Leandro Barbosa to the Kings?

Kings last import?

Their latest Facebook post suggest it's on the cards

Topic #43491 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a really odd kind of post to made by a team. You'd think he must have signed with them. Really strange to see a team post a speculative thing like that, so guessing some sort of deal must be done and they'll make it official soon.

Reply #692566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His numbers in Brazil haven't looked amazing. 13.3/3.3/3 on 0.399/0.185/0.726. It also means that they're bringing him in to play at the three, or moving Lisch to the three. Going through the notable players from that league, Nico Laprovitola is the only name that I recognise cause he played at the Spurs for a bit. Not a ringing endorsement but hey, he's a name.

Reply #692567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also with 2 imports already and at least 2 marquee players, the Kings are already at the limit of restricted players

Reply #692568 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Citation on the marquee players?

Reply #692569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mates rates

Reply #692571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow at how old this Kings team is going to be.

Reply #692573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They can still work another import into the mix. Say what you want about Van Groningen, but in this case he's worked the system well. But agree with the poster above. That was a bizarre post from their social media team. Unless they think it’s a way of keeping people talk about them in the off-season and they are basically just throwing sh*t up against the wall. However if true, it’s an odd signing. They need a bouncy three desperately, not some washed-up combo guard.

Reply #692578 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

After thinking "who" I looked him up.

Looks like his time with GSW overlapped Andrew Bogut's time there.

That might explain this signing, if it is a signing.

Reply #692579 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

@UseTaHoop You honestly had no idea who he was?

Reply #692580 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Nope. Don't follow NBA much

Reply #692581 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I wouldn't complain about having Barbosa come off the bench (not something I ever imagined myself saying re: an NBL team...), but the Kings are beginning to look like a John Farnham farwell tour.

Reply #692586 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Barbosa was just about a star player on those mid-2000's Suns teams I was thinking he would've been about 40 now but looking him up he's only 35 only one year removed from the NBA and still playing in Brazil so could be effective for the Kings. Assuming this rumour is true of course.

Reply #692589 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Which farewell tour?

He had about a dozen or so (at least it seemed like it).

I also don't follow John Farnham farewell tours much.

Reply #692590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow at not knowing Barbosa from the Suns years.

Reply #692608 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

"Looks like his time with GSW overlapped Andrew Bogut's time there.
That might explain this signing, if it is a signing."

That was the whole point of the FB Post: Bogut has speculated about bringing in an import "Mate".

Checkout Barbosa's Tweet from the Olympics:
https://twitter.com/TheBlurBarbosa/status/1002697661550678017

Reply #692610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cheers Dazz. For the tweet link.

Reply #692616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not happening. Just a dumb post by whoever is doing the Kings social media.

Reply #692626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This Kings team looking loaded!

Reply #692661 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"Also with 2 imports already and at least 2 marquee players, the Kings are already at the limit of restricted players"

Not sure the Kings would care about using marquee player status. They'd just revert one of the marquees to local player status and then take the third import. The marquee status only affects how much of the local player's salary counts towards the notional team salary cap. Just means Kings would pay a few more dollars to the NBL in "salary equalization subsidy" in order to get a third import. Money's clearly not an issue for that organisation this year.

Reply #692686 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Haha, yes they'd pay more to the equalization tax wouldn't they.

Reply #692688 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Who out of Bogut, Lisch and Newly isn't a marquee player?

Reply #692693 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think Lisch is. I haven't followed the Kings closely, but I think I've seen Bogut and Newley spoken of as some sort of marquee deal. Bogut at least. Who even knows the rules.

Reply #692702 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

I think every season since the new owners took over the Kings have had 3 imports (on and off maybe), so technically, it would have been only one marquee local...

The money talked about for Newls and Lisch early on it was expected that both of them would be marquees, but then 3 imports were signed, so they would have had to juggle the numbers...

If they go three imports again this season, that means only one local marquee and that has already been stated by I think JvG or even LK at being Bogues and the Kings will have to cop any extra cap amount for the others...

Reply #692706 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:58 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754