Locke
Years ago

36ers Potential Lineup

So heaps of rumours about Motum, Tokoto and Trice ending up at the Sixers. If so would the 36ers be Favorites to win, especially with what would be arguably their best lineup ever?

PG: Trice/Doyle
SG: Sobey/Moore
SF: Tokoto/Drmic/McVeigh
PF: Motum/Deng
C: Johnson/Froling

surely that is the most intimidating starting 5 you'll see this season and if Joey can get them to click, Championship faves???

Topic #43471 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haven't heard the Tokoto rumour! That would be a nice pickup though. Especially to replace Childress which seems to have gone quiet.

Reply #692051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've been thinking Tokoto would be a decent fit for 36ers if they signed Motum. Tokoto be great defensively for them and he's a good rebounder. The 36ers line up would be able to stretch the floor a lot better than the Cats did last season which would help make up for his long range shooting struggles and give him space to drive.

Reply #692059 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'll take a pass on Tokoto thanks. Didn't like much of what I saw from him last season.

Reply #692061 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

That would be a nice lineup

Reply #692062 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Teys?
Doubt they would have three imports and Motum.

Reply #692064 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Trice has both summer league & training camp invites from the Bucks too so I would imagine he probably won't be signing anywhere until after October.

Reply #692066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dream on Locke

Won't happen,imports mentioned are too expensive.

Joey going to states to find two imports ,I be looking for a 3 man

Pity Sixers not retaining Childress,he was key until injured.

If a point guard scorer distributed becomes available I put Moore to 3 man .

Reply #692067 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Tokoto placed 5th in the MVP voting, not a bad effort considering Cotton would have stolen most of the votes.

He was good from mid-range, but yes if you want your SF to be a solid contributor to your perimeter shooting, then he's not it.

I liked what he brought, but understand Gleeson wants somebody more like Walker.
Still, the league seems to be able to attract some very good quality import SFs. Chill, Conger, Prather, Craig.
Perhaps these are mostly guys who just a bit small to play that role in the bigger European leagues, although of course Chill was ex-NBA.
Anyway, should be able to find somebody decent.

Reply #692068 | Report this post

Locke  
Years ago

To the very uneducated Anon who claims those imports are too expensive... the Sixers owner Kelley is a multi-millionaire who is hell bent on getting them a championship. Do you think Sobey came cheap? What about DJ? Even Childress last year cost them bigtime... This team has the money to easily pull that lineup. No they don't have the money of Sydney or Melbourne, but they have the cash to go over the softcap....easily. They'll easily spend 1.5 or more on the team this year.

Reply #692069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Expect to go with 2 imports to start and add Childress a third of the way in. Need someone to play the hard defence to replace Creek and get crowd going. Tokoto would be good start.

Reply #692070 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Tokoto does not need to be defended until the ft line, really was a liability by the end. I am sure 36ers know thi and won't sign him. He got his mvp votes early, no doubt

Reply #692071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why a third the way through the season?

Reply #692072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cheaper that way.

Reply #692074 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

Locke, lower your expectations a long long way

Reply #692077 | Report this post

Lawsy  
Years ago

Motum was the highest paid player in Lithunia, was on AUD400k per season- so what, Motum is going to come here for less and you think you will get Trice, who is fringe nba level and would command big Euro dollars and add Tokoto?? Lol... ok

Reply #692078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Motum moved from Lithuania to Turkey last season for a start.....and I think you will find he is back in Australia. Would not put it past Joey to reach out. Plus a season in the NBL in front of Lemanis could strengthen a claim for the remaining 2 non-nba spots on the Boomers World Champ roster

Reply #692080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Motum played Euroleague last season. That would do more to secure a boomers spot than playing NBL.

Reply #692085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which 10 players are NBA players #692080?

Reply #692086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't know if you all actually watched Tokoto but his defense wasn't the best at crucial times. Yes he looked good with the steals and blocks but what about all the times he gambled leaving the next guy to rotate and having an open man somewhere on the court? Also, those entry passes to the post were horrendous a lot of the time. Trying to spin a ball into someone is just absurd.

Reply #692090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trice, Tokoto, Motum and Johnson in the same line-up. Better change the name to the Matadors!

Reply #692094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tokoto's defence wasn't great. His athleticism masked his flaws because he could shoot gaps and block shots. Hit rotation and even his containment wasn't great for someone hyped as a defender from college.

Reply #692103 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Doyle,Moore,Drmic,Deng & Froling?

That bench is getting smacked!

Reply #692199 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Can't see the starters being anywhere near as good as OP suggests, but if you're running an eight-player rotation for crucial passages, then Moore, Drmic and Deng are fine.

The bench last year was basically that plus Hodgson and Teys in for Froling and McVeigh. And Hodgson didn't do much and Teys played 8 MPG. Yet they were a solid team.

Creek is the real loss though.

Reply #692206 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

36ers back to the pack for mine. Unless they can replace Creek with a Motum type (highly unlikely) and/or spend on 2 stud imports (again, highly unlikely).

Reply #692256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek could guard 1-4 and shorter rebounded, so assuming they go with two imports do they go a sf and pg or a sf pf/c? I think we are short a big and pg defender/rebounder.

I really like Felix as he is a good defender/high energy guy.

Cash is probably the issue but I'd like

Sobey/Doyle
Drmic/Moore
Felix/McVeigh
Childress/deng
Johnson/froling

Reply #692262 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Cash is probably the issue

Nah, since when has cash been an issue?

Reply #692263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would be interesting to see if Sobey ends up handling PG duties. His energy on D last year helped make up for his reversion to the mean on offense, but having the ball in his hands more might life his scoring numbers again.

Reply #692264 | Report this post

Pop  
Years ago

Is Sobey really PG material? I wouldn't be comfortable with him as the 'go to' player in that role, based on what I have seen in recent years. Lack of ball security when dribbling, particularly under close defensive pressure, and I'd question his passing ability. Seems to put the ball in the opposition's hands too frequently for me.

Of course, if he has been working conscientiously on addressing those issues over the NBL off-season things could be different this year, I suspect that might not be the case.

Reply #692267 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Anon #692262 rumour has it the 36ers are going to go with 2 imports...1 of which is Ramone Moore.

It has also been well rumoured since early in the off season that Sobey and Moore will share PG duties.

What this means is the 36ers are a solid player short on last years team.

Reply #692269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tornado I believe that was prior to creek leaving.

Questions are can sobey be the staring pg and can frolling play solid backup C??
that will determine the two imports.
I think they can hence why I suggested Felix and Childress. 2 players that can handle the ball, rebound and play defence

Reply #692274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey could be inconsistent occasionally in the past. If he gets on top of that and keeps his attitude in check he will be pushing towards being a remarkable pg.

Reply #692283 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Anon...I think they always planned on Creek leaving - that was loosely communicated in the latter part of the season and early pre-season.

Reply #692293 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Am I the only one who thinks Creek would go to another NBL team if he ever came back to NBL?

Reply #692296 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I'd say it's a likely scenario - perhaps Perth

Reply #692311 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:19 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754