Isaac
Years ago

Breakers sign Majok Majok

The SKYCITY Breakers have revealed their latest move into free agency, confirming the signing of big man Majok Majok, luring the fringe Boomer away from Championship winning Melbourne United.

6'9" (206cm) tall and quick on his feet, Majok will make an immediate impact with his agility, speed and work in the paint as the SKYCITY Breakers continue to recruit a roster ready to play an up-tempo and exciting style of basketball.

Head Coach Kevin Braswell is excited to recruit a player who will bring energy and an insatiable desire to get on the boards.
Full story

Topic #43259 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Underrated player who appeared to be down on confidence so much this season. Best of luck Majok. Nice guy.

Reply #687478 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

NZ so far looking like:

Ili/Weeks
- / -
Abercrombie / - / Ngatai
Wesley / Delaney
- / Majok

Reply #687480 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Good signing, and the team is shaping up quite nicely.

Does anyone know if the Breakers intend to sign 3 imports to start the season?

Reply #687484 | Report this post

Tribe  
Years ago

Sad to see him go, good player when confident

Side note: I hate seeing Aussies playing for NZ lol
Hated it with CJ Bruton as well

Of course it extremely hypocritical of me because I like Smith-Milner on United's list.

Reply #687486 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

So it may turn into a Pledger for Majok swap. It looks like Braswell is trying to put together a team more suited to a transition game.

With Anstey & Boti making quite a bit of noise on the officiating front, I wonder if going 'smaller & faster' is as good an idea as this past season. As much as Bogut has to adjust to how its called here, I'm sure even the most recalcitrant ref will likewise has to adjust.

Reply #687488 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

If the Breakers want Pledger to explore options then they likely have the starting 5-man spot penciled in with someone better likely an import.

Pledger is better than Majok, why not keep Pledger as a bench player? Pledger is a better shooter, a better defender and has a connection / long history with the NZ fan base.

Reply #687490 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Good signing. Unless there are any good backup 2 guards left they should go with three imports imo.

Reply #687491 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Pledger has struggled with foot injuries the past couple of seasons and Braswell wants to play fast tempo "run & gun" Basketball.
The other big will be a mobile athletic American I guess, similar to Ibekwe/Charles Jackson.

Reply #687497 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Side note: I hate seeing Aussies playing for NZ lol
Hated it with CJ Bruton as well
OMG
That is pure gold!

Reply #687505 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Does anyone actually think this was a case of "luring" him away?
I assumed United had let him go, and the Breakers picked him up cheap.

Reply #687506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i reckon theres going for a 7footer starter defender

Reply #687507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like Braswell. But don't piss in my pocket and tell me it is raining.

Majok Majok an excitement machine? And all the other hyperbole?

I would have kept pledger.

What is the story with Wesley.

Reply #687508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weak team, almost SEABL level without imports

Reply #687537 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Majok is an excitement machine when compared to Loe.
I used to get excited when Loe wasn't sitting on the bench with 3 fouls before halftime but that didn't happen very often.

Reply #687557 | Report this post

BVL  
Years ago

Majok's issue is that he has concrete hands around the rim. Can get boards but missed to many easy put backs for him to be effective, especially down the stretch.

Has got the body to be a great player though.

Reply #687559 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Pledger had happy feet in the paint and Loe struggled to stay on the floor due to foul trouble. Both were great players for NZ but I'm not unhappy with Majok as a backup.

Reply #687562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Loe didn't have foul trouble.

Reply #687563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good to see Melbourne give their trash to the Breakers

Reply #687567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It should be noted that Pledger is still on the contract he signed two years ago, which I'm pretty sure is for decent starter money. Getting him off the books probably allowed us to get Wesley.

Although I would've loved to have an all-NZ team, I get the signings. Its likely to be three imports unless Braswell can convince Corey to return - I'm expecting imports to fill the starting 2 and 5 spots and likely a bench wing. I think Perth is a good template here - if you can fill the 1 spot with a capable PG, using that import resource in the wings can be crucial in championship building.

Here's hoping Shea can step up to fill the starters role. At the same time, I wonder what 2-guard KB's looking for..

Reply #687860 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:11 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754