Anonymous
Years ago

Should Celtics trade Kyrie?

With Scary Terry's performance in the playoffs, could Kyrie be expendable? While he is a great player, rumours of LeBrons interest in Celtics could make for an uncomfortable locker room, and there's talk he may not resign anyway, Knicks could be a possibility. Stevens has a track record of getting great point guard play out of seemingly just above average guards (a bit harsh, but IT pre and post Boston was good but not great although injury would have played a part. And Rozier was middle 1st round pick that hasn't really shone until thrust into starting role).
Celtics are enamoured with Bamba, I'm sure Dallas would deal 5th pick in a heartbeat as well as Sacramento with 2nd. Even Phoenix would probably consider top pick, with maybe a sweetener thrown in and Boston could grab Ayton.
With an elite rim protector, albeit a rookie, who could stop them in east apart from Philadelphia if they can bring in a top free agent like George or LeBron. And would definitely challenge warriors and rockets.
And who knows if he can come back 100% from his injury or if it will have lingering effects. Ainge hasn't been shy to pull trigger on big deals, is it worth it?

Topic #43479 | Report this topic

Chewie  
Years ago

#fatfingers above.

Problem with the above isn't if Boston would do it. None of the other teams you've mentioned are likely to trade a top 6 pick in this draft with Kyrie already saying he's playing the season out and then looking at his options.
Why would any of the teams with a top 6ish pick trade for a 1 and done Kyrie?
I don't think we will see many of the top guys sign anything longer than 1-2 year deals currently with the potential cash influx into the NBA and the salary cap that sports betting is about to generate.

Wild cards in this - Danny Ainge has flat out robbed people in the last 10 years. He should be serving time at this stage. Divac - who knows what he is likely to do, Boogie certainly didn't.

Reply #692349 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Yep! He won;t re-sign in Boston partculary if they meet with Lebron.

Kyrie is a New Yorker and wants to play for New York with the Unicorn.

Reply #692352 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I think from the Celtics perspective its a win-win. They don't NEED to deal him, but would be open to anyone making offers.

I think he'll still be there at the start of next season as Boston still needs that alpha scorer for the moment, but Brown and/or Tatum could develop into that very soon.

Reply #692355 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

I think and expect the Celtics to hold onto Kyrie.

If Kyrie fits seamlessly back into the Celtics line up then I'd expect them to ride the roster for the year, win the East and then give the Finals their best crack.

I think if there are major headaches integrating Kyrie (and Hayward for that matter) back into the line up then there's a chance they ship him to a Western Conference opponent before the deadline. This would be pretty difficult though and he'd certainly be moving for well undervalue.

With Kyrie's pending free agency it seems it would be very risky for the Celts to move Rozier now too. Having said that, Ainge and the Celts might look to move him if they feel his value is at its peak.

I reckon the Celtics will sit tight and hope the integration of Irving and Hayward back into the line up will build on what they achieved last year and help them take the next step.

Reply #692367 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Wouldn't read too much into Kyrie not re-signing. As above, doesn't make sense financially.

I read today that if he waits until summer 2019 he stands to make $80m more on the extension.

Aside the financial reasons, it also gives him flexibility to re-assess after this coming season - you get the sense Free agency and being able to control where he goes are important to him.

Reply #692386 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

Celtics want bamba so might need to trade up to get him. Might mean they trade Rozier or brown. Cannot see them trading Irving yet.

Reply #692440 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:43 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754