Isaac
Years ago

Hawks re-sign Kevin White for one year

The Illawarra Hawks are excited to announce the re-signing of 2017/18 club Captain Kevin White for the upcoming NBL campaign.

The 6'3" guard will suit up for his 4thseason with the club, and he is looking forward to the challenges of the new season.

"It feels good to re-sign after such a long free agency period. Wollongong is my home now, and I am looking forward to another year with the Hawks” said White.
The Hawks now have 5 contracted players for the 2018/19 NBL Season with returning players in White, AJ Ogilvy and Tim Coenraad being joined by Swing man Todd Blanchfield (from Sydney Kings) and rookie guard Emmett Naar (from St Mary’s College).
That "such a long free agency period" line could suggest any number of things, few of them overly positive for the Hawks?

Topic #43417 | Report this topic

koberulz  
Years ago

I hope this isn't the big announcement they've been hyping.

Reply #690797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The "fake" signings generate more interest at Illawarra than the actual signings.

Reply #690800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well that's not underwhelming at all....

Reply #690801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How this guy keeps getting contracts is beyond me

Reply #690804 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

In the Teys mould. Hard worker, knows the systems and is great in the locker room.

Reply #690805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What happened to their other balding guard? Martin maybe? How he continues to be in the league blows my mind!

Reply #690809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coenraad, Ogilvy, White..let the mediocrity continue.

Reply #690818 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Hawks owner just makers better ballers apparently

Reply #690820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does this say something about Bevo, risk averse, too conservative?

Why keep signing the same not good enough guys? Seems to be thinking, 'It's not really working, but if we try something different it could be worse, so let's stay with what we know and hope for the best.'

He leads an underperforming program, so where will the improvement come from, is he just hoping his imports will be the difference?

Reply #690826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Grida will be announced soon i assume.

Reply #690829 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

He's been anything but conservative so far, Ogilvy was unfortunately already contracted, and he's only re-signed 2 bench players so far. Blanchfield and Naar are both new and project to be starters or at least heavy rotation players.

Guys like White and Coneraad are essential role players who sit 9-11 on the roster, it's the top 8 who play the bulk of minutes that make you a contender, the import signings will be key. Players 9-11 just need to be hard working role players who compete.

Reply #690832 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

For a 10/11 man he is no different to any other role players filling end of NBL benches.

Reply #690837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"That "such a long free agency period" line could suggest any number of things, few of them overly positive for the Hawks?"

Exactly. Reading between the lines Hawks held out looking for an alternative to him until they realised there's nothing better out there as his replacement relative to cost.

Reply #690838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cost and experience*

Reply #690839 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Luke Neville

Reply #690842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, well done on signing Naar.
Blanchfield has to show more than he has done for a while.

If they end up with White, Coenraad, Ogilvy, Ellis and Martin then they may as well put up a sign, don't bother coming to watch this lot. No wonder they are struggling to get fans through the door.

Why not try to get some new names and faces that might generate more interest for their fans?

For example, Tom Wilson is carving up seabl but at the Kings he will fight for court time behind Randle, Lisch and Bogut's little buddy. Did the Hawks go after him, they could have offered more court time and the opportunity to develop his game under a proper coach!

Don't accept that there are no alternatives to the same old not good enough bench warmers and locker room guys.

Reply #690844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coenraad was killing it in the SEABL. A clear standout at that level. Good benchie for sure. White is equally solid and as already mentioned a rood role player and team guy.

Reply #690845 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Who on here would take Tyson Demos over Kevin White?

I'm curious as to those posting on here, as Hawkheads didn't seem happy that Tyson didn't get a contract last season and now he is all but forgotten

Reply #690851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

White over Teys.

Reply #690863 | Report this post

Taipans  
Years ago

Demos sucked

Reply #690864 | Report this post

Fryz  
Years ago

Do you mean take Demos when he was playing or Demos now?
I think Demos is doing Indigenous Case work, so I'd say he might not be NBL ready.

Reply #690866 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Kevin White is another one of those players who's value doesn't show on the stat sheet.

No I am not suggesting he is a Damien Martin type player but he holds his own, can hit the occassional outside shot and has the confidence of the coach.

If he is at the right price (somewhere in the 5 for $400k rule range) I think it is decent value for what he brings experience and leadership wise.

Reply #690869 | Report this post

Lawsy  
Years ago

He is still in my top 5 shittest players to ever grace a NBL court.

Reply #690937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lawsy's is in the top 5 too. Shittiest poster.

Reply #690939 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:59 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754