Anonymous
Years ago

U17 Sapphires 2018 WC squad

http://basketball.net.au/sapphires-squad-narrowed-for-final-selection-camp-ahead-of-u17-world-cup/

21 cut down to 16

Out
S.Rayner
J.Cadee
G.Vidmar
H.Hank
A.Fuller

Remaining
G
S.Heal
G.Amoore
L.Scanlon
C.Henderson
I.Palmer
J.Melbourne
R.Porter
F
S.Deegan
A.Nnopu
G.Potter
O.Pollerd
A.Fowler
P
E.Hollingsworth
I.Anstey
A.Hannan
K.Rees

Topic #43341 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can someone explain to me why there are only two SA girls, yet 4 Vic Country girls who were smacked ttwice only a few weeks ago by the SA team?
Is it time that the SA girls had their own state development manager? I think so.

Reply #689136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

4 sa girls...
2 got cut.

And the 4 vic c girls were apart of the Asian champs squad so they have been taught the style of play already.

Reply #689142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What you say is true, just doesn't make it right. How the best forward going around - who got cut, can’t get a gig is beyond me. I guess chucking the ball at the ring a lot is a key criteria to getting in. Being a good all round team first basketballer doesn’t. Look at the two score sheets from the nationals. they didn’t just beat them, they smacked them, and there is more to those score sheets than the scores. I guess the selectors didn’t make those two games - or too involved in their Snapchat on their phones.
I’m not having a go at the girls. Good luck to them and I sincerely hope they do well. It’s just about time some of the SA girls got the recognition they deserve, whithout much help form the state development manager. I’m sure if the boys program was in a similar position, the representation would be a lot different.
And as for already having been selected and knowing the style of play. Is that all you have? Belting Guam is certainly one for the resume. The style is coached through all levels of the pathway. Any kid in the program can fit into the style of play. Good try.

Reply #689150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plenty of sa girls around the national program in the last few years.
Simons apart of the sapphires and gems.
Yaeger, D.Rees and Brook around the gems.
Brett and K.Rees at COE and on the list for 2018/2019 gems.

Vidmar, Hank close but no cigar this time around.

Japan, China, NZ, Korea, Taipei are no pushovers.
They are constantly improving.
Japan, likely a top 5 team this coming WC.

Oceania qualification, easy beats for sure.
Asia, some teams are easy.
WC, very few teams are easy.

Reply #689151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Seebohm knows what he wants.
Him, his staff and the players did win the last u17 WC.

Reply #689153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Style of play is that a joke? All the kids nation wide are supposedly taught the basic principles of the "National style of play" at NITP level so that they can adapt at a national camp. Seebohm has the runs on the board at the minute but every tournament could be your last.

The SA kids don't get much representation in both girls and boys. I don't understand the SA Metro girls decisions as they were an excellent group in the girls with great team basketball a feature. The other three SA teams in Metro boys and SA Country boys and girls all stunk it up so their players never had a chance in hell.
Time for a much needed revamp of the SA program IMO

Reply #689187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, style of play is nonsense, and any performance at Oceania is also of no value.

Don't agree re most teams being good at worlds either.

It is about 50:50 between solid teams and ones that would struggle in a good rep competition.

Once you get past the US and a 3 or 4 Euro teams the competition is quite shallow.

Reply #689244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd go with...

Heal/Amoore/Scanlon
Palmer/Henderson
Nnopu/Deegan
Potter/Fowler
Hannan/Hollingsworth/Anstey

Reply #689250 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Well if you really want to question something, why wasn't one of the most talented guards at 18 girls level chosen for the SA metro team, let alone sapphires camp? She was duped.

Reply #689341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If vic metro had those that were injured available, 2/3s of the sapphires team would be Victorian.

Sawyer is a great young player and I don't know who would push her out of sa metros starting pg spot.

Still a very good squad and likely a medal chance. USA and France will be very tough.

Reply #689344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Final squad.

Heal
Amoore
Scanlon
Palmer
Melbourne
Porter
Nnopu
Potter
Fowler
Hollingsworth
Anstey
Hannan

Reply #691389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #745387 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:50 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754