Cram
Years ago

Ben Simmons sitcom

LeBron is producing a sitcom loosely based on Ben Simmons life

https://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/ben-simmons-family-life-inspires-american-comedy-series-20180911-p5034x.html?crpt=homepage

It'll be about his blended family with the US-Australian connections. Ben and his brother will also be producers

Topic #43874 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I remember when the NBA was just about basketball...

Reply #703922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When was that Anon? I'll answer for you, never. A quick history lesson on the NBA would reaffirm that.

Reply #703923 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

The NBA is about the least basketball-orientated league out there. It's about entertainment, which meshes nicely with the above.

Reply #703934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Slow day for threads

Reply #703937 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Ok, on topic but a change in tact, what will it be called:

Hanging with Mr. Simmons :-)

Reply #703938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"When was that Anon? I'll answer for you, never. A quick history lesson on the NBA would reaffirm that."

I'm pretty sure George Mikan, Bob Pettit and Bill Russell weren't spruiking tv deals in their off-season. Wilt and Kareem dabbled in acting, but mainly because of their sheer size, not because they decided that had acting chops (although Kareem stole the show in Airplane!). I can't think of an NBA star that was involved in television during the 70's and 80's, except for Kevin McHale and his Cheers cameos. Maybe this all started with Shaq and Penny in Blue Chips but I'm pretty sure there was 40 years of NBA history before that came on the scene.

But sure, go on, tell when the NBA wasn't about basketball.

Reply #703941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A change in tact. Good tactics as opposed to a change of tack. Slow day indeed.

Reply #703944 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Good question, I wonder why Mikan wasn't out there in the offseason building his brand in Hollywood while his Lakers were drawing SEABL-like crowds and he was earning peanuts.

Reply #703946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably because he never played for LA?

Reply #703948 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Correct, Minneapolis Lakers - your point?

Reply #703952 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Oh, I get it. LA/Hollywood. I was speaking more generally about the "showbiz" capital of the world, at that point in time anyway.

Reply #703953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whilst it seems corny to me now as an adult and I doubt I'll even watch a second of it, I think the kids would love it.

Back in the 90's I loved my favourite players being the face of/involved with activities outside of basketball. Movies like Space Jam, Kazaam, and even Blue Chips. Shaq's crappy rap career, Lil' Penny and Grandmama commercials, and so on.

We're now well in to the 2000s and have to accept that social media and the accessibility and engagement with professional athletes has changed everything entirely.

Next.

Reply #703958 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I'm guessing Kendall Jenner isn't going to appear until Season 8?

Reply #703971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just to clarify the reporting; NBC has made a script order + penalty offer for this. That means they'll pay these guys to flesh out an idea into a script, and the penalty part means they'll pay them some cash if they *don't* go ahead and make the show (that's quite a rare luxury, and no doubt because of who is behind it). They do this with a hundred ideas every year, of which only a few dozen will get to a pilot stage, of which only half a dozen will actually get ordered to series. It's made the news because of the interesting connections (and equally stands a slightly better chance because of that), but this is nowhere near "Ben Simmons is getting a show made".

Reply #704007 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

LeBron moved to Los Angeles to make a show about Ben Simmons.

I think regardless of how great Ben gets on the court, I think with him dating Jenner and LeBron having his back, he'll be in the spotlight for a lot longer than say that Wanker Big Baller Kid himself... I wonder if he feels put out that LeBron likes an opponent more than him

Reply #704010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bit rough having a go at Lonzo because his dads an idiot

Reply #704017 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

FWIW... Mike Levin, co-host of The Rights to Ricky Sanchez (and extremely funny guy) is one of the writers and was one half of the duo that pitched the concept to NBC

Reply #704042 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:25 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754