Reply #685804 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Fits the Mike Kelly mould.

I like it

Reply #685812 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Someone just replied to the tweet above that members were just notified of the signing.

Reply #685813 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

Confirmed.

Reply #685814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#scraps

Reply #685816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #685817 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Good get by Cairns when you haven't got the money to throw around go after a hard working mobile guy like Waxy.

Reply #685818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He had some cracking games with the cats, 10 rebound efforts. Seemed a bit tired later in the season, if managed well could flourish

Reply #685819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He had some cracking games with the cats, 10 rebound efforts. Seemed a bit tired later in the season, if managed well could flourish

Reply #685820 | Report this post

Jimny  
Years ago

What is Walkers salary in Cairns? 80k??

Reply #685821 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

He had a league wide season high 16 rebounds in one game last season and averaged 8.8 ppg & 5.6 rpg for Perth.

Reply #685825 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Again with the nighttime announcements

Reply #685833 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Who is going to pay Walker?

The local bakery or mobile phone repair shop?

Reply #685838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whats your salary Jimny? Please tell us.
Do you have a job?

Reply #685839 | Report this post

D2  
Years ago

Good Pickup, happy for him.

Would have liked to have seen him play on in Red, but happy the Cats are moving forward with younger guys.

Reply #685842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Went from a guy no-one wanted to an Australian player. Will he have same impact with cairns? Their offer must have dwarfed wildcats, looked like he found a home there after looking like career was done and Perth probably wanted him back but cairns must be desperate and threw some cash at him. Personally think it's a mistake for him but has to cash in after the season he had.

Reply #685850 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

You truly are a dickhead Love broker. Admonish regional clubs for not generating enough revenue and then take the piss out of them for being community driven through local business. Nobody needs reminding that the NBL was on it's knees only 24 months prior and yet now each club should be flush with cash regardless of location, if they would just put their back into it.

Cairns have done an outstanding job to remain competitive over the past decade. An achievement that can't be truly appreciated unless you've been exposed to it first-hand. There's not a coach in our league that doesn't understand that, hence the respect given to the likes of Fearny, Geordie, Bevo, Gleeson and SD whilst driving those programs.

The Nick Marvin mentality of killing off the regional teams won't only harm the NBL, it will have a trickle down affect through state run programs for juniors in those states.

Dickhead.

Reply #685854 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

I agree the regional clubs have done an outstanding job on a shoestring budget.

Reply #685858 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Walker is a really good get ....he plays hard and will be a pretty good mentor.

Reply #685863 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I think it's a good get and perhaps taking the role that Stevie Weigh played last season as a 4/3 and will be interesting to see if Walker or Loughton starts.

Good luck to Waxy and I'd still rather him than Wagstaff

Reply #685875 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Agreed... not every team has had a rich benefactor that put money into the team for years until they could survive on their own, what Cairns has done especially needs to be applauded, not have the piss taken out of...

I think is a good get for Cairns... Not a premier player, but all teams need players that will work their arse off and do the stuff that Waxy does...

I think assuming that Perth offered anything decent for him would be a stretch... notoriously frugal and no doubt having to throw some cash at the Norton/Kay double, maybe they low balled him and Cairns still got a bargain? Wouldn't be the first time that the Wildcats have asked players to take less for the greater good...

Reply #685907 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Just the sort of signing Cairns and Illawarra need to make. Recycle someone from another team who could play more minutes, shoulder more responsibility, etc.

Reply #685918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smith, you are the real MVP.

Reply #685934 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

SMITH ^ Absolutely, well written and correct.

Reply #685944 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

"Just the sort of signing Cairns and Illawarra need to make. Recycle someone from another team who could play more minutes, shoulder more responsibility, etc."

Exactly.
Those teams will never be first-choice destinations for stars chasing the money. They have to go looking for diamonds in the rough, at either end of the spectrum.

Not sure if Perth wanted to keep him. Sure they'd have loved to keep Waxy the person, but finding a place on the roster would be tough. He had an outstanding start to last season, but faded (as you'd expect at his age) and they finished with Wagstaff having to step up, again not ideal given his age.
They made a choice to go with some youth, signing Vague and Kay, and with Wagstaff contracted I don't think that left a place for Waxy.

Hope he monsters it in Cairns

Reply #685951 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Good to see Cairns being active in free agency with Jarrod Kenny a chance to go there also.

Reply #685955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard Cairns offered Walker 10% ownership in the club to finalize this deal, which boosted the value of total contract by almost $500

Reply #685965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which is still more equity than the Kings have.

Reply #685970 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

I'm sure Perth would have loved to keep him but I suspect they saw the writing on the wall in the need to rejuvenate and it has worked out well for both.

Good luck to Waxy; liked him as a boneheaded Tigers player, hated him as a Dirty6er and loved him as Wildcat ;)

Reply #686017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is Walker called "Waxy"?

Reply #686219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great signings and dickheads like Lovebroker just need just need to STFU. I certainly understand the community model well and unfortunately the only one to blame here is Kestelman.
He wants teams with a few owners and deep pockets. His quote not mine. The days of Cairns an Illawarra are doomed. A budget of $3.2mill won't get the job done in an uncapped NBL under Kestleman.

Reply #686227 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:23 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754