LC
Years ago

Melbourne sign Dan Trist

Dan Trist signed with Melbourne.

Melbourne United are pleased to announce the signing of Dan Trist to the line-up for the next two seasons.

At 206cm, the multi-talented forward returns to Australia after spending the past few years playing in Europe. A solid rebounder, Trist is highly skilled in the low block as well as being an efficient shooter from beyond the arc.

Most recently he's been playing in Spain with Ourense averaging 11.4 points and 5.3 rebounds a game.

Head Coach Dean Vickerman was pleased Trist had chosen Melbourne as his team to return home to.

"I remember him from his time in College where he had an outstanding career, he was also invited to the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament where he had a terrific game there too" Vickerman said.

“I’d looked at him for a spot with New Zealand when he first came out of the College system, but he chose to start his professional career in Spain”

“I’ve continued to follow his progress every year, and now he’s ready to come home, whereas other years he hadn’t wanted to”.

“He’s a very mobile four/five who can certainly move positions, but has been playing the four a lot more than he did in College. He shoots the three-ball well but can also sprint the floor really well for a big-man too” Vickerman shared.

“There’s certainly a toughness about the way he plays the game, and a physicality that’s obviously important for us in that role”.

“He’s going to challenge for really solid minutes within our group” Vickerman said.

A College standout at Lafayette, Trist led his side to the Patriot League title, earning All-Conference First Team selection and being named to the All-Tournament team.

In 2015 he represented Australia at the World University Games in South Korea alongside fellow United guard Peter Hooley. He averaged 8.3 points and 3.5 rebounds across the eight games with the Emerging Boomers.

After spending his first few years pro playing abroad, Trist is looking forward to returning to Australia to make his NBL debut in Melbourne.

“I’m really excited to be returning to Australia and start my NBL career. It’s definitely something that I’ve wanted to do over the past few years,” Trist said.

“Playing in Europe gave me a great opportunity to grow and expand my game but returning to Australia is something I always wanted to do. I’ve just been waiting for the right opportunity and joining a reigning Championship team is pretty much the best situation you could hope for”.

“It’s a very mental game over there, you learn to read the game a lot and react to different styles of defence and offense, and it’s really just a great place to grow your game” he shared.

After returning from Spain last week, Trist will arrive into Melbourne in the coming weeks to suit up in the SEABL and commence his off-season preparations with the Club.

When asked what he hoped to bring to the reigning Champs this season, versatility was the answer.

“I’m a tough, smart player; I can shoot from outside and play in around the basket” Trist shared.

“I can do a lot of things, and plug the gaps that need to be plugged on the team, and I’m just going to continue to work hard and do what needs to be done”.

Dan Trist joins Chris Goulding, Peter Hooley, Craig Moller, Kyle Adnam and Tohi Smith-Milner as the teams contracted players for 2018-19.

- ENDS -

Topic #43255 | Report this topic

Miaow. This signing will make United purr

Reply #687369 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Great signing IMO. Stretch 4 with a nice post game also not a bad athlete!

Reply #687370 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Signings:

Goulding (29) - 2 years

Young Aussie contingent:
Trist (25) - 2 years
Moller (23) - 2 years left
Smith-Milner (22) - 2 years
Hooley (26) - 1 year
Adnam (24)- 1 year left

I like this signing by United.

A young group of Aussies who will all be pushing for minutes, and will hopefully all improve and develop familiarity with each other simultaneously.

With Goulding and 3 stud imports doing most of the heavy lifting, I think this group can become a decent group of role players.

Reply #687373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it looks breakers and united are playing small this year

Reply #687374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here is the article above from The Age.

"https://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/australian-forward-daniel-trist-joins-melbourne-united-20180503-p4zd7p.html

Reply #687381 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Nice pick up

I assume he will take the starting spot from Wesley leaving.

?Boone/Pledger
Trist/Smith-Milner
?Prather/Moller
Goulding/Hooley
?Ware/Adnam

Looks really good for next season, assuming they get 3 quality imports which id back them to do

Reply #687382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cheap young Aussies so they can blow the budget on imports yet again

Reply #687383 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

There are some good highlight videos on Youtube that showcase Trist's offensive abilities

2 questions for any international bball experts or those who know Trist well..

1. How strong are the Danish and LEB Gold leagues?

2. Does Trist have sufficient rim protection skills that he could play Centre in the NBL? Or will he purely be a 4 man?

Reply #687393 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Defense is not Trist's strength. Definitely not a rim protector. Scoring in and around the paint is his forte.

Reply #687394 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Looks like a good replacement for Tai Wesley. Nice moves in the paint and can hit the three.

Reply #687397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's no way he’s 206cm unless he’s wearing the wife’s platforms, feisty character, will be interesting. Trained with the kings last season before heading back to div 2 Spanish league. Played for North Sydney in Waratah league last winter which is not that good a standard.

Reply #687404 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Goulding and Wesley were never known for their defense, but both played some good D this season, especially Wesley.

Reply #687409 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Yeah it will be interesting to see how he goes in SEABL. If Vickerman really does have him pegged in as starting 4 man then given scoring is supposed to be his strength, you'd hope he'd average 25 and 10.

So far Drmic is averaging 26 and 10, Moller 18 and 15, Kendle 21, 5 and 6.

Reply #687410 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

No Nothing about him, except what I have read here, but sounds like a good pickup. Granted he's only played in 3rd string leagues in Europe, but still can't be too shabby.

Reply #687419 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Played in the same Spanish league (2nd division) as Mitch McCarron.

He is a forward, not a centre standing at just under 6'8. Would have no chance of guarding Bogut in the paint.

Reply #687429 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Assuming they sign Barlow to last spot their roster looks OK.
Really comes down to quality of imports and I would expect Melbourne to go all guns blazing.

Reply #687432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who's he playing SEABL for?

Reply #687433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

6ft 8 makes him 203cm, certainly not marking Bogut. Good core of Australian players all in good age bracket. Looks like going for 1,3,& 5 man imports again. Moller playing the 4 man at Hobart taking mega rebounds and scoring well, will he play the 3 or 4 at United. Vickerman only one year left to go on contract would be in high demand.

Reply #687435 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

2 Aussies and 3 imports left for United to sign.

Pledger has been rumoured? Barlow?

Sydney and Adelaide have vastly superior Aussie talent at this point, and Perth's group is stronger too. United will likely need 3 superstar imports if they’re to repeat as Champions.

But I do like that United has CG, Trist, Moller and Smith-Milner signed for the next 2 seasons. Continuity is a recipe for success in the NBL.

Reply #687437 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:36 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754