Anonymous
Years ago

Premier League Power Rankings Round 10

Apologies, ran out of time from a preview post last week! Double header this week so hopefully I'll be able to pump out a quick preview before the weekend.

1. Southern Tigers (Last week: 1)
Handled the plucky Sabres early, racing out to a 34-10 quarter time lead. Would be concerned at losing the remainder of the game by 4. Perhaps their dominance is slipping as teams are routinely getting closer.

2. West Adelaide (2)
Won a tight one against Forestville with some notable absences including star import Tobias Dowdell. Tom Kubank already proving to be a worthy addition and might be the difference between them getting over the line or not this season.

3. Norwood (3)
Put up a cricket score on the hapless Warriors, finishing on 116. Their offence is ticking and import McGriff surely player of the week for his 40 points. He is a dark horse for the league MVP.

4. North Adelaide (6)
Back where some say they rightfully belong. Handled South for the 2nd time this season in convincing fashion. Big test this Saturday playing Southern at the launch pad.

5. Forestville (5)
Stay in 5th after a narrow loss to a good side. DJs overseas stint is over so will be looking to make a huge charge now, starting with the Sabres this weekend.

6. Sturt (4)
Maybe got ahead of ourselves putting them in 4th but pushed the Tigers even despite a poor first quarter. Casella proving his worth yet again with no imports or stars, still competing with the top sides. This weekend will go a long way to determining their finals chances, facing Forestville and West.

7. Centrals (7)
Continued their good form with a solid win over Eastern. Will need some scalps from those above to move up much further but have been competitive after their long losing streak.

8. Eastern (8)
No shame in a narrow loss to the Lions and have shown significant improvement after losing to them by 27 in round 1. Will be looking to add to their win total against South Saturday.

9. South (9)
Couldn't make inroads against the Rockets, losing by a similar amount to round 1. Things still don't quite seem right at Marion. Looking increasingly like a lost season.

10. Woodville (10)
Speaking of lost seasons, things went from bad to worse for the Warriors, losing by 35 to Norwood. import Perry make his return but didn't last long. More pain coming until he is back on track I'd say.

Topic #43403 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Starling doing his best LeBron impersonation, he's absolutely carrying that North team. Will be interesting to see if he can replicate what James did and take North to the GF tho.

Reply #690437 | Report this post

Wow  
Years ago

Are you talking about the Rockets team that has 5 guys averaging double figures? Alex is a beast but he has a crew around him.

Reply #690441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to see you can admit when you're wrong. Think these are bang on right.

Reply #690443 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

No Sam Johns or Corey Ellison for Southern last game... Might've been 44-10 at quarter with them.... ;)

Reply #690446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Wow, has a crew but North would likely miss top 5 without Starling. Players all thrive off him, literally the centre of the team

Reply #690475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Starling league MVP followed by Rios and Teys

Reply #690476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is wise the softest big man in league, 3 rebounds total in whole game!!! Could play a game with eyes closed and a couple would still fall in hands.
This year would be one of the under performing bunch of imports ever.

Reply #690477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which imports have lived up to or exceeded expectations?

Reply #690478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those living up to expectations on men's side, Starling, both of Southern's and West's, Martin from centrals, McGriff, Rios, maybe Everett.

Reply #690520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will Wise III also meeting expectation. I'd have him over Martin & one of the Southern guys (I forget which is which)

Reply #690528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha, Martin had 16p 15r and 2a and great defence on Rios, Wise 17p 3r and 0a and shocking defence. 3 REBOUNDS for a centre. Big problem with Eastern's culture, lazy and doesn't work hard. Martin can guard from 2-5,probably best defender in league.
Who else would take Wise?

Reply #690646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Better defender than Starling?!

Reply #690650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Closer than anyone in a while, Starling better at Big's but Martin probably more versatile.

Reply #690652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Brine is equal or superior as an all around defender.

Reply #690654 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Starling can guard 1 - 5. By far best defender in the league.

Reply #690672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How would we know when North mostly play zone!!!

Reply #690673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ good point.

Reply #690674 | Report this post

Wow  
Years ago

Whoever keeps stating that North only play zone are so clueless. I think you have them confused with South and Woodville. I watch nearly all their games and since the Southern game in round 2 they have been playing nothing but man. They do go 2/3 on on out of bounds baseline balls. When their "stingy" defence was being discussed, it wasn't due to zones at all but a serious man to man. Maybe know what you are talking about before you post such clueless statements.

Reply #690702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can they hold Southern under 80?

Reply #690704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From what I have scouted North's front court as a defensive unit is amongst best in league. Problem is their backcourt defensive group which at times means they need to rely on zone defence or make Starling defend guards. Maybe this might change with Harding back in the group

Reply #690707 | Report this post

Wow  
Years ago

Doubt it, Tigers are tough but their man is pretty solid. Lots of weapons to shut down in Southern, not just 2 or 3 like most teams.

Reply #690708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

707 you scouted lols

Reply #690710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely it'll be closer than their last outing against southern.

Reply #690711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep - I watch most recorded games each week

Reply #690712 | Report this post

Wow  
Years ago

Hope so. North were only down 3 at the half last time but went to water in the second half being out scored by 31. I think Southern held them to about a 20 point second half.

Reply #690714 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:11 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754