Anonymous
Years ago

Boomers tour of China should blood new talent

What is the point of touring China with basically a Masters team. Anderson's just been named as a replacement for Jervis. I know a lot are trying out for summer league etc but wheeling out, literally, this past it team is embarrassing. The experience should get the win but why not include more up and comers. Gibson, Anderson??? They could hardly play this season in nbl, once again Basketball Australia have failed to prepare for future and Lemons is more worried about winning than development.

Topic #43389 | Report this topic

Pug 47  
Years ago

You do know that this isn't a Boomers team, don't you? It's nothing to do with the Australian national team. It's an All-NBL touring team.

Reply #690140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You failed with the very first word you typed. Fair effort, credit where credit is due.

Reply #690146 | Report this post

Fucking lol

Reply #690150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My bad, Australian basketball team, and according to Lemanis

which features seven members of the Boomers' gold-medal winning team from the 2018 Commonwealth Games.

The tour will act as a lead-in to the Boomers’ FIBA World Cup Asian Qualifying window in June and July, and Lemanis is hoping to use the trip to China as a way to prepare much of the squad.

"The tour also enables us to expose a few new players to international competition such as Craig Moller. I’m excited to see how he performs after a breakout NBL season and I’m happy he’s getting an opportunity to taste international basketball," he said.

“History has proven that players playing in quality international games improve their individual games and this will not only help those who get selected for the June qualifying window but all players for the upcoming NBL season.”

Reply #690151 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

The point is promoting the NBL. So direct your criticism there, not at Lemanis and BA.

It's a repeat of what was done between seasons last year. NBL sends a team to China to showcase the NBL to a potential tv audience. Gets Australian coach to coach the team and lets him use it as he sees fit to choose from whichever NBL players make themselves available.

Lemanis has capitalised by involving a bunch of players likely to be playing in the Boomers' games next month. The NBL is then using the Boomers' involvement as a marketing ploy to promote the tour.

BA has no role in this team and tour at all. If the NBL wasn't doing it, the players involved would be eating chips on the couch or playing in various local leagues about the place.

Reply #690163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.hoops.com.au/forum/43333-nbl-all-australian-team-vs-china/

Reply #690164 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I see no real purpose to these NBL All Australian tours anymore. China has shown us they're not all that interested. It's an exercise in futility. They have their own league, they have the NBA. And while we might have a better overall standard than they do, there is no draw for them to watch us as opposed to the NBA. The idea of making a Chinese team in the NBA is impractical. The team would basically be the whipping boys of the competition. And their very best players are paid too much to come here.

I like 90% of what Kestleman is doing but he needs to let the China dream die. They're not interested. They're not going to be interested. And the things you'd do to get their interest are implausible. Concentrate on Australia caring about the league first. I was 100% down for the China link a few years ago, but now I see that it is a pipedream that will never ever be worth it.

Plus, let's be real, Chinese basketball is an absolute shitshow. Their refereeing at home is absolutely appalling and they are quick to brawl as soon as they lose. We don't need to buddy up with them. There are plenty of other basketball mad nations in the region who would respond much better to our product

Reply #690165 | Report this post

BB4  
Years ago

Dear Larry,

Me doesn't see any point in going to China, please cancel the tour

Yours Sincerely,
No one

Reply #690250 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Or just because it doesn't seem to be working...

Reply #690290 | Report this post

Don't tell 23yo Moller he's too old. What a crock of a topic seriously.

Reply #690291 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:27 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754