Isaac
Years ago

Dallas pass on Creek, but Nets/76ers still a chance

The Mavericks informed Creek's management of their decision yesterday, choosing to go in a different direction with the second of their two-way contracts - deals that involve players splitting time between the NBA and the G-League.

Dallas signed Greek youngster Kostas Antetokounmpo – younger brother of Bucks All-Star Giannis Antetokounmpo – to a two-way deal over the weekend.

Word around UNLV’s Thomas & Mack Centre is that the Mavs intend to use their other two-way contract to sign big man Ray Spalding, who showed flashes of his considerable upside for Dallas over the past ten days in Vegas.
The news comes as a major disappointment for Creek who performed well during his second NBA Summer League.

"It’s certainly not great that the Mavs have decided to go a different direction," Creek told NBL Media.

“But at the end of the day I’m really proud of the way I competed at Summer League. I gave it my all every possession and I feel like I did a good job showcasing my game to not only the Mavs, but all the NBA teams.”

The Aussie started three of Dallas’ five games, averaging 6.8 points and 5.2 rebounds per game.
Creek impressed the Brooklyn Nets during workouts last month and the Philadelphia 76ers have also expressed interest in the 26-year-old. The Nets have one two-way contract up their sleeve while the 76ers are yet to utilise either of theirs for the coming season.

Both the Nets and Sixers represent intriguing potential landing places for Creek, given their strong Australian connections.
Full story

Topic #43623 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thought Creek did pretty well in the Summers. Hope he gets his chance. He is good enough.

Reply #696712 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

There's a big difference between being good enough to play against these guys, which he is, and getting that shot. Because Creek doesn't have that one stand out skill that makes him an NBA player he might always fall through the cracks. It has to suck for him to have busted his guts the way he did only to lose a position to someone who just has more god-given size and athleticism.

Reply #696719 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

He did everything but shoot well. If he showed a better touch from 3 he'd have a two-way deal right now and his size at 6'5 doesnt help either. However his effort was very impressive.

Reply #696725 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Kostas Antetokounmpo had a very average SL. Really ordinary.

But it's his potential that gets him that over Creek - plus his length size and the fact he is 6 years younger.

It's unfortunate - but that's really what the 2 way contracts are for I suppose.

Reply #696740 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Would be suited to LA. Work ethic alone

Reply #696743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was good, but I don't think I would take him. Too small, can't shoot.

Reply #696749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's only too small next to the measuring tape, he can defend and rebound against bigger opponents. The shooting bit is the concern though, if only he'd nailed a few triples.

Reply #696758 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

His size, strength, athleticism and attitude is perfect for the modern NBA, he just can't shoot the 3, simple.

Reply #696759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's only 6'5. Most point guards these days are coming in at 6'5

Reply #696760 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He definitely wasn't too short to play his role in summer league. It might possibly limit how big a role he can play in the NBA, but he is good enough, strong enough and quick enough to make a contribution if he gets a chance.

Reply #696762 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

His three point shooting or lack thereof works against him but I hope he is able to land a two way contract.

Reply #696767 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yep, that's his biggest limitation. He can do it when open, but needed to show it in Vegas.

Reply #696778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sure Southern will have him back when he doesn’t get an offer.

Reply #696784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And under the DJ clause I'm sure he would be eligible for finals too!

Reply #696786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek obviously isn't injured, so Southern might have to wait for next season to stack their team again. It’s okay for them to do it, but not anyone else.

Reply #696789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really hope Creek gets his opportunity. He is probably the hardest worker in the NBL matching it with the imports.

Reply #696801 | Report this post

Flip  
Years ago

I hope he gets a shot. He hasn't done his resume any harm with the way he performed at summer league. Good help him move to a larger Euroleague Team.

Reply #696819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No harm at all, and Euroleague could be a good fit for him, physical.

Reply #696834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Too good for Adelaide 36ers.

Reply #696865 | Report this post

+  
Years ago

Nets would be the best bet.

Reply #696884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To make the NBA, you have to jack up 3s 2 feet behind the arc because the Warriors do it and are succesful at it and because they are good at it means you have to copy them.

Also, what works against Creeek is that he plays defense.
That is definitly a no no in the modern NBA

Reply #696934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Found Creekys Mum

Reply #696937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://bit.ly/2JTnUbq

Interesting insight on what is involved when you commit to playing on a Summer League team.

Apparently 26th July (US time) (so 27th July for us most likely) is when the final decision is made re: Mitch making it onto an NBA team roster.

Reply #698048 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I could see the 76ers liking and picking him up and getting him to work on his outside shot, because once he has that locked away he will be a very useful weapon. They love a hustler (look at TJ Mcconnell andd his backstory) I don't know that this will happen, i think he may get a shot with Brooklyn at a stretch. It really sucks the Mavs didn't take him. Good luck to him, he shone at Summer league and that was even with an unselfish style of play.

Reply #698165 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Mavs just traded Motley, one of their two way players, so maybe Creek has a chance to get that spot.

Reply #698167 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

Any word yet on Creek securing a 2 way contract? I read on Players Voice that 26/7 was the day to find out. I suspect the answer's no, or we would have seen an announcement.

I see that the 76'rs have signed their 2nd round pick, Shake Milton to a 2 way contract. I can't see Creek getting a contract with the 76rs unless he was a very good outside shooter.

Hope he gets picked up somewhere

Reply #698368 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Creek's German club is reporting he's activated his NBA out clause, so that sounds promising. They have signed Xavier Cooks in his place.

Reply #698369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Read above. 26 July US time so 27 July for us.

Reply #698373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

... and still 5AM over in USA land right now. Patience.

Reply #698374 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:26 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754