AD
Years ago

Would the NBL benefit from an uneven draw?

Currently we play each team 4 times, nice and even, and that works out to 28 games.
Adding say 2 teams, would increase that to 36.

In large leagues its often not possible for all teams to face each other an equal number of times. So typically the teams are ranked based on last years results, and play teams closer to their own rank more often.
It means the champion team gets the toughest draw, and the spooners get the easiest.
So say in a 10 team league, you would play 3 teams 4 times, and 6 teams 3 times for 30 games

Topic #43384 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Name one League outside of the AFL that does that and corrupts their whole League's integrity with a biased draw based on that, and maximizing high attending match ups.

Reply #689996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NRL? Super Rugby?

Reply #689999 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The NBL did it in the past as well, I believe.

Reply #690003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eh, what? Not long ago NBL had an uneven draw and HQ wouldn't balance out Strength of Schedules over many seasons (the correct thing to do) which was BS and dodgy.

Reply #690007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So let me get this right, we currently have the perfect scenario where the draw is even and we want to change it to an uneven format? Why change the ideal until it may be forced to by adding expansion teams. Even then it may be time to bring in conferences etc. One thing I hate is that teams are penalised by being good and having to. Play other good teams and vice versa with bad teams. All it takes is for some teams like Sydney to bring in free agents with their chequebooks and suddenly have an unfair advantage playing weaker teams and getting higher seeding. Be like when LeBron went to Miami and then Cleveland, should they gain that advantage.
Imo, expand by a team or two, extend the season but don't make an unequal draw. Then when the 3rd and 4th new teams come in, look at conferences or divisions. But this will also skew things because of unevenness, eg NBA western conference has been way superior for a long time.
But still can't see why you change ideal situation now???

Reply #690013 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Name one League? ROFL

Pretty every competition in the history of the world has done it at some point.
In the first place, its neither corrupt, BS, nor dodgy, usually just a fact of life.

I used to be responsible for scheduling a large junior competition.
We had some divisions so big you didn't even play every other team, but in the small ones it could be 3 or 4 times.
We tried really hard to always have even numbers in each division so there were no byes, but other than that it was luck of the draw.

and yes, obviously the NBL used to be this way also.
If we grew to 10 teams, an even draw would be 36 games. That might be doable but would be a substantial increase. Any more than that and we'll be back to an uneven draw anyway.

The issue you're referring to with the AFL is different. With playing most teams only once, its a big issue whether its a home or away game, and the leagues is skewed because they have 10 Victorian teams. So the pissant Melbourne clubs all want home games against Collingwood to boost revenue.
Not really an issue in the NBL>

We already accept a system in which teams can outspend some others by 2 or 3 times. Would making it very slightly easier for the spooners to make the finals next year, really be such a bad thing?

Reply #690015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The way the NBL used to handle the uneven draw was poor. Don't sweep away my point. and yes this thread topic is ridiculous.

Reply #690016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"So let me get this right, we currently have the perfect scenario where the draw is even and we want to change it to an uneven format?"

It just goes to show how special a poster AD is. Baffling topic choice.

Reply #690017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Next topic by AD, would teams benefit by having 4 players on court because some rosters have 12 and 5 doesn't go into 12. And doubles tennis have 4 players so why not be like them.

Reply #690018 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

This should be viewed only one way, through the eyes of a member of a club, regardless of if a team has 3 imports or 2, injuries or are waiting until the new year for a stud import... each club comes to town twice and I get to enjoy all of them. The teams when drawn against one another has shocking last year but that's a different issue.

This should be about how exciting each team is and to get a person to become a member you need to sell that they get to see the great rivals (club or player) come to town and and show your support in bringing them down.

Add new teams, fantastic... please add extra games to my ticket

Reply #690021 | Report this post

Todd  
Years ago

10 teams can be divided into two conferences

Teams play 4 games against their own conference and 2 games each against the other conference teams.

16 conference games and 10 non conference games.

Reply #690025 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

The current format is fine 7X4 though it's a bit stale and I look forward to more teams and more games.

The part of the draw that needs evening up is say for example Perth v Cairns playing each other 3 times in last 6 games they should work on spreading those out more.

Reply #690027 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

When did the NBL have uneven draws? I can't recall a season where a team played some teams more often than others in the regular season. Admittedly, the 1980s and 1990s are now a little hazy for me. Was it in the first four or five years of the league, when they had two divisions (conferences)?

Reply #690029 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

What's wrong with a 36 game season? Or if it is too long, just play each team three times instead! It’s really not that hard!

Reply #690031 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

10 teams - play each team 3 times and your 'arch rival' a fourth time. Third home/away alternates year by year.

28 games; 14 at home: 8 teams 3 times 1 team 4 time.

Melb v other melb, adelaide v Perth etc

Reply #690032 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

They should split the NBL into 4 conferences of 2 teams, play 75% of their games against the other opponent in the conference and the winner of each conference goes straight into the semi-finals (and the loser of each conference takes an early holiday) regardless of their WL record or table points.

Wait that's basically Super Rugby..

Reply #690035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"When did the NBL have uneven draws?"

Mid-2000s.

Reply #690060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36 games with games played from Thursday to Monday would work well.
A mix of free to air and fox sports.

Reply #690063 | Report this post

Neb  
Years ago

Expand to 20 teams (eventually) and do this:

North Division
Cairns Taipans
Townsville Crocodiles
Brisbane Bullets
Gold Coast Blaze

Central Division
Newcastle Falcons
Sydney Kings
Illawarra Hawks
Canberra Cannons (brings back 3 championships)

West Division
Perth Wildcats
Adelaide 36ers
Fremantle ?
West Adelaide Bearcats (brings back 1 championship)

South Division
Melbourne Tigers (change United back to Tigers)
Hobart Devils
South East Melbourne Magic (brings back 2 championships)
North Melbourne Giants (brings back 2 championships)

South Division
Auckland Breakers (change NZ Breakers to Auckland)
3 other NZ teams

44 games played per team
Play 3 Division opponents 4 times (12 games)
Play other 16 teams 2 times (32 games)

Top 8 playoff format (1v8, 2v7, 3v6, 4v5)
No guaranteed playoff berth for division winners
Quarter Finals, Semi Finals and Grand Final are all best of 5.

Hit me with your criticisms ;)

Reply #690068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Gold Coast Blaze"

Has to be Rollers. Blaze = rubbish name.

"Fremantle ?"

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL. No, people don't seem to understand Perth is a one team market for NBL max.

The rest are fine. Would love for all the old school teams to return.

More teams and expanded playoffs would be SICK.

Reply #690083 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Thanks Anon

I clearly lost track of what the NBL were doing through the mid-2000s.

Reply #690084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're welcome PeterJohn. Most did.

Reply #690085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL with 20 teams. Hahahaha

Reply #690111 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

The NBL lost track of what it was doing in mid 2000s

Reply #690123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're telling me Rick "It's All Fun" Burton had no idea? Blasphemy!

Reply #690144 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:59 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754