Io70
Years ago

Adelaide Based State Basketball Centre

So obviously many of us have been to the State basketball centre in Melbourne and have been impressed by the facilities. I noted recently that the Vic state government is looking to upgrade this venue shortly as well.

In the last year or so, there has been a number of basketball facilities getting upgraded in Adelaide, from The ARC, to North Adelaide and Woodville's new venues. This is great for basketball in SA, although there is more that needs doing, including Port Adelaide and Marion.

But, I do feel like there is a gap for a more significant venue and wonder if there shouldn't be a push for a State venue. This is a venue that hosts 6 courts and in Adelaide then would become the home for all the NITP camps, trainings and tournaments. It could also be used to house finals for district seasons (rather than the mix of venues currently used - how any finals games can be scheduled at Port Adelaide is beyond me).

The NITP then would be able to have all their athletes and programs under one roof, instead of the mix of Port Adelaide, Pasadena and Magill University. Basketball SA could be run from there, Country SA could have a home in Adelaide and they could host a variety of tournaments etc... If smart I could see a link with a University (similar to what they do at Magill Uni, but with a much bigger facility), where sports science, sport psychology, physiotherapy, podiatry etc... are all included.

Good idea or not required with the new upgraded facilities around Adelaide?

Topic #43898 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

State does not have the population yet.
Victoria has 3 times the population with the highest number of registered basketballers.
What's soon to be available in SA is fine for now.

Reply #704603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So add 3 courts to Wayville which has been planned for 10+ years? Done.

Reply #704609 | Report this post

Years ago

agree with population comment and also with marion and the Port must be next.

Surely west teams will spend a fair bit of time at St Clair though ?

Dont forget Cornerstone as well - lot of young families in mt barker area now.

The people that have made the new stadiums happen are legends and have left a great legacy for our kids.

Keep the game on track and these things will happen.

Reply #704621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heard a rumour teams are bidding to use St Clair and Woodville don't have the cash but West have applied. Doubt it’s true but interesting if it is.

Reply #704622 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Of course a central, multi-court venue is ideal. Virtually nobody will argue against that. It's just not feasible.

Reply #704628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not feasible because there's no money in Adelaide!

Reply #704633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not feasible because the basketball public just want to complain but not do anything.

Make it happen by contacting your Council, your State MP, your Federal MP and demand they invest in basketball infrastructure.

To get money the 1000s that play the game need to make it happen.

Reply #704634 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Where do you propose the stadium be built, 634?

Reply #704636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Arc turned out to be a dud, wonder how many Norwood kids have played there let alone trained.
St Clair will be wasted by woodville, not knocking them but they haven't got the teams to fill it. West have one of the high schools redeveloping as well as the port floor being resurfaced.
The sleeping giant will be north, have enormous number of teams, growing area and will attract kids from Norwood and centrals disillusioned with how they've been run and treated, especially on the girls side.

Reply #704640 | Report this post

Juniors  
Years ago

South is petitioning to build a 7 court stadium just next to the airport. If you want to help out the cause you can by adding your name to the following petition.

https://www.change.org/p/steven-marshall-mp-support-a-new-home-for-basketball-in-sa?

A 7 court stadium would be huge for basketball in this state.

Reply #704643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what's gonna happen to hillcrest? are they just gonna destroy it or whats happening?

Reply #704693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I feel like the SAABL could potentially use hillcrest after lightview gets done up, its a growing high quality league and i feel like just PAC and St Peters wont be able to cut it in the future. Just my two cents

Reply #704821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hillcrest will become another Car Yard.

Reply #704822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That'd be a real shame, to name the court after Jo and then knock it down a couple years later, that'd be a waste

Reply #704824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep Hillcrest, don't build Lightsview.

That's the only way Hillcrest remains. It's a shithole. To suggest it should continue to stay open on a main road on land worth huge money to the council, money which is paying for lightsview is pretty selfish.

Reply #704826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fair call, guess i'm just too caught up in feelings lol

Reply #704828 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:08 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754