Brian "Elbows" Conklin to Illawarra

Olgun reporting his magical unicorn source claims Conklin will be a Hawk next season.

Topic #43337 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Magicical Unicorn HAHA

Massive downgrade for the Hawks from Conger.

Reply #689037 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Lachy Reid hinted at it yesterday and someone in his replies had the name soon after. Someone here posted it was Conklin a couple of hours before this Fox story too.

Interesting pick-up. Didn't think we'd see him back in the NBL, but he is only 28 years old so has years left in him. Feisty combo with Ogilvy though!

Reply #689040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't the Hawks opt not to sign him mid-season the year he was sacked from Townsville?

Reply #689041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imagine the red army crowd when Illawarra come to town. Ogilvy already cops it from his run in with Prather before getting postered and so did Conklin after he elbowed Martin.

Reply #689043 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Might struggle for rebounds unless they get a rebounding big or bring back Conger.

Reply #689045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Olgun only has one source.

Reply #689046 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Nice one, pair him with AJ and they now have one heart beating between them.

Reply #689047 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Love it...can't wait for him to play again as he is a former league MVP and doesn't mind throwing it down!

Reply #689048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Throwing what down? His elbow to an unsuspecting opponent?

Reply #689049 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Conklin isn't replacing Conger.

Reply #689051 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Elbows is a 10/10 nickname

Reply #689057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I didn't get to watch too much of him back when he last played, and can't remember a huge amount (I do remember the elbow lol, winning MVP and then being sacked).

Any comparisons to current or recent NBL players for his production and play style? What kind of numbers should we expect from him?

Reply #689062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Elbows? More like former MVP.

Reply #689064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2014-15 season Conklin averaged 18.9 points and 6.4 rebounds per game, eventually earning the Andrew Gaze Trophy after being named the league's MVP

Reply #689065 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Elbows is about right, he didn't do it just once!!Although one had significantly more impact to the receiving player.

surprising somebody with his history can get a spot back in the league, but let's hope he is more mature and moves on from his previous bad instances. If back as his former MVP self it'll be a good signing and one that Illawarra need to offset the Jekyll and Hyde Ogilvy.

Reply #689068 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

2014-15 season Conklin averaged 18.9 points and 6.4 rebounds per game, eventually earning the Andrew Gaze Trophy after being named the league's MVP

And eventually taking a big dip in those numbers and performance and attitude...

This is an interesting signing based purely on personality, but if he finds his previous form and keeps his attitude in check, it could be a good fit...

Reply #689070 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

Reuniting with his former College Captain in Cody Ellis?

Reply #689071 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

He is a much more athletic version of Tai Wesley with a confident midrange J. Plays bully ball under the rim.

Just like Wesley he will take it up the court and lead the break. Decent rebounder.

Great touch around the rim

Reply #689077 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Wait does Wesley lead the break?

Anyway Conklin does. Defensively he's good in switching down scenarios, although the league has gotten decidedly more athletic since he was here. Can play the 4 or 5. Moderate defender overall

Reply #689078 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Loves a jabstep this bloke. Good face-up game. Gets the big shoulders into you and beats you to a pulp. Then he elbows your jaw.

Man I'm psyched for his return

Reply #689080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Rotnei Clarke return? they just need a backup import centre

Reply #689086 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Someone get Manu some Kleenex.

Make that 2 boxes.

Reply #689087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have Hawks planned to sign up Brian Conklin this year? Is Conger still apart of hawks plans this year? Tood blachfield play SG? The Hawks would be top 3 in recuiting if Rotnei clarke returns?

Hawks dream team this year
pg Martin
sg blanchfield
sf Conger
pf Conklin
c AJ

Reply #689090 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Hawks are looking okay so far but really need Clarke to return for them to be a chance at playoffs.

Reply #689095 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Hawks looking better than Cairns and Brisbane at this point

Reply #689097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have some respect for a former MVP guys.

Reply #689098 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Surprising
Conklin embarrassed the league, and Townsville were forced to sack him.
Nothing legally stopping him from returning, but it won't earn them any Brownie Points either.

Reply #689099 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Any comparisons to current or recent NBL players for his production and play style? What kind of numbers should we expect from him?

Putting his dirty play aside I would call Conklin an up-market Nick Kay.

This is a very good signing for the Hawks they're going to have to look to sign young guys and others looking to redeem themselves like Conklin & Blanchfield.

Two ex-Crocs replacing two ex-Crocs :)

Reply #689100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One of the least impressive seasons ever for an mvp winner but is still a solid pickup. The anti-AJ

Reply #689107 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Bevo's system just has 2 bigs and 3 guards on court, and players are interchangeable within the spots, so all this talk about "can blanch play the 2" doesnt really matter, he just plays as one of the 3 guards.

AJ, Conklin, (Import) and Ellis will fill the 2 big spots, Blanch, Rotnei, (Import), Coneraad, Naar, Martin will fill the 3 guard spots.

If they manage to lure Conger back they look strong, if they get a budget quality like Marvelle Harris type they'll beat a lot of teams but can't contend.

Reply #689117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aussie hoopla is suggesting Jordair Jett to sign with the hawks as well.

Reply #689121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Conklin seems very under rated by most.

I remember a game he was absoutely beasting for the Crocs and no one in the game thread on here said a peep about it apart from me.

He is very disliked, I get it he elbowed a player but the hate seems more than what it should be?

Reply #689123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Manu, only that Tai Wesley has better defensive game, and post game and is also not an import this season. Wesley is much better value.

Reply #689127 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Conklin is 2 tonnes better than Wesley

Reply #689128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I get it he elbowed a player"

2 players

Reply #689131 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Read another article saying he has not signed as of yet. Plus Aussie Hoopla's recent FA Tracker mentioned the Hawks negotiating with a few imports including Conklin i.e Demetrius Conger, Rotnei Clarke, Jordair Jett and Delvon Johnson.

Reply #689134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I get it he elbowed a player
2 players
3 players
he didn't stop when he left australia

Reply #689137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"3 players
he didn't stop when he left australia"

Conklin's career highlight mix https://youtu.be/MLVSXiQeTDU

Reply #689138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks haven't signed him as per official release. Journos full of crap as usual

Reply #689146 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

If multiple journos are writing that the Hawks haven't signed Conklin not long after Olgun wrote that he is, I wonder about the respect Olgun has among his peers

Reply #689147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AJ, Conklin, (Import) and Ellis will fill the 2 big spots, Blanch, Rotnei, (Import), Coneraad, Naar, Martin will fill the 3 guard spots.

Melbourne boy that is 4 imports by my count, unless Rotnei is naturalising.

Reply #689149 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Wasn't that the talk that if Rotnei comes back it will be as an Aussie? If not they'd need to find another cheap Aussie to possibly fill the Delvon role from last year.

Reply #689161 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Hawks need some balls. Nice signing.

Reply #689170 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I love the signing if it happens, just wondering how Illawarra will spin this, I don't remember them making too much noise about Gary Ervin coming back when he did for them and we are talking about league MVPs (not former as they haven't had them taken off of them).

I think AJ and Conklin could be scary but scary good or scary train wreck I can't tell yet but I'm fascinated.

They can still get Rotnei and Conger can't they ? (Forgetting monetary issues)

Reply #689172 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

The most underwhelming MVP ever returns with his shitty attitude and pointy elbows......yay

Reply #689176 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sounds like one of Coach Cooks' boys will be joining them, going by Boti's tweet today.

Reply #689190 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Conklin hasn't signed at all.

Reply #689300 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

I wonder if 'reputation' is making them re-think.

Reply #689313 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

It was pretty clear that Townsville were pressured to dump him by the league, so maybe when this rumour first hit somebody had a quiet word with the Hawks?

Reply #689334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why were Townsville pressured by the league?

Reply #689358 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

To get the knob to leave.

Reply #689396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I very much doubt that.

Reply #689448 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Conklin was named LEAGUE MVP.
For the following season he was made captain.
When he smashed Martin's Jaw, the league played it down and said he had no case to answer.
He displayed extremely poor attitude and judgement in his public persona, and two weeks later he hit Creek in a similar fashion, giving the league no choice but to suspend him.
Two weeks later, Townsville (a team literally dependent on league handouts for their continued existence) sacked him.

Do the math.

Reply #689473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His output fell in season two. That's why he was cut.

Reply #689475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Townsville got rid of him because his performance wasn't at the level of the year before, particularly on defence. Nothing to do with the league.

Reply #689485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That is some wild conspiracy theory there AD.

Reply #689488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AD's conspiracy seems much more likely than the alternate scenario that the Crocs were cutting their highest paid player - just within the window that they were able to do so without paying out his full contract - after hemorrhaging money and being out of finals equation.

Reply #689501 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

'501, I hope that's sarcasm!

Reply #689533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is. Well said 501.

Reply #689534 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:07 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754