Curtley
Years ago

Could Yuta Watanabe play in the NBL?

With the Asian Import rules in place is there a spot somewhere in the NBL for this guy?

https://sports.yahoo.com/m/fdffbef2-6163-39cd-9bf3-29752a1169f0/japan-watching-as-watanabe.html

He'd be a role player but the NBL really needs to look at guys like this to drive international interest in the league, not to mention money from sponsors.

Topic #43480 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

He could but don't know why he would want to. Can make way more money, play more, in Japan

Reply #692365 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Are Japanese players eligible as locals?
I'm not sure which countries are included

Reply #692370 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Cairns should be across this. 8'000 Japanese permanent residents in a city of 160k, direct Jetstar links with Osaka and Tokyo, Japan is one of the biggest source of tourists for the city.

Reply #692373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Cairns should be across this. 8'000 Japanese permanent residents in a city of 160k, direct Jetstar links with Osaka and Tokyo, Japan is one of the biggest source of tourists for the city."

Some interesting numbers there. I wonder if the local government/tourism would consider sponsoring him with some sort ambassador role and get him to promote the area and some tourism packages to come watch him.

Reply #692387 | Report this post

Roofman  
Years ago

I read this article some weeks back and was thinking about how the NBL would be right for him. The article is conspicious as much for what it doesn't say as much as it does. In short, it mentions that if he doesn't directly make the NBA, he would consider Europe or the G-League (read not playing in Japan, so money is not his primary motivation).

I believe that the NBL would offer an NBA pathway that the Japanese B-League doesn't, and all the usual conveniences and reasons why (usually American) imports choose the NBL over Europe. Additionally, in Europe, he would be treated as if he were another American import, over here he would add considerable value as a 4th import, while he would not have the same pressure to produce.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2018/04/13/basketball/yuta-watanabe-reflects-successful-hoop-career-george-washington/#.WyIcYUiFPIU

Reply #692426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they can find money for Jawai and bring kids from the Cape to games on FOC tickets you'd think someone somewhere would realise this would have a little more benefit for the city and might be worth a small investment.

Reply #692450 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:56 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754