Anon
Years ago

Sydney Kings release Todd Blanchfield

Via NBL Twitter Account. Article on NBL Website.

Topic #43281 | Report this topic

SteveK2  
Years ago

Yup and its almost a certainty he's going to the Hawks where he can get the minutes he crave. Keep things interesting when the two teams clash and refresh the dislike/rivalry.

Reply #687791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wasn't he under contract? How does that work?

Reply #687801 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

He requested a release => Sydney granted request => listed as free agent => signs with Illawarra. Everyone happy.

Reply #687805 | Report this post

Told him he wouldn't get PT so gave him the choice to find another club. He has. Story soon.

Reply #687806 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

He seen how they treated Garlepp, was probably made aware he was about to be in the same position.

Reply #687812 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

If he goes to Illawarra; I hope Bevo can restore Todd to the player he was before he left Townsville. United wrecked him.

Reply #687813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney asked to renegotiate his current contract... he did not want to so they mutually agreed to part ways. He could have stayed where he was not wanted and cashed in but chose to leave to seek the playing time he feels he deserves.

Reply #687816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So he loses the remaining money on contract or not?

Reply #687819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No inside knowledge, but if they asked him to renegotiate and he declined, it's likely he left the money on the table rather than be taken out of the rotation.

Reply #687821 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I am disappointed that Blanchfield is leaving the Kings. He does a sterling job of keeping Sydney under-performing.

Reply #687826 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Jervis is in a similar situation. he has been told he will see reduced minutes and he is free to look elsewhere. his choice, he can stay put, bank the Brissy cheques, and play reduced minutes. Or je can shop around for a another deal. If he wants to take another teams offer, he would ask for a release.
Hence we'd expect Blanchfield's signing elsewhere to be announced soon.

In theory, the parties can negotiate whatever they want to terminate a contract. In practice, unless the Kings really wanted that slot for somebody else and were mounting pressure, it would likely be terminated without compensation.

Reply #687833 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Cairns & lots of court time..

Reply #687838 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Good news for the NBL.

Hopefully he goes to Illawarra or Cairns and gets back to the 2014-15 Todd Blanchfield. No idea about Kelly And Cairns, but I'd back Bevo to help him work himself out.

Reply #687840 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Yeah I hope Todd can go back to his old Crocs form and put the ball on the floor more. Ben reduced to a spot up shooter in recent years.

Reply #687846 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Kings shouldn't offer greater than season contracts if they don’t want to honour them.

Big note for next Australian talent, any deal is worth more than Sydney’s.

Reply #687847 | Report this post

Kevin  
Years ago

Blanchfield requested the release. Not the other way around. Might want to brush up on your comprehension skills.

Reply #687850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good for league balance. No point having useful player stashed on stacked teams' benches.

Reply #687853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hooray. Happy to be proven wrong but the Kings have saved a shitload of money on an underperforming player. Lets hope that recruit and spend that cash bonanza wisely.

Reply #687856 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Yeah, all the official posts have been that Todd requested a release... Even the Kings social media posts were very cold about it, no "wish him the best" or anything... Most teams state that it was a mutual decision and the Kings weren't shy last season about their decision re: Garlepp, so I can't see why they would spin in this way now...

I'd be curious to know how much he was on, but if rumours of a very good paycheck were true, they've saved themselves some solid moolah which helps them with the "5 players under the 40%" rule... He was played out of position and whether it was that, or the coaching, or the sporadic minutes or what, he just didn't look like he was committed to it this past season, and he hasn't looked like old Todd since he sold out to chase the cash to United...

Agree with Silencer, would love him to go to a regional team and get back to his old self... And not just for fantasy basketball reasons *cough*

So the Kings are now looking like:

Randle* | ???
Lisch | Wilson
Newls | ???
??? | ??? | Pineau
Bogut | ???

At least that provides some interest again for the Kings fans this off season as it was looking like a long wait for Summer League and some lower end of the scale players to fill out the remaining spots...

Reply #687869 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Having him just walk away and leave the apparently good amount of $$$ on the table seems unlikely. I wonder if there was a payout to cover the contract difference between what he was on in Sydney against what he will be on for the Gong.

Reply #687873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am curious and he was on shedloads. Poor recruiting decision based on JVG's decision.

Reply #687874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kickert's in there WookieE.

Randle* | ???
Lisch | Wilson
Newls | ???
Kickert | Pineau
Bogut | ???

Reply #687875 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Oh yeah, Kickert... blegh... mental block, nearly as solid as his twitter game...

I'm really torn what to think of what Todd's motivation was... Can't fault him for looking to get paid after his last standout season in Townsville, but then he really went downhill playing for Coach DD, and didn't improve at all playing under Andrew...

I'd like to think the best of him and with the likely minutes and it being a contract season for him, maybe he thought he'd be better off going elsewhere for the long term gain?

Either that or it was a dummy spit?

Maybe we'll get an indication based on where he signs next and if it's just for one season (to cash in on the greater minutes to go get more $$$ at a bigger team the following season?) or a multi-year deal at a regional team...

Does Perth have any room? Maybe he's going to chase a championship over there?

Reply #687897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Losing Blanchfield is a classic case of addition by subtraction. Never produced the numbers to justify what he was paid and wasn't the defender or shooter they expected him to be. That said, it's easy to forget he was played way out of position for large stretches in that ridiculous small-ball line-up and he didn't have a decent coach, so his performance last season wasn't all on him. He'll go to the Hawks under a coach who knows what he's doing and he'll probably thrive with less attention; the Kings can now go out and use his salary (rumoured to be around $180K) to go get a Prather type at the three spot. Probably a win-win for both parties.

Reply #687908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could him being represented by Bogut's former agent have anything to do with it? Bogut and former agent by last reports are suing each other ?

Reply #687911 | Report this post

Habs  
Years ago

Isnt this the same bloke who was spruiking a Delly movie? Whatsever happened to that?

Reply #687914 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

I suppose they want to head off any negative connotations on the situation. NBL website just posted his side of the story:

Kaider stressed that Blanchfield's decision to leave the Kings was not financially motivated.

"It was all about Todd looking at where he could play his best basketball and where he could really develop as a player but also take on the responsibility of being a key member of a team. That was the most critical thing here," he said.

“Truth be known, he is actually going to take a pay cut. So it was never about money at any point. It was all about the opportunity and Todd's long-term goals about taking his game to the next level."

Well that has pretty much confirmed what I suspected.

Reply #687927 | Report this post

Kevin  
Years ago

I don't understand all the innuendo & questions. Pretty clear cut. He wasn’t happy w/ his role, minutes or form and could see no improvement ahead given the stacked starting lineup, so asked 4 a release to play on a team where he’d have more of a starring role (eg Illawarra) w/ a coach who is renowned for getting the best out of players (eg Illawarra).

He’s looking long term as he’s still yet to hit his peak, so wants to establish himself in his career in terms of achievement & future earning potential 4 the next big pay packet.

Kings team is full of vets focused on the now. TB is a guy (like Cadee) looking to a slightly longer term view.

If I was a SYD fan I’d wish him da best & hope his career picks up elsewhere with the opps he will get.

Smart move by TB

Reply #687929 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I too think this is a pretty shrewd move by Blanchfield.

He could've collected his good cheques with the Kings next season with a diminished role that would've seen his stock being pretty low after the season or walk away from the deal go and play on a team like the Hawks where he will get ample playing time and opportunity to rebuild his stock in the hope of cashing in with a good deal somewhere else the following season.

Reply #687931 | Report this post

ferdterguson  
Years ago

How I assume things may have gone without any knowledge.

Kings - Hey Todd mate, how bout you take a pay cut as we are bringing Bogut in?

Todd - No thanks.

Kings - Hey Todd mate, there won't be much of a role for you with all the changes. You might want to look elsewhere for a gig.

Todd - Sure, pay me an undisclosed % of my contract and I'll go elsewhere.

Kings - How bout a bit less than that.

Todd - Cool.

Kings - Press release spinning things their way.

Todd - agent quotes with part of the story.

Reply #687934 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

It's the best thing for his career. It's now or never for Todd.

Reply #687936 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

@ferdterguson - The Kings haven't shied away from admitting that they're doing whatever they want for the good of the team (eg. Garlepp) and they admitted nothing during the press releases about coming to a mutual decision, it and the NBL articles stated clearly that it was Todd approaching the team for a release, so whatever is spinning through your head, I would suggest that it's a tad out of control...

Reply #687938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So who gets the remaining spots?

Two imports, plus ??

Reply #688178 | Report this post

Hbs  
Years ago

Fight for and earn my minutes? Nope. Ill go down south to a team not as loaded and have to play regardless.....
Seems like a bloke you want on your squad!

Reply #688179 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:18 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754