Anonymous
Years ago

Vukona at odds with NZ ownership

Reports have suggested that Vukona was "at odds" with NZ ownership. Can anyone shed any light on what happened here?

I did find it odd that he and Henare left.

"At odds with the club's new owners, Vukona jumped at the chance to reunite with Lemanis and is confident he can drag the club off the canvas after back-to-back wooden spoons."

Topic #43888 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

The new ownership I assume.

Reply #704329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe Kestleman is an owner there too? ;)

Reply #704360 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

By at odds he probably meant that the new ownership group wasn't willing to fork out a ton of cash for a veteran player on a fast downward trajectory nor build their team around said player.

Reply #704361 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think the fact he and Henare walked suggests they didn't agree with some part of direction the new ownership wanted to go in.

Reply #704371 | Report this post

EssenX  
Years ago

I think if you read about Matt Walsh he believes in going out on top. I think Kirk Penney accepted the message, but Vukona is clinging on.

Regarding Henare, I don't believe the new ownership want the coach to split time between the Tall Blacks and the Breakers.

Reply #704422 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Whilst the old owners had a very local-first, NZ loyal approach, the new owners are obviously more strictly commercial.

A new approach and intent but not necessarily an unreasonable one and not unexpected for overseas based owners to have that view.

Cant blame them for their views on Henare doubling duties.

Hopefully the new approach doesnt hinder continued development through the Academy.

Reply #704519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New owners waiting the coach to do his job is clearly an issue. Local "caring" owners have moved on. Taken the money and left. Now accountability seems to be an issue.

Reply #704531 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think the local caring owners are still local and caring, still owning a share of the club and Paul Blackwell still on the board.

Reply #704533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But no responsibility. They will get out voted.

Reply #704538 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:52 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754