Isaac
Years ago

Illawarra sign Australian point guard Emmett Naar, 3yr deal

The Illawarra Hawks today announced the signing of Australian Point Guard Emmett Naar on a three-year deal with the Club.

Naar comes to the Hawks following an outstanding four-year collegiate career at St Mary's College in California, the same school fellow Aussie guards Patty Mills & Matthew Dellavedova attended.

During his senior year Naar recorded 284 assists (a St Mary's Single Season Record) and finished his time there as the Gaels all-time assist leader surpassing the previous mark set by Dellavedova.

In 135 collegiate games Naar averaged 9.9 points & 6 assists per game while 46% from the field and 42% from the 3 point line.

Naar's average of 7.9 assists per game was good for second in the entirety of the NCAA behind only Trae Young from Oklahoma who is expected to be a lottery pick in this year's NBA draft.
Full story

Glad to see him go to a regional team rather than just get added to the hordes at one of the power clubs.

Topic #43241 | Report this topic

Hogwash  
Years ago

Great for the Hawks and Naar especially being a three year deal.

Reply #687119 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Great signing. He'll be a great pairing with AJ once he gets settled.

Reply #687120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

First year you would think would play backup minutes, second year regular minutes, third year maybe start and then after that head off to Sydney or Melbourne. Pretty good plan, better than sitting on bench at one of big clubs. Of course that's if Hawks are still here in a couple of years.

Reply #687122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Glover also at Hawks too yeah?

Reply #687124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't wait for Perth to sign him in 2021!

Reply #687125 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Looks like a quality prospect- impressive college career. Glad the Hawks have finally signed someone.

Reply #687127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is the way they will have to play it.

There are a lot of areas where they cannot compete, however game time is something they can offer Naar that the other metro clubs cannot.

Good coach too .....nice get.

Reply #687128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Glover will have a deal... Once he recovers from injury. Mid to late season I think it was.

Reply #687131 | Report this post

Sixers Fan  
Years ago

Would have been awesome to see Landale follow him but pretty unlikely with AJ there. Great signing

Reply #687134 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Yeah.
For all the talk of him coming to Perth, and as a Fan I like to see the team get good signings, I kept thinking "as what?"
Backup to the backup? Probably would have need to sign him as a DP initially.

As has been discussed, this is where teams like Hawks and Cairns need to operate.
At one end of the spectrum signing older players who can nolonger get a decent contract elsewhere, and at the other signing unproven youngsters. And yes, the upside for Naar is not only getting a contract, but that it will be easier for him to earn minutes.

And sure, whilst I imagine Sydney will try to poach him if he is any good, he may decide he likes it in the Gong.

And whilst its sad to see the league evolve like this, with these teams just becoming farms for the richer teams, maybe this is a sustainable model? I guess what we need to see is how competitive they can be?

Reply #687148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

will be interesting to see how goes. may struggle containing the import 1's as doesn't seem super quick but clearly has great IQ

Reply #687157 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

And whilst its sad to see the league evolve like this, with these teams just becoming farms for the richer teams, maybe this is a sustainable model? I guess what we need to see is how competitive they can be?

If you take away Norton and Kay, have there been any other significant events where a Hawk has left to resign somewhere?

Please note also Norton and Kay were neither developed by the Hawks nor Bevo.

Forman stayed years.
Coenraad stayed years.
Rhys Martin stayed years.
Clarke, an MVP, came back for a 2 year stint.
AJ opting to stay.

Together with their ability to choose at least one good import consistently eg Clarke, Conger, keeps them in good stead.

Reply #687159 | Report this post

Domos23  
Years ago

Tragardh would have been one of the last to leave for bigger dollars. Never produced like he did at Hawks.

Reply #687160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Naar effectively replaces Norton and Cooks will replace Kay in terms of role if they get him.

Reply #687163 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Any news on Conger returning? Can't find anything being said anywhere.

Reply #687171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please tell me Conger is coming back?!?!?!

Reply #687189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If you take away Norton and Kay, have there been any other significant events where a Hawk has left to resign somewhere?"
So if you ignore the two most significant losses, have there been any others??

Keep in mind that prior to the last two seasons, poaching was very difficult due to the points cap and loyalty discounts. Plus there was notionally an actual salary cap, even if some teams supplemented it.

Lisch was the first and most obvious poachee.
He literally credits Bevo with introducing him to his wife, and supposedly only returned to Australia to play for him. Can only imagine how much he was offered by Sydney.

Reply #687202 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Come on Isaac, to suggest that neither Norton or Kay were developed by Bevo warrants the title of dick head.

Reply #687226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #687238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #687239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #687240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I reckon Conger might be hard to keep, if he returns to the NBL I wouldn't be surprised if a few teams throw pretty big money at him.

Reply #687247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A very good signing, will be very good under a Bevo system.

Reply #687264 | Report this post

Fryz  
Years ago

Conger was absolutely awful on defence. Bevo did a good job of junking it up to hide him at the top of the key with plenty of help behind him on each wing.
That being said, I've heard that the Hawks are looking at retaining all three imports, which is a mistake, they'd need to make a significant improvement on one of the imports to make any noise.

Reply #687267 | Report this post

jjj  
Years ago

"If you take away Norton and Kay, have there been any other significant events where a Hawk has left to resign somewhere?"

Kevin Lisch. Most notably he was most definitely wanted at the Hawks but money talks. But Hawks players have been heading up the road for a number of years. Tim Morrissey, Gordie McLeod, Sav (for a season before seeing the error of his ways)

Reply #687396 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The Spirit probably couldn't fit Sav in their budget, either.

Reply #687416 | Report this post

jjj  
Years ago

Why the Spirit? Sav went to the Kings

Reply #687556 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yes, but he returned to Wollongong when the Kings folded.

Reply #687566 | Report this post

jjj  
Years ago

Well remembered

Reply #687574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I understood it.

Reply #687575 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Add Melvin Thomas, Greg Hubbard, Justin Withers to the list of players wanted by the Hawks but lured by $$$ elsewhere.

Reply #687597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Illawarra need to worry about Australian's first before imports imo

Would be targeting Cooks to start and look to keep Rhys Martin with the young guys.

Reply #687620 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:18 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754