Andrew
Years ago

Adnam Chasing Dreams at Dallas Mini Camp

New Sydney Kings guard Kyle Adnam is the latest NBL player to be invited to the Dallas Mavericks upcoming free agent mini camp.

The Herald Sun broke the news of the cult hero joining Mitch Creek, Shea Ili and Isaac Humphries chasing the NBA dream.

Adnam caught the eye of Dallas Director of Player Personnel, Tony Ronzone, when he visited Australia earlier this year.

"I just like his confidence, the fact he looks like a surfer boy on the beach, a skinny guy, but he plays with no fear, he competes," Ronzone told the Herald Sun.

“He's the perfect Australian basketball player, I just like his will and desire to become good.”

In his first year as a contracted player with Melbourne, Adnam claimed his first NBL championship, dropping a career high 23 points against Adelaide in United's second game of the season.

Adnam is currently suiting up for the Nelson Giants in the NZNBL averaging 19.2 points and 7.1 assists per game.

The young guard will make his way to Dallas next week in what will be a dream come true.

“I’ve just got to go there and put my best foot forward and really take in the learning environment,” Adnam said.

“It’s a great opportunity for me to be surrounded by some amazing coaches and players and just improve. Any time you get put in situations with players of that calibre and coaches of that calibre is just amazing.”

http://nbl.com.au/news/article/42427-adnam-chasing-dreams-at-dallas-mini-camp

Topic #43474 | Report this topic

Hogwash  
Years ago

Cadee must be next...

Reply #692117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Strange move IMO, as he was playing behind Peter Hooley, and struggled to make an impact at NBL level.

Reply #692118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess they need a lot of bodies at these camps? Good luck to the boy though, good experience.

Reply #692120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Summer league tryout mean very little now

Reply #692121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good luck to him, his girlfriend is the wife of joe Inglis so you never know what can happen.

Reply #692122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How the hell?

Reply #692123 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

This tells you everything you need to know about scouts and getting opportunities in the NBA. At no point prior was Joe Ingles considered NBA material all it took was for someone at the Clippers to see him in Europe fell in love with something he did they gave him the opportunity and he's gone on with it to great success at the Jazz.

Is Adnam NBA material? No of course not but he got seen by the right person at the right time and is now going to be given the opportunity.

Reply #692124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dallas have half the NBL going to their camps

Reply #692125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Good luck to him, his girlfriend is the wife of joe Inglis so you never know what can happen"

Well isn't that a kinky 3-way

Reply #692126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mini camps don't mean much I guess

Reply #692128 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

One thing Adnam is is fearless and he showed that in his minutes against OKC. No, he is not within 100 lightyears of making the NBA but he isn't the worst cannon fodder you could throw in to train guys with either. It's a great opportunity and will help him elevate his game moving forward.

Reply #692129 | Report this post

Anonomous  
Years ago

"Good luck to him, his girlfriend is the wife of joe Inglis so you never know what can happen"

Well, has anyone told Joe?

Reply #692132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dude Ingles was pretty good played for Maccabi and Barcelona. Didn't just appear out of thin air.

Reply #692134 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Why disparage (or hate on) Adnam for taking this opportunity?

He's quoted as saying:

"I’ve just got to go there and put my best foot forward and really take in the learning environment," Adnam said.

“It’s a great opportunity for me to be surrounded by some amazing coaches and players and just improve. Any time you get put in situations with players of that calibre and coaches of that calibre is just amazing.”

Sounds like he’s after learning, improvement and a powerful environment to develop himself. Nothing quoted shows any pretensions of making the NBA or even scoring a 2 way contract.

Can’t blame a young bloke for taking a chance to develop into the best he can be. Sounds like he’s being a real professional.

Reply #692136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Joe aware of this?

Reply #692138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think anyone hating on him for taking it, he'd be stupid not to. I think people are just very surprised he actually got an invite in the first place.

Reply #692139 | Report this post

Splinky  
Years ago

Has anybody built a bigger career for himself simply by not looking like a baller, but instead a 'surfer dude'?

What a crock.

Reply #692141 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Yeah, no-one hating on Adnam, just someone so far down the ladder getting a look in is sort of surprising... Plus will all the love already showered upon him by Bogues and his brother-husband(?) Jingles, it sort of has a "who you know" sort of vibe...

But huge credit to him going over there and I think we can all agree that he'll give it the old college try of 110% and Kings fans will only benefit from his experience over there too...

Reply #692142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He's the perfect Australian basketball player, I just like his will and desire to become good."

Thought that line was telling. No one is mistaking him for a good player. Perhaps there is some benefit to including some players with his attitude at these camps.

Reply #692143 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Yeah it seems like they're just giving a shot to a kid who tries hard. More an appreciation of moxxy than it is believing he can do anything. It's almost like what the sixers do for Brendan Teys

Reply #692145 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

'This tells you everything you need to know about scouts and getting opportunities in the NBA. At no point prior was Joe Ingles considered NBA material all it took was for someone at the Clippers to see him in Europe fell in love with something he did they gave him the opportunity and he's gone on with it to great success at the Jazz.'

Zodiac, please don't post incorrect garbage information if you have no idea.

Reply #692149 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

I think that with these camps, by definition they are hoping to find role-players from unexpected sources. So firstly they have to invite a lot of people to boost the odds, and secondly they need to look outside the box. And at the end of the day, having guys who will push and motivate each other can only be a good thing.

Good Luck to him, it will be a good experience.

Reply #692152 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

NBA summer league and mini camps are generally full of some pretty avg basketball players...only one or two will ever get a serious look to even make a roster let only anything beyond that.

Reply #692159 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

i find all the hating really funny. firstly, you don't get an invite if you can't hold your own. Adnam is small but he is quicker than most and hustles. We shall see how he goes.

Reply #692160 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Not many people are actually "hating", I think most posters here wish him luck whilst stating the facts about his basketball potential at that level. He's not close to NBA player, he's a backup level PG at NBL who works very hard with a good attitude, nothing wrong with that.

Reply #692161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hustles. streaky shooter. ZERO D.tiny. mini camp is perfect wording for him.

Reply #692169 | Report this post

Flip  
Years ago

Hey guys, I've informed Joe, but apparently he was already aware.

Reply #692173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do people still not get after all these years we on Hoops love to take digs at any player? We all wish Adnam the best but we can't operate without having a dig, it's what we do.

Reply #692180 | Report this post

BVL  
Years ago

Shows that if you continue to be professional, even when not getting minutes, you never know when you might get a call up. Well done Kyle.

Reply #692203 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Yeah, no hating, agree with most "good on him" and it will be a good experience for him, which is the attitude he's adopting.

Reply #692215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tony ronzone. The guy that spotted Adnam. Used to be an import in new Zealand. Wanganui I believe.

Reply #692233 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:21 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754