defence...

Reply #685830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.betootaadvocate.com/sports/andrew-bogut-injured-while-signing-contract-with-sydney-kings/

Reply #685832 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

You can lose a good chunk of IQ googling those garbage sites #832. I've never understood the need for such childish satire, if you can even call it that.

Not quite sure if we'll get to see Landale in the NBL this season Wookiee. Europe is very likely where he'll land. I don't think the paycut rumour is of any major substance either. More likely some of those out of contract were offered lower amounts than their previous ones.

Reply #685866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Given the timing of the NBL season, Bogut could still go and finish up with an NBA team after the NBL season is done and be eligible for the playoffs. It probably suits him better rather than the grind of the whole 82 games.

Reply #685871 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I hope that Sydney sign someone like Mitch Young, the idea that they'd have Amritpal Singh backing him up is just asking for trouble, I'm not against Singh as I'm sure he could learn so much from Bogut but I think this squad needs a backup Centre and another C/PF along with Pineau as contingency plans for Bogut and his availability (injury/NBA)

Reply #685881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it is a Bogutfest on Fox Sports News channel atm

Reply #685905 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #685912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He just officially retired from the NBA

Reply #685921 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

After 13 seasons in the NBA, he also became sick of the travel and is determined to settle and spend more time with his young family.

This is why Bogut's Sydney contract doesn’t have NBA or European out-clauses.

For the next two seasons, he is fully committed to delivering the Kings success.
http://www.news.com.au/sport/basketball/andrew-bogut-my-nba-career-is-over-plus-how-the-sydney-kings-vision-secured-my-signature/news-story/6a303dc224c2f6c3ea0c6932f9d74da0

"This is my official retirement from the NBA," Bogut told The Daily Telegraph.

“I have no want to go back there, regardless of offers that I get.

“In fact, I don’t have an NBA out in my contract.

“I purposely did that out of respect to Sydney in doing this deal.

“I have no goal to return to the NBA and return to the States.

Reply #685938 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Wookie E
Sure I saw Phil Smyth wandering around with Gaze as well.
I don't think he was looking for a game

Reply #685976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's like the blind leading the blind.

Reply #685978 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Wookie E
Sure I saw Phil Smyth wandering around with Gaze as well.
I don't think he was looking for a game

Reply #685989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's like the bald leading the blind

Reply #685991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good read here about what Bogut delivers on and more importantly off the court.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/basketball/senior-kings-hail-andrew-boguts-historic-signing-as-the-final-piece-in-the-clubs-cultural-puzzle/news-story/3e22cf375532ec8cac0ab7f260fd132d

Reply #686804 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:11 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754