Zodiac
Years ago

LeBron James to skip USA Basketball mini-camp next week

A potential spanner in the works for LK, the NBL and Basketball Australia if LeBron skips the World Cup not having him to market not just for the two games here against the Boomers next year but also on the NBL's next TV deal.

Next week in Las Vegas, many of the best basketball players walking the face of the earth — Stephen Curry, James Harden, Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, Anthony Davis, just to name a few — will get together under the guidance of Gregg Popovich for the USA Basketball mini-camp.

It is the first workout of the pool of 35 players — which will ultimately be narrowed down to a dozen — who will represent the United States at the 2019 World Cup in China and 2020 Olympics in Tokyo. It also will be the first workouts for the team under new coach Gregg Popovich. It's a who’s who of NBA talent.

Except new Laker LeBron James will not be there, reports Dave McMenamin of ESPN.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/07/17/report-lebron-james-to-skip-usa-basketball-mini-camp-next-week/

Topic #43630 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Years ago

I should've added that LeBron is currently in Las Vegas too watching the Lakers summer league games.

Reply #696932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think the World Cup team will include people like LeBron. Have a look at the last squad - I think it's even more likely it will be like that this time as it's back to back summers with the Olympics. A lot of those guys aren't going to want to do that.

I thought the players used on the poster advertising those Australian games was pretty risky. Super casual people might be a quite let down when they see it's actually Kemba not Kyrie and DeMar not Durant. I'd think it's probably 50/50 as to whether Simmons even suits up for Australia - I mean, you'd think for those Melbourne Games surely, but when he's been asked about the Olympics he's been super definite, when it's the World Cup he's more "aaaahhh we'll see".

Reply #697344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Difference is this upcoming World Cup is in China.

All the stars will want to play the only meaningful games they will ever get a chance to play on Chinese soil (outside of '08 Olympics). Remember China = money so the stars will be like ants to sugar.

Reply #697352 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:42 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754