Anonymous
Years ago

Breakers sign Patrick Richard

Per their social media.

Poor man's Travis Leslie?

Topic #43496 | Report this topic

AD  
Years ago

Interesting. Is that what we were expecting? A SG?

Reply #692735 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Looks like a good player but very surprised they went a wing player when they already have Abercrombie, Webster and import Armani Moore, plus Ili and Weeks at point guard.

1, 2 and 3 looks super stacked but they've got a thin front court at this stage.

Reply #692736 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Presumably their final team looks something like...

Import*/Majok
Wesley/Delaney
Patrick*/Abercrombie
Webster/Moore*
Ili/Weeks

*Import

Have I missed anyone?

Reply #692737 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Ok, so you think he'll play more of an SF role here?
Are they really going to rely on Ili and Weeks to run point?

Reply #692738 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Ili / Weeks
Webster / Richard
Moore / Abercrombie / Ngatai
Wesley / Delaney
Import / Majok

Reply #692740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moore is more of a SF than Richard. I agree with Mystro's depth chart

Reply #692741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New Zealand are going to be playing a modern day, small-ball brand of basketball. Having Weeks and Ili as the point guards is OK, because their SGs and SFs will be able to initiate a lot of plays.

Reply #692742 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

From memory the owners have said from day dot that they're really going to splash out on a legit big to fill the five? If that's the case, they're going to be incredibly tough.

I don't think there's any concern around the PG position - Richard can play spot minutes and Webster was filling that role off the bench last time he played here. Ili is going to be even better than last season and Weeksy has always been underrated for what he provides. They'll likely run the offense through Wesley in the half court anyhow and run at every opportunity when they can.

I really like what the organisation is putting together, they might wait until Summer League shakes out before going after a five or they could sign another proven big from Europe.

Would love to see a re-brand to top it all off - fair to see it's overdue.

Reply #692756 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

*say

Reply #692757 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

The next signing will be 6.10"/6.11” and able to get up and down the floor and play above the rim.
Charles Jackson from a few seasons ago wouldn't be a bad pickup

Reply #692758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah rebrand would be nice. The logo has stayed the same since 2003 basically and it's so unimaginative.

Reply #692760 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The Breakers actually have the oldest logo in the league.

Reply #692761 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Hadn't paid close attention to Moore yet- so putting him backup SG may have been incorrect.

I generally categorise players according to: Point, Wing and Big.

Currently who do Breakers have who could run the point? Ili, Weeks, Webster

Wings- Abercrombie, Webster, Moore, Richard

Bigs- Majok, Wesley, Delaney, Abercrombie (as a stretch 4)

So clearly they’re missing some power and size

Reply #692763 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

Well my tip that Ngatai would win MIP is quickly going up in smoke as he will struggle to get on the court!

So are we expecting an ex NBA center then?

Would NZ fans prefer a second round type that's still young and raw, a Rakeem Christmas type that still has a few years left in him or a NBA vet?

Reply #692768 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

What about the Sydney Kings logo? Does it not count because of their temp logo during the Firepower year?

When did Perth & Cairns last change their logo?

Reply #692769 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Sydney also changed their colour scheme a couple of years ago.

Cairns removed the hoop around their logo in 2016, Perth added "Est'd 1982" to their logo in 2013.

Reply #692770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wesk roster

Reply #692771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those of you saying the Breakers lack size need to catch up with modern day trends. Go look at the recent NBA Finals. Centres and post-up play are extinct these days as they are not as efficient.

Reply #692772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wesk roster

Reply #692773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Richard most recently played for Joventut Badalona in Spain's Liga ACB, where he averaged 11.3 points, 3.2 rebounds and 1.7 assists through 32 games. He shot 50 percent from the floor, 36 from beyond the arc and 84 from the free-throw line."

Don't they often say the Spain ACB is one of the best leagues in the world? If so, those are very decent numbers. This guy could be the real deal.

Reply #692775 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

Depends on the team. Eventually I think this whole 3 point team will be worked out. Teams trying to copy the warriors will also struggle. I still think that big man have a role in basketball like embiid, but they need to have a decent shot

Reply #692777 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Cairns 1999/00:

Cairns 2015/16:

Sydney 1999/00:

Sydney 2016/17:

Perth 2000/01:

Perth 2006/07:

Perth 2012/13:

Reply #692778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every NBL logo bar Sydney's needs a total revamp IMO.

LK should oversee a revamp of every logo in a similar style. Check out KHL ice hockey team logos as an example.

Reply #692779 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Why would you want every team's logo to be in a similar style?

Reply #692781 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

28yo and played in a few leagues so I think he'll be a very good back up SG and will fit in with Braswell’s preferred run & gun style and he should compliment Weeks in the back up unit.
Great signing imo

Reply #692784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Richards is an ex seabl player

Reply #692786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"New Zealand are going to be playing a modern day, small-ball brand of basketball. Having Weeks and Ili as the point guards is OK, because their SGs and SFs will be able to initiate a lot of plays."

Soo they're going to run a 1950's Shuffle Offence...

Whole argument is circular nonsense.
If a guard is good at running the point, then they're a Point Guard. Or at least a combo.
So you're saying that its all ok because the guys who aren't good enough to run the point, will help run the point.

Tell me the last team to win a championship without a decent Point Guard?

Reply #692792 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Putting together an impressive squad. They have said he will be a shooting guard so roster will look like this:

Illi / Weeks
Webster / *Patrick Richard
*Armani Moore / Abercrombie / Ngatai
Wesley / Delaney
*Import / Majok

If they get the right import big man they will be a force. Failing that they will struggle against the likes of the "Perth Wall".... unless Majok suddenly wins the Most Improved Award.

Reply #692794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Why would you want every team's logo to be in a similar style?"

Because the club's, when left to their own devices, have churned out amateur logos as seen by the present ones. Check out the KHL logos and you will see what I mean - they all have a very professional and 'strong' look to them.

Reply #692796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Abercrombie will see quite a few minutes at the 4

Reply #692797 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Richard's numbers in Spain last year are better than the numbers posted by Lisch, Goulding and Penney when they played there in 2014-15.

Richard also posted strong numbers in Germany in 2014-15- another strong league.

Moore's numbers aren't as good, but he's only 24 and this will be his 3rd pro season.

I forgot about Ngatai. Breakers are ridiculously deep in the 2 and 3 spots.

Breakers are shaping up well.

Reply #692798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd agree with the Abercrombie at the 4 - that's the only thing that makes sense with the choice of imports at this point. Abercrombie/Wesley frontcourt will create some problems on one of the court, at least.

Reply #692799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moore is a backup 4, can play 2-4 which is part of the appeal. He played PF spot in Europe and in College (even played 5 in NCAA). He's undersized, but more than strong and athletic enough. Draymond Green type of guy, just not as tall. Young guy on the up, coming off a great finish to his European season, ready for a breakout season.

Almost a lock that Richards starts at 3, he's a very high level guy done it at the top of Europe. Richards can play 1-3

Breakers have a ton of modern switchable guys who play multiple positions, play fast and stretch the floor. Going to be a lock for a top 3 team especially with a high level 5 still to come. One of the deepest teams I can remember seeing

Reply #692800 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Wesley will play the 5 a fair bit, uptempo small ball.

Reply #692802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not convinced they are top 3. Abercrombie fell of a cliff last year, and a lot depends on how good the imports are, not to mention Braswell as coach.

Reply #692803 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Just wait until these modern guys run into a good old fashioned "Perth Wall"

Reply #692805 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Breakers or Adelaide fighting for fourth spot.

Reply #692806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL is still in the times of the big man C. Look how the Cats fared when Knight was forced to retire, he was old and slow, but he banged the boards, changed opposition shots and had a decent mid range jumper you could rely on. Boone was massive for United last year. Ogilvy had an unusually down year, however I don't think he has a ticker. DJ was great playing C and stretch 4 with his outside shot. Bogut if healthy will be fairly dominant in the paint, Kings struggled last year with Hump and Crazy. Cats have Brandt and Jervis, don't think this is quite strong enough, but the addition of Kay in the PF spot helps a lot. Cairns struggled with their bigs. NZ losing Pledger is big, unless they can replace him. I think it's pretty safe to say that the past decades worth of champions have had a decent level starting C on the team. Possibly every champion, but I'd have to go back and check.

Reply #692810 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Anon, you don't think NZ are going to spend enough to have a "decent level starting C"?
Most of their Import $ is going on this player.

Reply #692815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mystro, I definitely think NZ will seal up a great C and the fact that their team will be complete before most others will be great for their early team chemistry over other teams. I was referring to earlier posts talking about NBL going the way of small ball which is not even close to happening.

Reply #692832 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Fair call Anon. I also prefer to lock in the imports sooner rather than later so the rest of the team know what's up and even more so now there is 3 import spots.
Also add in the fact that Wesley, Majok and Ili have all been playing together in the NZ NBL for Braswell so they’ll all be on the same page come game 1 round 1.
This is shaping up to be a great season with all the roster changes around the league.

Reply #692844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Former SEABL import for Sandringham in 2013. Averaged 18pg 6reb, but was also a really great teammate, supporter of the Youth players and clubman in general.

Reply #692852 | Report this post

Zig  
Years ago

Breakers new owners clearly don't have the same kind of cash as previous.
Plus composition of squad seems to have more to do with internal politics/ factions/ Bro's.
No Vukona? He is the Heart & Soul of NZ Basketball (and yes I appreciate the irony.)
All up, they are assembling a dominent NZ-NBL squad.
Hard to see them competing against the super-teams next season.

Reply #692857 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Not bad stats in one of the better leagues in Europe, i think many people are sleeping on this guy!

Reply #692875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Absolute trash roster.

Reply #692956 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:28 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754