Matt
Years ago

AFL, too big for its boots?

Is the AFL getting too big for it's boots, alot of bad stuff been happening the last month or so. Kochie and Eddie mcguire are not happy with the AFL and Gillon Mclachlan...
There is so much hypocrisy about how they treat women and stand on women's issues eg hush money etc.. If the NRL did hush money there would be a storm etc...

Topic #43222 | Report this topic

cat  
Years ago

slaves to PC sensibilities..to the point of paranoia

Reply #686695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Slaves to PC.....what does that even mean?

Reply #686700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AFL has the profile and money. They will only grow, and the 'controversies' just keep them in the media and everyone else out.

Reply #686701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So called controversies only occur because so many people follow the league passionately. The same "incidents" in the NBL would not be newsworthy because not enough people care.

Reply #686702 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

^ 100% spot on.

Reply #686704 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Don't even know what this thread is about....what I do know is that the NBL needs to stay right away from the AFL.

Reply #686705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You'd better make yourself heard by LK then because he appears to be banking on getting into bed with them

Reply #686707 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

So far from a basketball point LK has done everything right, jumping into bed with the AFL will be a 'profit only' decision...and a fatal one.

Reply #686708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AFL is so vomit worthy. Its PCness adds perfectly to my dislike of it.

Reply #686730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes it should stop trying to be so correct. Although get rid of that element and it just becomes Pness like the NRL.

Reply #686731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AFL kicking OOB's in Tassie.

Reply #686733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Yes it should stop trying to be so correct. Although get rid of that element and it just becomes Pness like the NRL."

They are both the same. NRL women's league launching later on in the year.

Reply #686737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A token league purely for public image just like the AFLW

Reply #686752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Speaking of AFL, does anyone else find it annoying that when Australian media interview Australian NBA players they always bombard them with questions about AFL. Eg how did AFL help you to become a star basketballer. There is a 60 minutes interview of Simmons tonight and on the shorts it was the interviewer asking about his favourite AFL team, getting him to kick an footy etc.

Reply #686765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, it's brainwashing/propaganda. Keep pushing it even when interviewing stars of other sports.

Reply #686766 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

What would you expect when the AFL is paying big money to stay in the news, and most people in the media (especially at the top) were brought up in a time when it was the only game in town, kind of thing. (Well, in Melbourne at least.)

It IS just like propaganda - the more you bombard people with it, the more mainstream and accepted it becomes.

It's almost as though there's something wrong with you if you don't follow a team and talk about it.

Reply #686772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Speaking of AFL, does anyone else find it annoying that when Australian media interview Australian NBA players they always bombard them with questions about AFL. Eg how did AFL help you to become a star basketballer. There is a 60 minutes interview of Simmons tonight and on the shorts it was the interviewer asking about his favourite AFL team, getting him to kick an footy etc."

I get what you mean and do agree it sometimes feels a bit forced, but it is due though to a fair few basketballers having a background in AFL at some stage so when talking about their sporting life it's natural to bring it up.

Also some guys a pretty big footy fans Bogut (Essendon), Mills (Crows), Delly (Collingwood) and love to talk about the footy.

Reply #686774 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

No doubt they (60 Minutes, etc) make the connection to help sell the story plus the power broker constant AFL promotion aspect. Interestingly too, there's talk that Simmons was shaping like a top-5 AFL draft prospect.

Reply #686775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simons will earn more in one season than the best afl players earn in a career, you never hear that mentioned, it's all hype by the afl and their stooges. Most professional athletes follow lots of sports but you never hear them ask about any other sports.

Reply #686778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I saw another interview of Simmons a year back. Said he only played as a junior and it wasn't really for him. Didn’t seem all that interested in AFL

Reply #686781 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

What rubbish, what's next hockey & tennis threads?

Reply #686784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with anon #686784 this thread is ridikoulous .

Reply #686785 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

It's a good general debate to have though.

The way leagues in this modern era have to take drastic action to keep sponsors, fans etc happy.

Not saying league execs across sports always get it wrong (i.e. they have good reason most of the time).

But nowadays I reckon you're probably never going to have a league not do anything about a potential issue IF it has reached the public arena i.e. you're probably never now going to see a league say "X" was fine and were not going to do anything. There'll always be fines, suspensions or at the least some program/training they can put on them.

Reply #686792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ignore thunder. Its off topic so ppl can speak of whatever they fancy.

Reply #686794 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Wow, talk about breaking out the Alfoil hats.

TV sports talk about AFL a lot, because it is by far the biggest game in town. Just as I'm sure in Sydney they talk more about NRL. Maybe get over yourselves and lose the inferiority complex.

AFL & NRL are simply vastly more popular than the NBL. Plus they also have the advantage of not losing their best players to College and NBA/Europe.

As for mot liking the way the AFL is run, well I guess when their entire league becomes the personal hobby of a bored billionaire, we'll be free to throw stones.

Reply #686814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure what you are on about AD. I don't watch NBL. I’m not sure what you mean by inferiority complex in relation to this. I was interested in the interview about Ben- not sure how relevant or interesting the forced AFL questions were. The same as I wouldn’t be interested in whether Garry Ablett played junior basketball and what his favourite NBA teams are.

Reply #686818 | Report this post

Tribe  
Years ago

Hardly a problem bringing up AFL with our NBA players if they grew up playing/supporting the game. In fact, I quite enjoy hearing about their footy background.

It seems there is a strong mutual respect on both sides of the fence. Nic Nat, Eddie Betts, Fevola, Pendles etc, big Bball/NBL fans.

Reply #686836 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

cortez groves from missouri interview on radio..
'who ya gonna go for , crows or power.'
cortez - ' i don't know wot wot that means .'
later , wade helliwell .. ' ya should play footy , good money. ' ... he probably earned good money over a basketball career...

Reply #686852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha Camel, goes to show how people here think their sport is global asking overseas players questions like that.

Reply #686860 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

I wonder does Eddie Betts wife have two names around the mums at kindergarten too? Like, "Oh, there's Alice, Cindy, Anna Betts and Kath."

Reply #686888 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:51 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754