Brad Newley (Sydney)
David Barlow (Melbourne)
Jesse Wagstaff (Perth)
Alex Loughton (Cairns)
Daniel Kickert (Sydney)

Reply #691885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's also on nbl tv. China reported as having eight players over 2m tall. Looking forward to watch this, Australian referee as well.

Reply #691890 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

7 players over 30 and Goulding turning 30.
I would've given more younger players a go but I guess it comes down to availability.

Reply #691898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stats anywhere???

Reply #691907 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Watch it here:
http://pages.nbl.com.au/tv/

It's just a friendly as opposed the the qualifying games against Philippines and Japan in a few weeks featuring Delly and Maker

Reply #691908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apart from Brandt & Barlow, the rest of the team have very little body
definition and at times are being pushed around. I suggest those that
have any intentions of playing at World Cup next year spend a fair bit
of time in the weight room over the next few months.

Reply #691910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Real contrasting teams here. Young athletes going inside vs crafty vets bombing away from rangw

I did cringe a bit when DA had 3 fouls in 2 minutes, followed by Loughton subbing on and getting 2 fouls in 30 seconds. Young Chine bigs with too much size and power.

Not sure why they thought it was a good idea to roll up with only 1 genuine big (Brandt) who appears to be injured, and then a team made up of 30 something 4 men Wagstaff, Barlow, Kickert and Loughton, plus DA who's 38 in a fortnight?

I get this is an "NBL" team but Lemanis is coaching so why not use it for Boomer development? At least use guys in their 20s who might potentially be used in second string Boomers teams for qualifying in the future?

Obviously there must be plenty of guys unavailable- some are trialling in US or getting ready to (Sobey? Majok Deng?)

I think Hodgson had surgery recently?

What about Majok Majok? AJ Ogilvy? DJ? Deng Deng? Dan Trist? Kay?

Nate Jawai's a bit older but should get a game ahead of the above guys.

Introducing some of these guys to the Boomers system might've been better than bringing along a bunch of 35 year old big guys. And if you're gonna bring old guys, at least bring one who'll make you a highlight reel, like Lucas Walker!

Reply #691912 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

^me

Reply #691913 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

This hasn't been a great game.

Boomers defense has been OK, but their offense is woeful. No one on this Boomers team can really take on the defense and win it with slick individual offense except maybe CG43, and he hasn't done it. So they're relying on team offense, but the big guys just aren't giving them enough out of the post. And even Threes aren't dropping at a good rate.

Reply #691916 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Sorry "NBL" team I meant to say

Offense isn't really clicking.

Another reason to bring young guys in- at least they've got years ahead to learn the Boomers offense. I just don't see the point of having a team full of old guys.

Reply #691918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cam Gliddon is so overrated

Reply #691919 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Boomers take a 8 point lead after a couple of threes from Kickert and Barlow

I get that you might want to bring a couple of vets who know the system well, like Gibson and Kickert, but I think there isn't much point in bringing guys off the bench like Wagstaff, Barlow and Loughton.

May as well go Majok Majok, Anthony Drmic and Dan Trist.

Or Ogilvy, Nick Kay and DJ- where are those guys? Unavailable or just out of favour with Lemanis?

Reply #691920 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Cadee will have a breakout season imo

Reply #691921 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Aussies class finally came to the fore in the last, Kickert and Cadee hitting nice shots, defense continually suffocating the Chinese and turning that into some turnovers.

Kickert has been the Aussies best. Barlow has played a role well and just got beaten by the shot clock with a big 3. Aussies just a bit too nimble with the 3 guard 3G lineup CG, Gibbo Gliddon

Reply #691923 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Sorry that was actually Cadee Gibbo CG

Reply #691924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Commentary is biased af

Reply #691927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is the lead comm. Awful voice argh, NBL stop appointing people who should't be on the mic.

Reply #691928 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

I don't rate Gliddon much either.
Goulding has definitely improved his defence this past 12 months. It was on show tonight.

Definitely missed Brandt being able to muscle his way the the basket.

Reply #691929 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

If Larry Kestleman and the NBL thinks they're going to be able to sell ice to eskimoes and increase interest in the NBL with these games, he has another thing coming.

The standard of basketball has been well below your regular NBL game, and our players struggle to show their wares when haphazardly mashed together several months after their last professional play. If you want to gain Chinese interest you have to show that what you have is better and more entertaining than what they have, and we have failed to do that across all 3 of the NBL All Australian series.

And then there's the team make up. Who decided to have 9 combo guards against a long and athletic China? Obviously not a member of MENSA.

I fail to see the point of these series anymore. China isn't interested and they're never going to be particularly interested. If they want the very best, they'll watch the NBA. If they want to see a game live, they'll go to a CBA game. Only an extremely small minority of fans will want to check out other leagues, and so far nothing we've shown would even appeal to them.

If you absolutely have to keep making moves with China we should send our Championship team to play against the CBA champions soon after the season, so you get to see what well-oiled NBL looks like.

Or if you're more set on All Australian teams, send out some young guys with a lot of potential like Wilson, Deng, Trist etc so you can at least play these things with the Boomers in mind, because most of this team tonight was past 30.

Reply #691930 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Hard to pick a less exciting crop of Aussies. I guess the older blokes are using it to help keep themselves in shape, while the younger guys probably don't see the point.

Reply #691933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is the point playing this team ? Pick young guys who will pontentially play for the boomers.

Reply #691934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trist , Wilson were not in the nbl, so not certain how they make an all nbl team. Deng is in the U.S trialling for nba contract.

Reply #691935 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

So what was the result?

Reply #691952 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Are these games free to stream, or part of the subscription?

Reply #692030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nbl tv is supposed to have it on. $5.00 per month.

Reply #692035 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:27 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754