Anonymous
Years ago

Illawarra Hawks announce Brian Conklin signing

NBl website said he has signed

Topic #43610 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is some fun banter between the Hawks and Kings on Twitter at the moment related to this.

Reply #696281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Never heard of Conkiln, he must be in hot demand.

Reply #696289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brian "the flying elbow" Conklin

Reply #696290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's King Conklin to you!

Reply #696292 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

Have a look at Damian Martin's teeth.

Reply #696298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was about to sign in the Philippines until last Monday...

Reply #696313 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Will hopefully help some rivalries between teams. Good for the league.

Reply #696314 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

So looks like they just need one local big. Will it be Cody Ellis?

Ogilvy / Andersen
*Conklin / Ellis (?)
Blanchfield / Conreaad / Grida
*Jett / White
*Jackson / Naar

Reply #696315 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I don't want to have to see that glazed look in Damo's eyes again this season

Reply #696319 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Must admit, was starting to think the rumour had no legs, wonder why it took so long?

If he can regain his MVP form, he was a very good player. Hopefully he has lost the habit of throwing his arms out when dispossessed.

Be interesting to see who they go for in their final local. Surely it needs to be a Forward. Who is around besides Ellis?
I have heard that Ellis is staying in Perth, but imagine he'd still take an NBL contract when offered.

Reply #696322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cook

Reply #696323 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Massive spud that bloke.

Reply #696324 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Maybe they can pick up someone fresh out of college. Any Aussie bigs just graduate?

Reply #696327 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

It'll be Cooks if he wants it. Ellis' if Cooks scores an NBA or Euro deal.

Reply #696334 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

There's a big difference between Cooks and Ellis, both with position and quality.

Reply #696338 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Is Jock Landale any chance?

Team him up again with Naar, back up Ogilvy which on last years form is 25mins per game, Anderson Backs up Conklin.

Ogilvy/Landale???
Conklin/Anderson
Blanch/Coneraad
Jett/White/Grida
Cedric/Naar

Reply #696341 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I have to admit that had they gotten Rotnei instead of JJ and they get Landale then they'd be an incredibly difficult team to beat with 3 MVPs, AJ that can be anything at any one time, Andersen as our greatest winner ever and a few other pieces around them... there are championship teams that would struggle against that team but JJ feels like the weak link, but I'd gladly be proven wrong.

Quite excited to see Conklin back and especially around AJ and if that brings out some mongrel in AJ too

Reply #696351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This team sucks in 2018.

Would have been ok a few years back.

Reply #696375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How did Crocs go when Conk and JJ were their imports? Bottom two I'm guessing and that’s when they were in their prime. Add in a past it CJ, should be a contender for worst import trio in the league

Reply #696380 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

How did Crocs go when Conk and JJ were their imports?
They played about half a dozen games before Conklin's habit of elbowing people in the face got him sacked.

They beat Perth, in Perth, from a significant deficit at three-quarter time. They absolutely hammered Melbourne in Melbourne.

There was the massive comeback at home against Adelaide in front of a raucous crowd of 15 that year too, but that was after Conklin had departed and they brought in Omar Samhan.

That Crocs team was so much fun to watch. Shame they folded, as they had a lot of good young pieces: Norton, Kay, Djeric, Steindl, Froling...if they'd managed to keep that group together they'd be a damn good team right now.

Reply #696410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They would've been poached, though.

Reply #696496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Djeric is playing second tier in Serbia, Steindl was not very impressive for cats this season, rose coloured glasses I think.

Reply #696512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jett is not as bad as everyone is making him out to be.

Jackson might be revitalized being back in the NBL where he has played his best basketball. At 32, he probably still has some gas in the tank. He was a top-5 player in the league just about every season he was here except for the one with Melbourne. From all accounts, chemistry (with the coach) was a big issue there. Wouldn't think he'd have that issue this year - Bevo gets the most out of his players.

I think they have done well to put together this roster. They don't have the big bucks of other teams but at a minimum they will be competitive in every game. Cairns on the other hand...

Reply #696517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Taipans will finish ahead of the Hawks........on the other hand!

Reply #696630 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

On a budget, you have to roll the dice, and it looks like they've done that. Short a shooter though? And I would've thought ideally one of your guards could take the big three when required?

Reply #696635 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Illawarra are miles ahead of Cairns!

Taipans will finish last by a long way, their roster is terrible even compared to the Hawks who are the other "Budget" team.

Reply #696642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are supposed to spend 90% of the cap.
However seeing as there is no real cap the strong will simply outspend the minnows.

Reply #696646 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Yes they spend 90% of the cap and the big boys spend 180%.

Reply #696651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"How did Crocs go when Conk and JJ were their imports? Bottom two I'm guessing and that's when they were in their prime."

Conklin is now 28 and Jett 26, they were both well before their prime back then.

Reply #696653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The hawks have the worst lot of imports. Shocking.

Reply #696781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawkes might sign there old championship coach to revive the 'glory days'. Put the has-beens back together. Yeh, that'll work!

Reply #696856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who are the Hawkes? The Bob Hawkes? What is it with people consitently adding an e to the word. Baffling.

Reply #696875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

consistently*

Reply #696876 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Bafflinge indeede.

It's the new Eurostepe. Or Eurosteppe if you’re a fan of Eastern Euro literature.

The Concorde name was Francified with a final E for: England, entente cordiale and Excellent. (The Francified spelling led to a backlash in England, but their transport minister pacified the populace with that explanation).

Somehow I think Hawkes vs Hawks isn’t a big deal (or deals) in comparison.

Reply #697027 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:41 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754