koberulz
Years ago

2018 FIBA Rule Changes

FIBA Central Board gives final approval for wide range of changes to Official Basketball Rules

MIES, Switzerland - FIBA's Central Board on Saturday signed off on changes being made to the Official Basketball Rules.

The modifications will help make the game more spectacular, free-flowing and fluid.

These changes come after FIBA's Rules Advisory Group (RAG) - which consists of experts from FIBA, the NBA and the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) - analysed 32 proposals and made recommendations to FIBA's Technical Commission at its meeting on June 6-7.

RAG held extensive talks and consultations with these bodies as well as the FIBA Players' Commission and the World Association of Basketball Coaches (WABC) in the leadup to the meeting.

FIBA's Technical Commission reviewed all 32 proposals and approved 14 of them, paving the way for the Central Board to give the final green light.

The changes will come into effect as of October 1, 2018.

Topic #43497 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

and those rules are?

Reply #692750 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Is it at all possible they are outlined in the link provided?

Reply #692752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Article 36 - Technical foul
New rule: If a technical foul is called, 1 free throw shall be awarded. After the free throw, the game shall be resumed by the team which had control of the ball or was entitled to the ball from the point when the technical foul was called.
Reason for change: To avoid double penalty situation after a technical foul is called and to ensure the balance between team with the ball or without the ball. Strongly supported by Players' Commission and WABC.

Article 29 - 24 seconds
Amended rule: 29.2.3 - The shot clock shall be reset whenever the game is stopped by an official for a foul or violation committed by the team in control of the ball.

In these situations, the possession of the ball shall be awarded to the opponent team that previously had control of the ball. Then:

If the throw-in is administered in the backcourt, the shot clock shall be reset to 24 seconds.
If the throw-in is administered in the frontcourt, the shot clock shall be reset to 14 seconds.
When the game clock shows 2:00 minutes or less in the fourth quarter and in overtime, following a time-out taken by the team that is entitled to the possession of the ball from its backcourt, the coach of that team has the right to decide whether the subsequent throw-in shall be administered at the throw-in line opposite the scorer's table in the team's frontcourt or in the team's backcourt.

If the throw-in shall be administered at the throw-in line opposite the scorer's table in the team's frontcourt, the shot clock shall be reset as follows:

If 14 seconds or more is displayed on the shot clock at the time when the game clock was
stopped, the shot clock shall be reset to 14 seconds.
If 13 seconds or less is displayed on the shot clock at the time when the game clock was
stopped, the shot clock shall not be reset, but shall continue from the time it was stopped.
If the throw-in shall be administered in the team's backcourt, the shot clock shall be reset to new 24 seconds
or continue from the time it was stopped as defined by the rules.

Reason for change: To shorten the time the offensive team has at its disposal for a shot, once a team is already in the frontcourt. To allow for more opportunities for a shot for a field goal during the game.

Article 35 - Double foul
New rule:
35.1 Definition
35.1.1 A double foul is a situation in which 2 opponents commit personal fouls against each other at approximately the same time.
35.1.2 To consider 2 fouls as a double foul, the following conditions shall be required:

Both fouls are player's fouls.
Both fouls involve physical contact.
Both fouls are between 2 opponents fouling each other.
Both fouls have the same penalty.
Reason for change: To simplify the rules principles in the situation when 2 opponents commit personal fouls against each other at approximately the same time.

Article 39 - Fighting
New rule: 39.3.1 - Irrespective of the number of team bench personnel disqualified for leaving the team bench area, a single technical foul ('B') shall be charged against the coach. Any team bench personnel who, after leaving the bench area, is actively involved in a fight shall be disqualified according to the respective articles (Disqualifying foul 'D’).
Reason for change: To penalize team bench members for leaving the team bench area during the fight on the court differently (whether they are actively involved in the fight or not).

Article 46 - Crew chief: Duties and powers/Instant Replay Review
Proposed new rule: 46.12

Last two minutes of the game 2:00:

whether a goaltending or basket interference violation was called correctly.
During any time of the game:

after a foul was called on a shooter for an unsuccessful field goal whether 2 or 3 free throws shall be awarded.
Whether a personal, unsportsmanlike or disqualifying foul met the criteria for such a foul or shall be up- or downgraded.
Reason for change: To add 3 more cases for the Instant Replay System (IRS) reviewable game situations.

Throw-in after an unsportsmanlike or disqualifying foul
New rule: All throw-ins as the part of an unsportsmanlike and disqualifying foul shall be administered from the throw-in line in the team's frontcourt.
Reason for change: To speed up the game, to allow for more possession thus for possibly more scoring. To eliminate complex situations after a throw-in from the center line.

Reply #692753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are also additional changes in the linked PDF that weren't mentioned in the article itself.

Reply #692754 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Above post was me.

Reply #692755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks kr.

Reply #692759 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Just to clarify: 754 was me. 753 wasn't.

Reply #692762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks #753.

Reply #692767 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The optional advancement/14-second shot clock after timeouts in the last two minutes is going to wreak havoc with a lot of late-game strategy. Should be a lot of fun while everyone figures it out.

Reply #692780 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Knee jerk rule changes and pedantic shot clock responsibilities to confuse those who already find that task a challenge, fine but what about real rule changes to make the game 'more spectacular, free flowing & fluid'?

How about, gee I don't know, maybe not allowing defenders to hack the crap out of a player going to the basket who is open and vulnerable by calling the unsportsmanlike foul when it should be called!

Or maybe calling a foul on a defender who blocks an opposing player's run, especially in the key where wrestling appears to be acceptable these days!

Or maybe, just maybe, call the damn holding in the paint instead of yelling out 'hands off' sixteen times a quarter before a foul is called, so skill players can actually play the game the way it was intended......!

Why are FIBA making idiotic and unnecessarily complex rule changes under the auspice of 'more spectacular and fluid' play when we are not actually interpreting or adjudicating the bloody rules we already have, that will actually make the game more spectacular & fluid?

Rant over...

Reply #692816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Enforce the 3 second rule would nice.

Reply #692818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ do you even know the rule completely yourself? Most don't.

Reply #692819 | Report this post

Pop  
Years ago

Bear, totally agree, on absolutely all counts ... but can I add attention to players charging [repeatedly driving their shoulder into the chest of a legally positioned defender] in the low post to the list of neglected areas needing attention?

Couldn't have said the rest as well as you have.

Reply #692827 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Yeah @Pop, that is another area they just don't appear to interpret properly or just ignore.

My point of course is more about how the rules are being interpreted as the real issue that needs addressing by FIBA, rather than introducing more bloody rules.

I know I may sound like a broken record or something, but I have watched lots of basketball and love the game, but I find these types of announcements just frustrating and difficult to tolerate.

The way I see it is this: Identify the root causes and real issues, then fix them with real solutions, don't just make politically correct or cosmetic rule changes to justify your existence. This in charge need to be sacked and replaced by people who live in the real world, or at least start talking to them...

Now the rant is over!

Reply #692830 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

...Those in charge...

Reply #692831 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

KR: the 14 sec clock rule in last 2 min might result in more changes of possession and the final 2 minutes being extended in real time. Driven by advertising revenue considerations perhaps?

Pop: shoulder charging of legally positioned defenders would already be covered by charge/ O foul calls, you seem to be implying that refs just need to interpret properly and call it

Reply #692850 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

"@Why are FIBA making idiotic and unnecessarily complex rule changes under the auspice of 'more spectacular and fluid' play when we are not actually interpreting or adjudicating the bloody rules we already have, that will actually make the game more spectacular & fluid?"

So the freeloaders who are on these committees can justify their junkets to all their meetings and tournaments.

I was on a national training committee once in the indudtry I worked in. I tried my best to limit changes and keep things simple as I was also involved with delivery of any changes and understood the cost,time and effort involved in implimentation and also the fact that there was very little real return on that investment. Many of those involved just dragged meetings on and came up with the most trivial BS excuses to change things or add new competencies as they were on the clock for their time and living the good life while away.

Reply #692853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get Bear on the rules board.

Reply #692854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FSTOS just hit the nail on the head. It's all about a cruisey lifestyle where you are on a board that meets X times/year and you get paid handsomely for it. You aren't there to make improvements because then there will be nothing to fix. You're there to keep the status quo, apply some cosmetic changes and rinse and repeat to keep getting the $$$. People like this rarely get found out, except for that one chick from AMP non-executive board. Absolute scumbags/

Reply #692855 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Anon @818, the 3 second rule should of course be enforced, however if your comment is in reference to the issue of a big player camping in the paint etc... I would suggest that the problem would not exist if players could post up without having to wrestle with their opponents. Common sense and logical observations need to be applied.

No where in the rules can I find a clause that allows a player to defend by placing arms around their opponent, pushing into their opponent, blocking their run, grabbing them by the arm or climbing over an opponent's back.

So, let's be fair here, if the interpretation of the existing rules is such that a physical defender (possibly less skilled) is allowed to use such tactics that illegally prevents clean possession of the ball by an attacking player in the paint, the 3 second rule will compound the problem of officiating it properly because it usually takes more than 3 seconds to get free from your opponent's grip.

Cause and effect!

Last time I looked it was FIBA, not the WWE...

Reply #692937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree bear.

Reply #692952 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

KR: the 14 sec clock rule in last 2 min might result in more changes of possession and the final 2 minutes being extended in real time. Driven by advertising revenue considerations perhaps?
How does more possessions lead to more advertising revenue? The last set of rule changes included a reduction in timeouts.

What it will do is affect teams trying 2-for-1 or attempting to hold for the last shot.

Reply #692969 | Report this post

Brian Peet  
Years ago

What is FIBA ruling on a player ( Offence or defense) that leaves playing area and runs down sideline or endline to gain advantage. Either to avoid screens, congestion, and gain a better defensive position or receive ball on offence.

Reply #712113 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I don't believe there is one anymore, unless they're specifically doing it to avoid a three-second call.

Reply #712115 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The optional advancement/14-second shot clock after timeouts in the last two minutes is going to wreak havoc with a lot of late-game strategy. Should be a lot of fun while everyone figures it out.
And we got our first real test of it Saturday afternoon, with the Wildcats burning a timeout with 27 seconds left in a tied game and choosing to inbound in the backcourt to minimise Melbourne's chances of scoring.

I wouldn't have taken the timeout at all, personally. Pretty sure the team can kill clock and get a look on their own, and then they would've had the timeout up their sleeve to advance the ball after the offensive foul call with one second remaining.

It can't be much longer until we get a 14-second shot clock that starts when the ball crosses halfcourt. That's clearly the direction things are headed.

Reply #712116 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:35 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754