RJ
Years ago

Funny 2005 Junior Boy's Prelims

12 Boys 1:
11:30 Pasa 3 West V South
Well West proved they could go with the Sabres, going down by only 9 38-29. That included a 13-6 Sabres dominated 4th quarter. The poise these boys play with is a site to see for an under 12 side. They'll again face up to the Panthers who stood strong to also win by 9 against the bigger and much improved Forestville Eagles. While West's win last week wasn't unexpected the margin was. I still think the Bearcats will get the win Sunday but not by 26.

14 Boys 1:
12:30 DHD 1 West V Norwood
Well maybe I gave West too much credit, or Sturt not enough. Either way the Sabres comfortable win last night sets up a battle between the Bearcats and Flames. (How's this for kismet!) If West didn't have reason to get fired up Friday they certainly will for Sunday's engagement. The Flames have steadily improved all year but I doubt West will let this one slip and I'm tipping they'll sneak by to win, this time.

16 Boys 1:
12:30 DHD 3 West V North
Well the Sabres defensively clamped down on Friday night to barely allow the West guys to move in offence. (If you saw it you'd realise I'm still probably under stating it.) Humphries still managed 16 points but the Bearcats were forced out of their offence and only through some big shots managed to get it down to 2 57-55.
North on the other hand came back from an early deficit and built on a strong 21-12 2nd quarter in a solid all-round game. The Panthers made a late run, highlighted by two 3's from bottom age Tim Smyth but the Rockets had enough (unlike Carlo's Flames last week) to hold on for a 52-43 win. So West v North once again in post-season action. Unless the Rockets can hold (and I mean HOLD) West's offensive guns down then the Bearcats should get a comfortable 10 point win here.

18 Boys 1:
10:00 Port 1 Southern V Sturt
Sturt's win was built on a very impressive 1st half. Up by 13 at halftime and 17 at three quarter time they fell asleep and gave West a sniff. That was enough for a late comeback built on some tough defence from the Bearcats and smart decisions offensively. Cameron, Molitor and Long combined for 18 of West's 20 4th quarter points to Sturt's 5. But it was too little too late, the Sabres getting by 43-41; Dodman's 12 points the best of an even spread for the Sabres. The game we all were waiting for, and few actually saw was between the Eagles and Tigers. A very physical contest was also highlighted by some sweet shooting from both teams. A 12-24 3rd quarter gave the Eagles the momentum and some better decision making down the stretch along with the fouling out of the under-rated Mike Florance gave the win to the Eagles by 3 66-69. Best for the Tigers were Brown (13pts), Slaghekke (20) and Scott's 17 points helped keep the Tigers up early and in the game late. Best for the Eagles were the 'name 3' AIS bound Seebohm (12), Harri (I can get to the basket at will, and now do an actual lay-up) Harvey with 19 and the big and I do mean BIG man Trent Fildes with 20 from inside and out. Also impressive was AJ's 14 and tough D off the bench.
So we get to Sunday's game between the Tigers and Sabres. The return of Dodman gives the Sabres a different look and they have plenty of talent around him with the likes of state reps Blood, Gemo, Gavranich and Huxford. Add to that one of the most astute junior coaches going around in Rigoni and they're definately not to be taken lightly. The Tigers on the other hand have out hustled and out muscled teams all year but now face elimination one week out from the Final. The Tigers will need the usual suspects to again pull out a big game. If Scott, Hemmings and Florance can light it up from the perimeter, Slaghekke battle hard inside and Brown, well do a bit of everything they'll get the win. I'm tipping the Sabres run to come to an end, mostly because I want to see another Forestville v Southern showdown.

Phew...

20 Men 1:
12:30 Port 1 Woodville V Norwood
Another Qualifying Final re-match this time for a Grand Final spot. North's early lead was enough to get them over the Warriors by 4 58-54. Four 3 pointers from Pascoe not quite enough; Kontos with 4 of his own and the Rockets as a team making 12. Maybe they should play 10:30 games more often :-). In the earlier game the Flames outlasted West 80-65. Outlasted being key West finishing the game with 2 players after 4 of their 7 players fouled out and Craddock went down with a serious ankle injury. To their credit Norwood set up the win early with a 17-12 1st quarter highlighted by some big shots from Lampshire.
I'm jumping ship, the Warriors form in the finals so far convincing me they have enough to again beat the Flames. (Which probably means they'll now lose, sorry guys.)

Topic #4359 | Report this topic

Years ago

Good Write up Rj

Reply #50580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeh nice work m8, in 16s west v north 3 weeks in a row 1 all in the past 2 games both team seem 2 be hitting some form should be a great game

Reply #50582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In the 18 Boys Div 1 final. Southern and their cheating coaches got their just deserts and were knocked out by the Sabres.

It called Karma guys.

Reply #50628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dodman played a blinder! Sturt stood up while the toothless & complaining Tigers fell on their post Classics ego swords. Sturt will be no easy match for the egales next week. Should be a classic match.

Reply #50638 | Report this post

Moscow  
Years ago

Yes they will as Dodman might not be playing the GF

Reply #50640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

na he is playing

Reply #50647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hes difently playin!! i play 4 sturt!

Reply #50870 | Report this post

Moscow  
Years ago

we'll see

Reply #50894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can anyone please post the prelim finals results?

Reply #50903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

16/1s west def.north 6pts

Reply #50919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry North but what a great season you have had, good intensity and all round effort.

Reply #50997 | Report this post

SRC  
Years ago

i want to go and watch the 18s on sunday but if dodmans not playing, i dont think i will go. Can anyone please clarify if he is playing or not??

Reply #51008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hey rj have you got gf write ups yet??

Reply #51294 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:16 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754