Anonymous
Years ago

Rucker convicted of fraud

The ongoing saga of Rucker's time in Gladstone finally ended last month. Surprised this wasn’t posted earlier.

https://www.gladstoneobserver.com.au/news/update-basketball-star-convicted-of-fraud/3404135/

Topic #43488 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice update.

Still don't get how Heal got away from all of his shadiness. Guy has nine lives of a cat.

Reply #692547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow he has past history not paying for $10 of fuel and driving off? LMAO, times be tough for ex-NBL stars.

Reply #692549 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Ok, he's been convicted by the courts, but it sounds like a crock.
Waste of taxpayers money when such pissant disputes are made the subject of a criminal investigation.
Believe me, its an all too common story with sporting clubs and community organisations.
Faction A hires somebody to do a job, Faction B doesn't like it and tries to get him sacked, it all ends in tears and somebody screams "fraud."
It's not as though he outright stole money, or paid for hookers, he paid for travel expenses which he undoubtedly believed he was entitled to.

I honestly don't think Police should even get involved in shit like this. If they contend he owed them money let them do what anyone else does and sue him.

Reply #692555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok then Derek.

Reply #692556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You mean Dazz

Reply #692558 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

End of the day, what has been achieved?
Trial has clogged up the courts, probably cost $00k's of money all told,
and in the end he has been ordered to repay the debt.
Ie exactly what they could have achieved with a debt-collector.

And keep in mind that in many such cases there is no order for compensation.

How about we devote police and court resources to catching and punishing actual criminals?

Reply #692560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Calm down "AD"

Reply #692561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ruck's an actual criminal, the conviction tells the tale there.

Reply #692570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz just stop please.

They had to go to court as DRuck not being too bright thought disappearing completely would mean he got away with it.

Reply #692572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another case of 'wow he was a great player, let's give him a job he’s in no way qualified for’

At least it wasn’t as bad as the Knox fiasco

Reply #692577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thank goodness AD is not in charge. I'm quite fine living in a society where criminal activity is punished.

Reply #692592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AD far out mate - he was on bail for driving off not paying $10 fuel while he was using a card he had no authorisation to use on personal expenses. That's called fraud and needs to be punished. Debt collectors only get involved when it’s a legally acquired debt one hasn’t paid off - given the debt isn’t legally acquired you can’t send it to the debt collector.

Thank Christ you aren’t a magistrate.

Reply #692646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I get where AD is coming from but at the end of the day using someone else's money for your own personal expenses is like stalling. We also don't know what expenses he incurred but 6,500 to 20,000 is not a small amount of money

Reply #692673 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

As I said, he's been convicted by the courts. So yes, that stands, he's guilty and a convicted criminal.

What else has actually been achieved??
He's been told to repay the $6,500, but that could have been pursued by other means.
What do you reckon this cost the taxpayer? In Police time, prosecutors time, court costs, probably paying Legal Aid for Rucker.???

And in a perfect world, where the police have infinite time to investigate every single crime, then ok.
But fact is if Rucker had stolen a $6,500 car, or done a B&E, or assaulted somebody, likely he would never had been caught.

And I come back to my original point.
The shenanigans that go on in some of these organisations are incredible. And the police really should stay out of it, and let them clean up their own mess.
Fact is he was obviously given a credit card which he had authority to use. What for?
Was he given a contract clearly stating precisely what he could and could not pay for??
It's extremely common in these types of situations, for these organisations to hire somebody like Rucker on the basis of "well we can only pay you a salary of $X, but we'll give you a credit card and you can spend $Y a month on "expenses".

Reply #692674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz

Reply #692675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz is delusional.

Reply #692682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Police officer here. Fwiw a case like that takes honestly bugger all of our time compared to other bread and butter protracted investigations we deal with. Not a drain on our time, prosecutors or the court. Lol though.

Reply #692687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Was he given a contract clearly stating precisely what he could and could not pay for??"

Typically you would be accepting terms and conditions for a company credit card, absolutely.

Reply #692691 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If he had a contract/anything which made the expense claiming ambiguous, surely the court wouldn't have convicted him with even a suspended sentence. AD, you're talking with limited information on the matter. If it was a non-issue, I'm sure it would've been resolved earlier and easier, or the sentencing would've been very mild. The article clearly said he spent and then went incommunicado. There was no suggestion he had good reason for that.

And I'm sure the club endeavoured to get their money back. Why would they prefer it go on this long if there were an easier road?

I'm not suggesting it was high crime, but then neither was the penalty.

The shenanigans that go on in some of these organisations are incredible. And the police really should stay out of it, and let them clean up their own mess.
I'm sure they're all a hapless mess, but let's say you're a parent putting money into a club: do you have any trust that a club that got themselves into a mess can get themselves out of it?

Reply #692701 | Report this post

Lincoln  
Years ago

If you read the article/s properly it states that a matter of fraud for some 20k+ was thrown out for a lack of evidence. So all these posts about ambiguous nature of contract...there it is right there.

Reply #692720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rucker is shady. I don't understand it, though. Did he live beyond his means? Made good money back in the day being an NBL superstar and even got a free house in Townsville (long story T'ville locals would know about LOL).

Reply #692724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rucker likes to gamble .

Reply #692729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"AD, you're talking with limited information on the matter"
Still.....again....as always.

Reply #692730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Rucker likes to gamble ."

Ooooo, tell us more!

Reply #692732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Rucker likes to gamble"

On what?

Reply #692743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"lack of evidence"

More commonly referred to as "no evidence to offer". Translation: prosecutors dropped/reduced a charge to accomodate a plea to lesser/fewer charges. A fairly common happening. Does not mean that there was no actual evidence.

Reply #692782 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Low life scum DOG!

Reply #701060 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

ok

Reply #701065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mick you're from Townsville right? There was that controversy with that builder during his Suns time as well.

Reply #701073 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:23 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754