Anonymous
Years ago

Joey Wright sanctioned

http://nbl.com.au/news/article/joey-wright-sanctioned

What did he do this time??

Topic #43876 | Report this topic

Mervan  
Years ago

Guessing some sort of abuse of an umpire.

I really like Ken Coles comments re his demeanour on Ken's hoopla pod cast

In a nut shell he is a bloody good bloke and could show it on court.

Reply #703968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

News just said abuse of an official not abuse of a referee

Reply #703970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sent an email to the umpires boss

put it in writing

what a moron

Reply #703972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sorry but as a fan Wright's behaviour/attitude towards officials is embarassing.

Love his passion and coaching ability but the club needs to pull him into line.

Sends a terrible message to those at lower levels.

Reply #703973 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Be nice if the refs pulled him into line too occasionally.

How he doesn't get at least one technical a game is beyond me.

Reply #703975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anytime he does, he and Boti spend days complaining about it. For any other team his petulance would be embarrassing. It's par for the course for the Sixers.

Reply #703976 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'll probably cop a bit of shit for this but I have thought a part of the reason for the Ken Cole thing not just for the good PR is I think it could be the new owner trying to make Joey uncomfortable in the hope he walks away from his contract.

It does seem like the new owner is trying to cut payroll now by not re-signing Childress, not adequately replacing Creek, not re-signing Shorter and opting for the obviously cheaper De Leon and the whole brouhaha over the $100K with Creek's contract which obviously wouldn't endear Creek to ever coming back perhaps now he regrets giving Joey that 5 year contract last year and is quietly trying to nudge Joey towards the exit?

Reading that Ken Cole interview on Boti's blog and him saying Joey's a good guy and his job is to try and calm him down and make him a bit more presentable to the public I would think would be pretty offensive to a veteran coach like Joey who's already coached another NBL team to a title and just taken the Sixers to a second GF in his time here coming within a game of winning it all.

I don't know I could be barking up the wrong tree but that interview with Ken Cole did seem quite strange to me.

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/presidents-endorsement-for-king-joey/

Reply #703977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Remember these words, "Respect for the game “

Reply #703978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Be nice if the refs pulled him into line too occasionally.

How he doesn't get at least one technical a game is beyond me.

They would but it's easier not to have to deal with the subsequent false accusations of racism.

Reply #703979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He got ejected at Christmas and everyone went after the ref so why would they

Reply #703981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zodiac is bang on here

No false accusations by anyone. An inconvenient truth for the NBL to admit it had a problem which has since been dealt with.

Don't ask for someone’s opinion if you don’t want the answer

Reply #703982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Further to the above I have a standing bet that Ken will coach the 36ers this season

Reply #703983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

False accusations. Joey didn't hear the alleged comment, the person who did wasn't in the same room, the people in the room denied it, even someone who had a personal dislike to for the alleged abuser.

Reply #703985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wright pushes the envelope and unfortunately the refs often times aren't up to it. The NBL will never admit that.

Reply #703987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#985 I think you are confusing Wright and Hogan from years ago that has nothing to do with this

Reply #703990 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

I would hope that a club who is aiming to contend for a playoff spot recognises it's chances are better with Joey Wright than Ken Cole.

Reply #703997 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Still no apology from the NBL to Sobey for kicking him out in game 3.

Despite getting head butted twice.

How much did the ref get fined for that loss of control?

Reply #703999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey doesnt deserve an apology. He head butted Prather and the refs saw it. Seeya.

Reply #704000 | Report this post

Shayno  
Years ago

He sent the email in june???

No bball been played then, talk about built up anger.

Amother negative 36ers issue, damn they need to have a good look at themselves and their culture

Reply #704001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well their fans are demanding apologies for their own players stupidity so I'd say their culture is just where they want it.

Reply #704002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfortunately it seems that Joey and the sixers have the fans well and truly hoodwinked, so they can't lose.

They get more home-cooking than any other team, and even if they lose, their fans blame the refs, the NBL, LK, anyone except their team and their coach.
Joey's a good recruiter, developer, and coach, but he isn't a closer. He can't win a championship unless he has a vastly superior team, and that's just not going to happen again.
But it doesn't matter, all he has to do is lose his shit and Adelaide fans jump to his defence.

He should have been sacked after last year's fiasco, but instead got a massive new contract.

Reply #704006 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

Ok firstly I hate the 36ers but I love that they have an us vs. them mentality and embrace that hate (who really aims to be everybody's 2nd team) and I can't wait to see them walk into the Jungle and let the rivalry continue and perhaps boil over again.

At the end of the day it boils down to this... there's few things that get a home crowd more excited than seeing an opposition coach get T'd up... its utter adulation and funny and Joey is the master with his antics and theatrics (he'd make a terrific bad guy wrestler) and I really hope the referees cut down on the abuse this season from the coaches and if that means more coaches get tech fouls this season then great, it will be a spectacle watching them on the sidelines trying not to lose their shit for a second time and get ejected and that is one of the aspects that basketball has over other sports where coaches can't interact with referees during the contest.

Reply #704009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He should have been sacked after last years fiasco. Which part was the fiasco? Getting a team that most had finishing bottom 3 to game 5. Getting to game 5 without his best import? Getting to game 5 with Sobey being ejected for being head butted twice? Please enlighten us with more in depth analysis

Reply #704012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His ongoing petulance maybe?

Reply #704013 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

To be fair to Joey, the umpiring at all levels in this country is absolutely abysmal.

Reply #704018 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'll probably cop a bit of shit for this but I have thought a part of the reason for the Ken Cole thing not just for the good PR is I think it could be the new owner trying to make Joey uncomfortable in the hope he walks away from his contract.
Didn't that same owner come in and unnecessarily and significantly upgrade Joey's contract?

My guess would've been the opposite. Joey was about to walk out and Cole is an attempt to provide a buffer between him and ownership, placate him, and keep him around.

Reply #704019 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

We also have KC to work the refs, NBL etc in the media leaving Joey out of it.

Reply #704022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Ken should demand the apology then, FM?

Reply #704023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"My guess would've been the opposite. Joey was about to walk out and Cole is an attempt to provide a buffer between him and ownership, placate him, and keep him around."

Makes more sense.

Reply #704025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He should have been sacked after last years fiasco. Which part was the fiasco? Getting a team that most had finishing bottom 3 to game 5"

Learn how to read a Calender

Reply #704029 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Root cause= really crap refs

Reply #704035 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Reply #704036 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Hopefully the money goes to training some new refs.

Reply #704037 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

No other Coaches in the NBL behave like Joey Wright and yet they have to deal with the same Refs week in and out?
Should Joey get special treatment to appease his ego and sweep his shortcomings as a Coach under the carpet?

Reply #704038 | Report this post

Pop  
Years ago

'No other Coaches in the NBL behave like Joey Wright' - really?

Style/methodology might be a bit different but at base the behaviour is pretty much the same.

And that in turn points to the base issue - the officiating.

That said, I'm all for a return to an approach that has the officials officiate and the coaches coach, and that means telling the coaches from the outset that the officials will not tolerate abuse/challenge or enter into dialogue with them during or immediately after a game.

That will doubtless result in a few techs and rejections, but the message will get through if the stance is maintained. It would also help if the third official isn't positioned adjacent to the team benches so the coaches are tempted to engage, or as I've also seen happen, the official initiates a chat.

And can we please adopt the same approach to the on-court relationship between officials and players?

Players, officials and fans would all be better off, and enjoy the 'game experience' much more, if this approach was adopted and maintained.

Reply #704041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Style/methodology might be a bit different but at base the behaviour is pretty much the same."

Absolutely wrong. No other coach has the runs on the boards for continual petulant displays, ones that go on for much long after games have finished, or in this most recent case, months after the season has finished.

Reply #704043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The fans come to watch the action on court, not the poor behaviour of the coach.

Coaches should be banned from talking to the refs during the game. Any breach should be immediate ejection, a fine and suspension.

Timeouts should be reduced in number and duration.

Less interference from the massive egos prowling the sideline and more emphasis on the talent running around on court. Let the players determine who wins.

Reply #704044 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

Gleeson is worse

Reply #704045 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

People forgot what a debarcle the last Grand final was? Or are we turning a blind eye because A: you don't like Joey Wright and/or 36ers B: you follow Melbourne Utd.?

Reply #704046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Gleeson is worse"

Wright and Gleeson are both as bad as each other during the game, but Gleeson's whining stops once the game is over.

Reply #704047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson should be teched for life.

Reply #704052 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

The reffing is horrible.

But Joey and Gleeson act like petulant children when they don't get there way instead of just getting on with it.

The reffing is something that absolutely needs to be addressed, but I don't think Joey's whining is gonna get that done.

Reply #704053 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Apologies, "When they don't get *their* way"

Reply #704054 | Report this post

Shayno  
Years ago

Now joey saying he hasn't spoke to any official since March.

Plot thickens

Reply #704057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refer to the 4th post of this thread, it's in writing.

Reply #704058 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

He says he hasn't spoken to anyone in person or via phone, nor has he initiated contact.

Given the allegation seems to be that it was an email, and it's perfectly possible to send an email in response to receiving one, that doesn't seem to help his case any. Frankly, the specificity of his denial is suspicious.

Reply #704059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Key word, initiated. He does need say he did not reply to a communication.

Reply #704061 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

funny how gleeson argues with refs but dont know the rule hes arguing about...
..b j anthony kinda my hero....

Reply #704063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only an Idiot would compare Joey to Gleeson.

Gleeson's antics are annoying, but there's a point to them. He knows exactly what he's doing, and very seldom goes too far. The Refs probably wish he would stop, but they do pay attention.
Gleeson's antics are probably worth a couple of close calls per game.

On the other hand, Joey's just seem to be genuine explosions, and very often go too far.
And frankly his constant bleating that everyone who disagrees with him is a racist "cos I are black" is sickening.

Reply #704082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not quite. Gleeson is a pig too not sure why some want to give him a pass.

Reply #704084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

funny how gleeson argues with refs but dont know the rule hes arguing about...

Exactly. He's a dud.

Reply #704085 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Interesting blog on Boti's page in regards to this matter. Seems like the NBL trying to clip Joey's wings.

Reply #704087 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Surprisingly, Boti comes out on the side of the 36ers employee. Who saw that coming?

Reply #704090 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

From Boti's blog:

"Now please, don't dismiss this as some hysterical Adelaide-driven over-reaction and conspiracy theory before reading the facts."

Then proceeds to supply the reader with his conjecture of the transgression which lead to Joey's sanction, and advocates - while simultaneously campaigning the NBL to release the facts - that Joey should be vindicated.

Some conjecture of my own to explain this: Joey was unnecessarily being a dick to Scott Butler or another official, the NBL attempted to resolve this internally, Joey refused to cooperate or escalated the situation, so NBL responded with a sanction.

I do agree that the NBL should have stated exactly what was included in the exchange to avoid speculation, but history would suggest that Joey is probably at fault.

Reply #704091 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

"Unnecessarily being a dick to Butler".
Did you watch the Grand final series? Game 3 was making me think the refs were on the take.

Reply #704109 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

I think Joey is pissed because they obviously didn't hand him the scrip at the start of last season.

Reply #704110 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

The refs aren't on the take. Just awful.

Reply #704111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

here we go ....

Reply #704112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd be very careful on a public forum accusing people of corruption

Reply #704117 | Report this post

Pete  
Years ago

Refs ruined my enjoyment of the NBL long before they f*cked Adelaide over in the GF series with the Sobey bullshit. I enjoy Joey bashing them.

Mature? Nope.
Good for the game? Nope.
But fun.

Reply #704118 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Udog, obviously Joey has ample reason to be pissed off with the refs (at least from his perspective). My point is you can voice your concerns without being a dick. I don't even know this is what Joey did - it just wouldn't surprise me if this were the case.

Reply #704119 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Saying you suspect something isn't an accusation. People seem to justify the Grand final debarcle with the fact that they don't like how Joey acts or they just don't like the 36ers.

Reply #704121 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

So , human beings want to know too much about each other , and that's why there are so many lies .

( I say , b j anthony knew how to control joey , why he picked him up and carried him off the court , one time ago in perth , when joey was reported for striking and wanted to keep going on .)

Reply #704126 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

The poor quality of refereeing in the GF series is not a justification for Joey Wright's public spat with league officials.

As a professional basketball coach I expect Joey to move on from past issues and focus on the coming seasons.

Obviously I don't know the contents of th email whether it ranges from smart @ss remarks or outright personal attacks. My cconcern is more at the team level.

I am concerned that Joey has 3 years left on his 5 year contract and is currently the public enemy (at least on the surface) of NBL officials (especially head of refs). Whilst I am not suggesting the Sixers will get every bad call due to this, it doesn't help to have a poor relationship with the refs.

I am concerned that this is an interruption to pre-season preparation. The Sixers don't need more of this negative press going into the season where they've had much of the bad press in the off season. We've lost out best player and we need everyone to be focused on filling those gaps and getting players prepared to step up.

If Joey has said something in poor taste, then sure punish him. I hope he then takes his lumps and gets on with it. I don't want this to impact what looks to be a difficult season already with loss of Creek, and the reason fo the league making marked improvements whilst we have '2Hard2Guard'

Reply #704146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The refereeing wasn't poor. In all cases it was an over reaction to public and internal feedback.

The NBL and all involved in it need to agree on a style of play. And accept the potential consequences that comes from that style.

Freeflowing basketball comes as a result of teams being coached to play that style AND from referees calling out players who break the rules ensuring that spacing is keep open and the offensive players have free movement.

Unfortunately nearly every coach you ever speak to has a different philosophy for how they want to play offence to how they believe they should be allowed to play defence.

Run and Gun in Offence. Bump and hack and hold and slow the game down in defence is one example.

How do 20 odd referees achieve THAT over 6 months!?

The Grand Final was an example of two teams wanting the game to be played in two very different styles.

Adelaide free flowing with their players allowed to cut and penetrate without physical resistance, while Melbourne wanted to play a slower, structured more physical style.

As a result both teams were frustrated as the referees tried to make both teams happy and in the end over adjusted from Game 1 to Game 2 and so on throughout the entire series. End result everyone was frustrated.

Melbourne won, but if they lost be assured they would have been just as angry and frustrated as Joey and the Adelaide base.

NBL is stuck between styles. And expect the game to just fix itself. Until that is resolved this issue with continue forever.

Reply #704151 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Udog, I'm a 36ers fan and love what Joey has done with the 36ers during his tenure, but anybody who *likes* the way he behaves towards referees has a problem.

Reply #704157 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

I'm glad he highlights their uselessness and I believe the main issues began years ago with terrible communication from all the refs to all the coaches.

Reply #704186 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Correct umpires standards have dropped. Joey simply expresses that frustration. Improve quality of refs. T Joey when overstep for sure but please can someone get refs to be accountable.

Reply #704187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have they? Using what data? If you're going to claim standards have dropped what other than your feelings or reactions to calls do you have to support that?

Reply #704194 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

'there is no scandal in a loud man' shakespeare 12th night

Reply #704710 | Report this post

Zig  
Years ago

I have seen, in many sports, coaches cynically manipulate officials with their complaints and bleating. In most cases there "outbursts" are carefully stage managed.
With Joey I'm not so sure. I think he's a genuinely passionate guy, who sometimes gets carried away.
So I think what he needs is people to watch his back, calm him down when things get heated. Not sure Boti is helping fueling the fire.

Reply #704807 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:39 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754