Marty
Years ago

Liz Cambage in the WNBA

Liz was totally outplayed by Sylvia Fowles in the anticipated match up today.

It's going to be an interesting season seeing her progress with all these other high profile Centres competing against her. Can only be good preparation for our Opal challenges coming up.

Wouldn't it be great if we could poach Jonquel Jones from the Bahamas to line up in the green and gold? Cambage and Jones together would be scary.

Topic #43382 | Report this topic

Greggo  
Years ago

Settle down.

She had 14-12-4a-3b herself.

Wouldn't say totally outplayed

Reply #689959 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

So , her numbers in first 3 games very good....

Reply #689961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She's averaging 17 points, 10 rebounds and 3 blocks per game so far. That's pretty good.

Reply #689972 | Report this post

Liz counters Brittany Griner well - Sylvia a different style of tall. Liz is putting up good numbers considering only a few games in.

Reply #689997 | Report this post

just watched a few highlights - Fowles got a few deep seals on Liz - needs to be doubled next game.

Reply #689998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Laurel.

Reply #690004 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

I get that some of the criticism is warranted towards Liz but jeez bringing the knives out just because she didn't come out on top of one player is being petty to the extreme.

Reply #690047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has she tripped anyone yet or been tossed from any games?

Reply #690482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No but she is playing very good basketball. She is probably a top 10 player in the league so far, maybe even top 5.

Reply #690488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If she applied herself could she be MVP one day?

Reply #690516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

massive game 28 points & 16 rebounds today but her team lost again

Reply #690693 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

"No but she is playing very good basketball. She is probably a top 10 player in the league so far, maybe even top 5."

Ranks;
BS #1
RB #2
PPG #8
AS #25

Reply #690915 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

... and Bec Allen getting sustantial minutes (compared to last year) with the clear high +/- in win over Dallas the other day.

Reply #690916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Allen can move her feet better I see on defense. Must have done a lot of work.
Can't dribble the ball for quids though.

Reply #690918 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Liz Cambage, Tina Charles Named Players of the Week
http://www.wnba.com/news/tina-charles-liz-cambage-named-players-of-the-week/

Cambage, Charles Best Highlights from Past Week
http://www.wnba.com/video/cambage-charles-best-highlights-from-past-week/

Reply #691420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Liz Cambage based on skill set could be the most sought after player in the world. But it is not her skill set that lets her down. I was in the crowd when she got tossed from the Comm games, didn't look like any of the Aust players or staff were too disappointed. Maybe that is why Aust selected young inexperienced bigs for the Comm games....blood them early as a replacement for Olympics.
Attitude kills teams.

Reply #692084 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

^ Reason Liz isn't playing in the four nation tour games is she is playing in the best woman’s basketball league and rippin it mate. So get a life and accept the fact that Liz is one of the best players getting around at the moment.

Reply #692237 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

28 & 18 today for Liz

Reply #692591 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

diggins and cambage delivering around 42 ppg between them on average - exactly what dallas was hoping for

Reply #692593 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

It's kinda like watching the Boomers all over again, because Liz is drawing a lot of attention and is a willing passer out of the post, but the Wings are a really bad 3 point shooting team at 28%

Reply #692594 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Solid game by Liz - great to see her in such great form over there! Does anyone know why Cayla George hasn't yet hit the court for Dallas?

Reply #692596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

George of is a 5th option at Dallas.

Reply #692597 | Report this post

Marty  
Years ago

Great game by Liz today, after her relatively lacklustre(by her lofty standards) performance against Griner in their last match.

It'll be interesting to see how Liz goes against Sylvia Fowles in their next game up, given that Fowles had the edge last time.

I, too, am wondering when Cayla George will be playing to give Liz some vital rest down the stretch.

Reply #692605 | Report this post

ferdterguson  
Years ago

Looks like Liz is a legit MVP candidate at this point of the season.

7th Points
2nd Rebounds
2nd Blocks
8th FG%
13th Minutes

On a + 500 team.

Reply #692812 | Report this post

Marty  
Years ago

Fantastic to see Cayla George score some points in her first ever game for Dallas today. Liz did well too with reduced minutes. Hope to see both Liz and her contribute heaps going forward for the Wings.

Can only mean good things for the Opals front line, with the World Cup coming up.

Reply #693201 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Nice timing for Cayla to get her first minutes in "party time" as the Wings were smashing the Sparks. Barely arrived in the country and knocked down a couple of triples. That's a nice first impression for the fans (and if that wasn't the Wings' highest attended game then it was at least the loudest)

Liz had me equal parts tearing my hair out, and cheering, as usual.
After picking up the quick early foul, and then immediately afterwards picking up a 2nd one by trying to go coast-to-coast ... it was such a Liz thing to do.
But I reckon her being forced to the bench so early was actually the key to that win. Everyone else suddenly knew they really had to step up, and they did. Amazingly well. Then once they're all rolling, Liz slots back into the rotation, goes 9/10 from the field, and the Wings destroy the league's top team.

Was great to watch. Not holding my breath for all their streaky players to be "on" like that again though. So far it has been rare.

Reply #693224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is Diggins performing?

Reply #693239 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

get behind our Aussies and have your vote - WNBA.com

Reply #693240 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Liz has 31 & 9 and 4 assists with 1 quarter left to play. Already a new career scoring high for her.
Diggins on fire with 18 in the 3rd quarter. Fun game so far.

Reply #695050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Final tally?

Reply #695065 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

37 pts (16/20 FG, 1/2 3P), 10 reb, 4 ast, 2 stl, 2 bs

Boxscore

Reply #695069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could she be MVP?

Reply #695072 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

IMO yes - there are a number of legit candidates right now and she is one of them.

Reply #695075 | Report this post

Marty  
Years ago

Great game by Liz, especially after being poked in the eye by Fowles in the previous game, and was mildly concussed. I think the whole Wings roster scored, including Cayla George who's fitting in nicely at the Wings.

Good to see Assistant coach Erin Phillips being interviewed during the game to round off the Aussie contingent.

Reply #695107 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Ranks #2 in Pts, RBs, BS & FG%

Reply #695184 | Report this post

=  
Years ago

Liz and Skylar are a good on court combo - Dallas would be happy

Reply #695187 | Report this post

=  
Years ago

dont forget to vote for the wnba all star game

Reply #695188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Liz is doing so well. Clear #2 best Aussie WNBA performer behind LJ. Good to see it.

Reply #696213 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I was sure that a new post in this thread was going to be about her getting ejected this morning.
Cayla stepped up nicely in Liz's absence though. Dallas are really rolling now.

Reply #696218 | Report this post

Marty  
Years ago

So unfortunate that Liz's mouth couldn't stop carrying on after her first T.

It must be difficult for her knowing that calls aren't always going to be called in her favour, but she should just let her play do the talking.

Great to see Cayla George step up. One wishes Bec Allen could get decent minutes over at the NY Liberty, such a waste of talent just sitting there.

Reply #696220 | Report this post

ferdterguson  
Years ago

In 2007 Penny Taylor went 17.8 points, 6.3 rebounds and 2.9 assists in the regular season and 19.3, 7.9 and 3.8 in the playoffs and won a championship.

Liz will get to #2 on the list of Australians in the wnba if she plays a few more seasons although she isn't there yet.

Reply #696221 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Even if Liz wins WNBA MVP this season you won't find me saying her name in the same sentence as.
LJ or Penny.

Reply #696228 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Oh dear so the refs in the USA won't take her crap either lol I’m surprised it has lasted this long , wonder if she will throw another tanty and say she won’t be stepping foot on USA courts as "they just don’t understand her" either

Reply #696235 | Report this post

=  
Years ago

Vadeeva did bring her defensive arm down on her during the lay up, IMO foul was there but call was not made.

Reply #696243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Foul was probably there but her first response was dumb and going even harder at the refs after the tech was beyond selfish & stupid.

Reply #696246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"In 2007 Penny Taylor went 17.8 points, 6.3 rebounds and 2.9 assists in the regular season and 19.3, 7.9 and 3.8 in the playoffs and won a championship."

Penny Taylor was never the best player on her own team, let alone on the court. Liz is the key to her team's success, she is many times the best player on the court. Liz can dominate. Penny never dominated in that league. At best, she was always a sidekick to Taurasi and Pondexter and then Taurasi and Griner. To suggest otherwise is bias because she has a bland personality that doesn’t rub people the wrong way like Liz’s outspoken nature. And don’t give me the committment to the league line. Penny was just as flaky until she started sleeping with her teammate.

Reply #696376 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

A banged-up Penny Taylor "sidekicked" her way to a game high 30 in the championship decider on the road to give Phoenix their first WNBA championship. That's after another 30 point near triple-double earlier in the series. Which was the year after she was tournament MVP of the Opals only gold medal team. You seem to also be mixing up "fierce competitor" with "bland personality".
It's also certainly not Liz's outspoken personality that rubs everyone up the wrong way. Personally I'm a fan. But the undiciplined, me-first attitude that appears too often is not a good quality on the court. Especially when contrasted with Taylor, who was a warrior her whole career, and dived after more loose balls in a game than Liz probably does in a year.

Liz has crazy potential. She could have been better than LJ rather than in the conversation for who was #2. For the most part I'm loving her season in Dallas and have barely missed a game. But get back to me with the comparisons once she has achieved something because so far she hasn't proven herself to be better than Suzy Batkovic let alone Penny Taylor.

Reply #696415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Liz is one of the best sidekicks in the league to Diggins.

Reply #696420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said Luuuc

Reply #696427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol you're actually arguing Liz Cambage isn’t better than Penny Taylor? Taylor was never a legit league MVP candidate. Cambage is. Next.

Reply #696430 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Your Aussie bias is showing. Liz will never be an MVP in a US league - they'll almost always vote for their own.
LJ was an exception because she WAS a true MVP in terms of her stats, carrying the team, and being a positive role model for the WNBA to feel good about. She played hard at both ends, dominated taller players, played hard even when losing, but still played a team game.

LC may have the advantage of her height to help her dominate, but she will never have the range of skills or the attitude that LJ had.

Reply #696442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think she is very close in skills but the attitude part could not be more different. I remember when Loz got fired up it meant look out here comes trouble for the other team. When DJ Lizzy gets emotional it just means tech fouls and quitting on plays and sulking. She has all the grit and determination of a 2 year old.

Reply #696460 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Liz doesn't have a reliable 3-point shot yet, although I notice she has hit one or two this season

Reply #696474 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

They're coming out of the hand pretty nicely this season so I could see it becoming a regular part of her arsenal if she keeps at it.

Reply #696485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She's currently sat at 5 on the MVP watch and her team is the hottest team in the league right now. But stay pressed.

Reply #696489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seattle is the hottest team and also have the clear mvp. They beat Dallas today but Liz did have an impact with a tech and a flagrant on the back of 2 techs last game. She has gone full infant with her carrying on at the refs and they have now had enough of her bs. I wish her well in her global search for refs who can ref her.

Reply #696579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brondello, Taurasi, Griner have all complained loudly in games and in press conferences about the poor quality of refs in regards to Griner, and most everyone always agrees, so I guess it's only bad when Cambage does it amirite.

Reply #696600 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

There's a right and a wrong way to go about pointing out dissatisfaction with the reffing. Yelling in a ref's face, swearing and making gestures at them during the game is not working out well for Liz so far, since she currently leads the WNBA in tech fouls and is in real danger of hitting the limit that gets you an automatic 1 game suspension.

Reply #696636 | Report this post

Marty  
Years ago

The refereeing of Liz has been absolutely shocking, but that shouldn't be an excuse for her juvenile rantings as of late, which Luuuc has correctly pointed out is one tech foul away from a game suspension.

One wonders if she is treated differently just because her surname is not Parker or Taurasi with their constant jawing, and not getting the same disdain from the refs.

Come on Liz, you are a better player than that. Put your selfish antics aside for the sake of your teammates.

Reply #696652 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I don't know why she still fails to realise that she's not the only player in the league who doesn't get every single call she wants. How has it still not sunk in that after everywhere she has played, for all these years, maybe it's not actually a global conspiracy against her but maybe, just maybe, copping some missed calls is just a normal part of basketball for every damn person who plays the sport.

I've barely missed a Wings game all season, and she actually started off well from a behaviour POV. Clearly more demonstrative than most players, but kept a lid on it and got on with the job of being a team player and winning basketball matches. Recently it has snowballed, and the problem is that now she's making a reputation for herself with the officials. You go off at them all the time, including some times when it is NOT warranted, and it's only human nature that they're gonna start remembering you.
So right now it's time for her to decide whether she wants to pull her head in and help her team make a title run - and they are quite capable of it this season - or does she want to be selfish, continue to spit the dummy, and add the WNBA to the growing list of leagues who "don't know how to ref her".

The tech she copped yesterday was harsh, but that's what happens when you are in the refs' faces constantly. You cop the cumulative "straw that broke the camel's back" techs on top of the obvious ones.
Even in the world's best league she is a pretty big deal, so her complaints are going to be listened to. I'm guessing that in the next couple of games the refs will be under instruction to keep a closer eye on the contact she gets. But if she keeps acting like an infant then the favours will dry up very quickly.

Reply #696669 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

The refereeing of Liz has been no different to any other player in the WNBA
It has nothing to do with her surname and everything to do with her bad attitude and enormous over inflated ego
It was the same in Australia and China
All the refs can't be wrong

And she’s not "better than this" this IS her

Her talent if you can call it that is she’s tall, that’s about where it stops

It’s insulting penny taylor and Lauren Jackson to even use her name in the same sentence let all be compare her to them

The problem stems from her being pandered to her whole life and and that’s what she expects

Time for her to grow up, but it’s doubtful she will even think she’s the problem

Reply #696684 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

liz cambage who at 27 years should go past batkovic and taylor but not jackson..

Reply #696698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Jackson, no way

Reply #696699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one in the world will go past Jackson, greatest of all time.

Reply #696700 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

especially the 2010 vintage-peerless LJ.

Reply #696710 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I still don't get why some people can't separate Cambage's playing ability from her demeanour.

Her talent if you can call it that is she's tall, that’s about where it stops

That is the claim of someone who hasn't seen more than 5 minutes of her in action. Clueless.

Reply #696716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I still don't get why some people can't separate Cambage's playing ability from her demeanour. “

So what makes her a stand out player if you take away her height, does she have exceptional ball handling, foot work, court smarts, passing, is she a fast paced athlete, great defender, is she a phenomenal shooter, remember take away her height and what that allows her to do, such as gettting the rebounds and put backs simply because she's bigger than anyone else there, do you ever see her even attempt to exert herself, just what does she bring to the game except her height. Look past her height, she is not a patch on LJ with her work ethic, her court smarts, her aggressive defence, she also doesn’t even come close to what Penny Taylor brought to,a game with her leader ship, team play, selfless and retlentless in her work ethics, her athleticism.

All Liz Cambage bring is height , hype and attitude.

Reply #696750 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

So explain how there have been all those other players of Liz's height, and far better attitudes, come and go from the WNBA without coming close to her effectiveness?
Just admit you don't know her game, or the game in general.

Reply #696774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"There's a right and a wrong way to go about pointing out dissatisfaction with the reffing. Yelling in a ref's face, swearing and making gestures at them during the game is not working out well for Liz so far, since she currently leads the WNBA in tech fouls and is in real danger of hitting the limit that gets you an automatic 1 game suspension."

And yet Taurasi has done just that her entire career.
And yet Griner does it in most of the games I've seen of hers.
Griner gave the refs the middle finger with both hands but nada.
At the very least the refs could pretend to be consistent. I'm sure the front office gives them marching orders to lay off disciplining Taurasi and Griner too much, what with how much they get away with doing every time they step on the court.

Anyway, Liz just put down 53 points to set the new single game scoring record for the WNBA in a big win for her side. It's LJ and Liz, and the rest not even close.

Reply #696947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

53 points.
17-22 shooting.
10 rebounds.
5 blocks.

Reply #696948 | Report this post

!  
Years ago

sounded like camp day watching the highlights with all the noise. NY defence ? Liz did not even play the full game. Wings smartly coached - now how to get the best out of their team. Got to say well done Liz.

Reply #696949 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

The way she handled herself today in all respects was almost better than those record-breaking numbers.

The potential for another melee with Zahui B, recent tech fouls and coming off the back of that streak snapping defeat at Seattle these are the sorts of things that in the past might have been too much for her often fragile temperament to deal with. But not in this game. She made history and looked composed, like she enjoyed doing it! Scary things for her opponents to ponder. Toss a coin between her and Stewie for MVP, at this stage IMO.

Reply #696953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon 696750, your comments looking pretty silly now after that 53,10,5 game. 2 time gold medalist and former WNBA MVP, and New York Centre Tina Charles, wanted no part of her. She comes up v Griner and Fowles regularly and matches or beats them and they are the best bigs in the world and at 6 8 and 6 6 essentially the same height. Liz is a brat we all know that, but she could be one of the best in the world if she can play to her potential like today!

perhaps take a look and apart form her 3 point shooting, mid range shooting, spin moves, drives, post moves, and blocks, but apart form that, she got nothing!

http://www.wnba.com/video/liz-cambage-scores-wnba-record-53-pts-to-go-with-10-reb-5-blk/

Reply #696987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"So explain how there have been all those other players of Liz's height, and far better attitudes, come and go from the WNBA without coming close to her effectiveness?
Just admit you don't know her game, or the game in general."

Kara Wolters Drinan ( 6-7 ) ...
Katharen Ruth Mattera ( 6-7.5 ) ...
Brittney Griner ( 6-8 ) ...
Maria Stepanova ( 6- 8 ) ...
Lindsay Taylor ( 6- 8 ) ...
Elizabeth Cambage ( 6-8 ) ...
Zheng Haixia ( 6-8.5 ) ...
Malgrozata ' Margo' Dydek ( 7-2 )

Read this for the answer to your question, plenty of good bigs that didn't have the attitude or hype she gains
https://sport.one/the-top-10-tallest-female-basketball-players-in-the-wnba/

Reply #696990 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

None of them had a 53 point game either!

Reply #697025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#750's comment is either trolling or incredibly stupid.

Height is what makes a lot of basketball players remarkable. Would Anthony Davis be an MVP candidate if you put his skill-set in a 6'4" body? No. He'd be a 3rd-string shooting guard. What if Lebron were 6'1" and 180lb? He'd be Chris Paul instead of one of the two best players in the history of the game.

Liz's:
footwork - is exceptional for her size
catching & finishing ability - is exceptional for her size
speed & agility - are exceptional for her size
shooting ability - is still improving and exceptional for her size

Her attitude stinks and unfortunately I hold out no hope of sustained improvement. But she's not just big.

Reply #697031 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Liz's:
footwork - is exceptional for her size
catching & finishing ability - is exceptional for her size
speed & agility - are exceptional for her size
shooting ability - is still improving and exceptional for her size

Her attitude stinks and unfortunately I hold out no hope of sustained improvement. But she's not just big."”

Hate to omit put the obvious here but!!!!
You do realised you have just give her "size” as the reason/excuse for all her skill set

So if you take away her size would HER skill sets stand out ?
Just bit of food for thought lol

Reply #697038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe the anon's "she's just tall" comment was read by and triggered Liz's 53pt game?

Reply #697042 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Semantics anyone..............?

Reply #697045 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

"The way she handled herself today in all respects was almost better than those record-breaking numbers."

Yes, I was proud of her for that. It was all "we" in the interview and even thought she'd only hit three 3's. No wonder the team has rocketed to fourth spot with a game in hand.

Reply #697156 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

There were 5 tech fouls in that match and none of them were on Liz :O

There were a couple of times when she clearly wanted to have a crack but restrained herself. Kudos for that. I'll be interested to see how long Zen Liz lasts. I wouldn't put money on it being a long time but I'd love to be wrong.

Reply #697189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All Star this weekend. It's sad how many of you look for any opportunity to tear her down and yet remind so silent when it’s time for praise.

Reply #698401 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

https://screenshotscdn.firefoxusercontent.com/images/8f933da1-3406-4a8f-9b51-d85789ade292.png

Reply #699398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Currently

1st in points
2nd in rebounds
3rd in blocks
4th in field goal %

Reply #699401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2nd in tech fouls. if she gets one more she will be disqualified for a game.

Reply #699408 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

"I'll see how I feel after China," Cambage said. "I think I probably have five days at home [in Australia] for the rest of this year, until February next year. We'll see how I'm feeling."
"I've said this many times: [The WNBA] doesn't pay my bills ... playing here doesn't pay my bills," Cambage said. "We make more money overseas. I'm ready to have next summer off and focus on getting a European contract where its 10 seasons here worth the pay."

Wings' Liz Cambage says WNBA return in 2019 up in the air

Reply #701110 | Report this post

Marty  
Years ago

Didn't Liz sign a 2 year contract with the Wings? It's not a great look if she doesn't return, however, some of her criticisms of the W is valid amongst them the pay, travel and officiating.

Reply #701150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe stop spending so much, Liz.

Reply #701152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big mortgage.

Reply #701153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In her own words spending five days in Aus so do you even need a house? Wait she probably went big on DJ equipment.

Reply #701155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That would be suspended for a game Einstein

Reply #701161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Timing of her comments is interesting. Old coach given the boot during the week due to an altercation with the CEO, large losing streak and now she talks of not coming back. Reckon this sort of stuff should wait until the season is done.

Reply #701162 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah, agree about the timing.
Note also that the WNBA CBA is approaching renewal time, and a number of players (including Liz) have been vocal this season about the pay & conditions of WNBA players, so her comments continue that narrative too.

Reply #701166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

""It sucks because I love to be here, I love to put the game out there, I love what comes with playing here. But at the end of the day, for my longevity, I worry about my body, my mind and my soul. I really don't get paid enough to be beaten up every game. I'm not a WWE wrestler and that's how it feels sometimes out on the court."""

says the person who happily throws punches,shoves,and elbows anyone in her way....but hey dont call her on it as thats just not fair.

she wont be back because the officials had had enough of her antics....she gets away with more in China but even there shes been involved in punch ups. Its her attitude thats her biggest hindrance,and until that changes every league she plays in will be critisised by her,shes said the exact same thing about the WNBL.

Reply #701173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She has been overly spoilt by the ridiculous money thrown at her by the Chinese league. Also meant she has been able to avoid tougher competition in Europe. Easy money, easy league and easy to get away with more as she is by far the most dominant in China.

Reply #701174 | Report this post

Marty  
Years ago

Does anyone know what Liz's salary would be for her Chinese posting as opposed to the rumoured USD$100k for the Dallas Wings.

Reply #701176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$400K for a four month season. Crazy money.

Reply #701184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boo Hoo

Reply #701194 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Reply #701386 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Liz is reportedly ion US$113k for the Wings this season.

Reply #701388 | Report this post

Red84  
Years ago

Thanks Luuuc for the link

An interesting article.

One reference in the article that resonated with me - that Liz's coaches in the past really didn't understand stresses on her tall, still growing frame; that she would be accused of shirking if she complained about hip or lower back pain.

I anticipate a lot of eye-rolls to this by many in this forum.

However I suspect there is a strong element of truth to this. What does it reflect? (Many will say it is just Liz's victim mentality - take this too far and you de-legitimate ALL the feedback we get from her).

For me, it probably reflects the fact that she is such a weapon that coaches become frustrated when she either cannot play, or plays well below her best.

There is one other factor at work - most coaches played as guards in their day; there are very few coaches around who played as centres.

Coaches who were formerly guards often pretend to know the stresses and operating environment that centres work within. They pretend to have empathy.

But their understanding arises from abstraction and observation; not a lifetime of experience playing the role facing different opponents and countering different strategies. Just as point guards would question advice given about their craft offered by centres; it does cut the other way.

Reply #701389 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah, that part resonated with me too. It's an aspect I don't usually consider.

Reply #701390 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

btw Liz is in beast mode right now ... 23 & 7 and it's not half time yet

Reply #701391 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

"there are very few coaches around who played as centres."

There's a reason for that. Passing along the detailed knowledge you gained in your playing career needs more than "run basket to basket", which is all 99% of centres ever master :)

Reply #701393 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

43 points. 13 rebounds. Playoff-bound!

Reply #701396 | Report this post

+  
Years ago

against aja wilson probable rookie OTY and one of the other form players in the W

Reply #701405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"An interesting article.

One reference in the article that resonated with me - that Liz's coaches in the past really didn't understand stresses on her tall, still growing frame; that she would be accused of shirking if she complained about hip or lower back pain.

I anticipate a lot of eye-rolls to this by many in this forum.

However I suspect there is a strong element of truth to this. What does it reflect? (Many will say it is just Liz's victim mentality - take this too far and you de-legitimate ALL the feedback we get from her).

For me, it probably reflects the fact that she is such a weapon that coaches become frustrated when she either cannot play, or plays well below her best. “

But she stopped growing years ago!!!.........what's been her excuse since then(insert eye roll)

Reply #701533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best player we've ever had behind LJ and you miserable people sat here on your asses bitching about her instead of celebrating her talent. Ridiculous. I’m sure you’ve been gold star employees with superior attitudes and never an ache or illness sat in your cubicle 9-5s.

Reply #701546 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:17 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754