hoopie
Years ago

Women's World Cup 2018

I think this deserves its own thread, given it starts soon.

Looking at the Groups
Group A: You would expect that France (ranked 3 in the world) and Canada (5) would go through ahead of Korea (16) and Greece (20), in that order.

Group B: You would expect Australia (4) and Turkey (7) to go through ahead of Argentina (15) and Nigeria (34), in that order.

Group C: You would be certain Spain (2) would top the group but after that it gets interesting. I'd pick Japan (13) to go through ahead of Belgium (28) and Puerto Rico (22), in that order.

Group D: Obviously the US (1) will top the group. Latvia (26) versus China (10) could be interesting - I think Latvia might be tougher and more effective under pressure. I can't see Senegal (17) going through.

I like the way they've done the brackets, with Group winners getting a game off as the 2nd and 3rd in the groups play off. From my expected results

France would play the winner of Japan v China, which I expect to be Japan
Australia would play the winner of Belgium v Latvia, which I expect to be Belgium
Spain would play the winner of Canada v Argentina, which I expect to be Canada
US would play the winner of Korea v Turkey, which I expect to be Korea

Topic #43900 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Turkey over Korea.

Reply #704623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1/4
France v Japan
Australia v tough call between Belgium and Latvia
Spain vs Canada
USA vs Turkey

1/2
France vs Australia
Spain vs USA

Tough call between France and Australia.

Final
USA vs France or Australia.

Whoever loses out of France and Australia comes 4th to Spain. No medal.

Reply #704626 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

If Australia tops the group, then I'd be confident of winning the QF. However, if Turkey beats Australia in the Group phase, then Australia would most likely play Korea in a tough game, followed by a quarter-final game against the US.

We need Liz on the court for most of the game and dominating the key at both ends to get past Turkey. Turkey will be good enough to get under her skin and draw fouls against her. This promises to be such a critical game for us!!

I expect Australia to come 4th at best, 8th at worst.

Reply #704629 | Report this post

Years ago

bre stewart in good form

Reply #704630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Worst than 6th place and the coaching staff should get the sack.

We know the backcourt will be very different in 2 years time and we should be even better.

Reply #704631 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

In a behind closed doors scrimmage, defending FIBA World Cup champions USA have edged the Opals in an unofficial 70-60 hard-fought contest in Tenerife, Spain.

USA edge Opals in final scrimmage before World Cup

Reply #704677 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

griffin's worth more than 10points

Reply #704709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, we look like crap....
Same poor ball movement with each opals team.

Reply #704938 | Report this post

Years ago

Remember whitcomb has just got off the bus - so probably only had ? 1-2 trainings with the team over there. My observation is that the team will get a few more trainings together and will be more fluent - the talent is clearly there just as bit clunky. Purely IMO

Reply #704942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's the same stuff, over and over again.
Give it to Cambage, and on occasion throw the 3 ball up.

Move the dam ball!

Reply #704945 | Report this post

Anton Borovihk  
Years ago

In the group stage, just get the wins. How doesn't matter. But since Liz is our only world class asset, it would be unrealistic for the coaching staff to avoid making her the focal point ffs.

Reply #704962 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Scoring 86 isn't terrible anyway, despite how it looks. However, giving up 68 to Nigeria (ranked 34th in the world) is possibly a bigger concern.

Reply #704963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

that was very ordinary by the opals. that smith needs to take her ego down a notch or two.

Reply #704964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smith?
Think you mean someone else.

Reply #704966 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

I don't mind girls jacking up shots when they’re comfortably ahead, but it could hurt us if % is a factor in deciding placings.

We KNOW the Opals are capable of much better, but that performance says 5th to 8th places.

Reply #704971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The USA only beat Senegal by 20 and that margin took at least until the 3rd qtr to achieve. Afican teams always look like they overperform because they play a very physical and scrambling defence.

We have yet to play a game with a full squad. I think we'll be fine

Reply #704972 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

A win is a win. Better to plat our best as we near the end of the tournament and I feel we can.

What pisses me off is that mainstream media have not covered to Opals (or NBL Blitz for that matter) at all.

TV, print media. Nothing.

I get AFL and NRL have most of the focus ATM, but a meaningless netball tournament is receiving more coverage than the Opals right now.

Reply #704980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah,
It sucks that no one is covering it. Poor form.

Same goes for socceroos youth WC qualification yesterday. No media coverage at all.

Reply #704981 | Report this post

Ironic  
Years ago

Reasonable coverage in The Age

Reply #704986 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

That's because Roy Ward covers basketball for The Age. Without him, there would be no coverage there either.

Reply #704989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Smith?
Think you mean someone else."

no I meant Smith

Reply #705009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what did smith do?

Reply #705011 | Report this post

Years ago

a lot of people underestimated / under rated Nigeria - they were playing hard to win - don't be surprised if they win a game or two if they play like that again.

Reply #705045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think anyone underestimated Nigeria. We were just terrible...
We will get better as a team, but our backcourt is just awful.

Whitcomb showed more than the other guards and should start with ebzery.

Will be interesting with the next opals gathering after the WC.
Hopefully some new pgs and Wallace and tolo to come back from injury.

Reply #705048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People are putting a lot of faith in Wallace based on being a very good college player. Getting it done there and stepping straight into a PG role at Opals level is a big call. Might want to wait and see what she can do in the WNBL first

Reply #705053 | Report this post

Years ago

they are going to have to play tough all tournament. Replays showed some big hits / physical moves.

Reply #705062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Backcourt...

Conti, Mangakahia PG
Wallace CG
Whitcomb, Ebzery SG

Madgen cut. Mitchell done

If Clydesdale or Lavey can somehow miraculously improve offensively, then it could be them. Hasn't happened yet.

I've got more faith in our youth than most.

Tolo also in for bunton.
George's lack of mobility may see her also get cut.
Blicavs would need to have a stellar season to get a sf spot over Allen Talbot, ohea.

Reply #705066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cayla George is below average, barely puts in any effort, Smith and Magbegor need a lot of her minutes later on in the tournament.

Reply #705076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So much faith that you're sticking with 'anonymous' as your name

Reply #705077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

takes time for people to jump on board it seems...

Reply #705083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a game between Japan and Belgium.

Looks like we will play Belgium in the 1/4s. Going to be a very tought contest.

Reply #705092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, George too slow for this level and doesn't get enough time to shoot it from the perimeter.

Aokuso will have her number in 2 years time.

Reply #705093 | Report this post

Years ago

IMO they are really letting it play so far and it will be survival of the toughest. Players are really going to have to be tough enough enough to take some counter punches otherwise they will get walked over.

Reply #705097 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The Opals were clear right from the outset; get the ball to Liz Cambage and it paid dividends. The 6'8 superstar centre scored a game-high 24 points on 9-of-12 shooting with 6 rebounds in just 17 minutes, and with the result never in doubt, allowing head coach Sandy Brondello the luxury to rest the Opals centerpiece.

Cambage and Whitcomb lead Opals to big win over Argentina

Reply #705102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cabbage will hit the wall when she comes up against another quality big. There is no second option in the offence , going to be a short tournament which is going to raise a lot of questions about the future direction of program especially in the guards.

Reply #705107 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

^agree Cambage doesn't cope with pressure , let alone pressure from a half decent opponent

Terrible offences, if you can even call them that, Whitcomb too busy playing for herself , Madgen shouldn’t be there, Steph Blicavs was a far better choice , no good only working on giving it to Cambage because when they shut her down, which they will do what then

Most boring style of women’s basketball , nothing to get excited over that’s for sure , thought Brondello would be a good coach but so far she’s very underwhelming, hope it improves with more of a challenge but Nigeria certainly pushed them and nothing really changed with last nights opposition and they were well below par

Reply #705119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how much quicker was the tempo when Cambage wasn't on the floor and when it was Ezi and smith in the post.

Cambage is 27y.o currently. I'm not sure she will go beyond the Olympics by choice.
I personally think she'll retire at 29 and not go through another WC(31y.o) or Olympic cycle(33y.o). Without her, we are in big trouble. We have to complete change our game plan and a lot of the roster.

Seebohm is the better 'team' orientated coach imo. He will not just pick names off a list. He would be my choice of coach after the Olympics.

Reply #705127 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

@Anon why would Liz retire early? To go and DJ or produce an album with Briggsy?

Liz is at her max earning capacity for the next 4-5 years so why would she be retiring at 29/30?

It takes alot of cash to be a social justice warrior because it doesn't pay well unless of course the ABC come calling but not sure Liz has the mental chops to be on a Q&A style program.

Reply #705129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Avg pts per minutes played. Pretty shocking...

Cambage 29 in 23 mins
Bunton 3 in 9 mins
George 3 in 20 mins
Magbegor 11 in 15 mins
Smith 8 in 14 mins
Allen 7 in 20 mins
Talbot 4 in 23 mins
Ohea 0 in 0 mins
Madgen 5 in 19 mins
Whitcomb 12 in 21 mins
Ebzery 3 in 21 mins
Lavey 0 in 15 mins

Starting 5 without Cambage is contributing 17 points in 84 minutes of gametime.
(1 point every 5 minutes)

Reply #705131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so many passive personalities on the team. Hopefully some of them can step up to the fight.

How many of the players make other players around them better.

The points guards - omg. flat out getting up the court, let alone creating plays.

When Tess Madgen is running the point it is pretty obvious there are serious issues.

Nigeria beating Turkey is handy as it means the Opals have about 12 points up their sleeves against Turkey.

It is probably one of the most open world cup/championships ever.

Reply #705138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't believe people are complaining about a system that is working. They've won both games.

Nigeria also beat Turkey the last team in our Pool. Did people complain when MJ took all the shots? When Wilt did?

The system is designed to work with the best options they have to score. To date no one can stop Cambage and probably the only one who can is Cambage. But while its successful why not go to it, as her WNBL and WNBA team have done before the Opals.

Ridiculous the level of whinging going on here.

Reply #705146 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Getting wins early is important, and so is preparing for the tougher games. It would be nice to see a little more variation in the offence at this point, because there will probably come a game where they need a plan B. Still can't complain about two wins with the squad we have. It's a bit like the worlds four years ago, not expecting much but hoping for a medal. Looking around the other contenders, I think we are a chance for the podium but it's hard to say until we are tested.

Reply #705148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually why give away Plan B to those teams scouting? None of us know what Plan B or C are, they would be running through them behind closed doors.

I think doing what they're doing now is exactly what they should be.

Reply #705149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

we have played very poorly in 2 winning games. If we don't improve by the 1/4s, we will lose. Simple...

Belgium most likely and they look much more cohesive than us. More tenacity on offense and defense and if we don't do well in the backcourt, were likely to get beaten.

Reply #705150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is the best side bar Madgen and Lavey we could have put together with the injuries we had.

Even with this team, anything less than 6th is a failure.
We know that USA, Spain, France, Canada and Japan are good teams. We shouldn't be losing to any other team with the depth that we have.

Reply #705153 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Actually why give away Plan B to those teams scouting?"

If only you could just roll out different ways of playing against the world's best teams, but that's very tough to do, especially when they've played so little together as a unit.

Reply #705156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Talbot and George need to be swapped out for Whitcomb and 1 of smith or magbegor.

Reply #705157 | Report this post

ferdterguson  
Years ago

Always a lot of negativity each time the Opals take the court.

Winning a medal can often come down to shooting/playing well in the cross over game or a few calls/plays going for or against you (Mens team in Rio).

Its a tough business to be in when performance comes down to form/injuries/luck over a 2 week period every 2 years.

Reply #705165 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Right now, Cambage is the most dominant player in the world. You play to your strengths.

When Cambage rests, it is obvious we will be looking to run. Magbegor and Smith run the floor well, as do Allen and George. All have shown they can score points throughout the limited preparation, and Whitcomb looks like our most dangerous scorer in our back court.

If we take carer of business against Turkey as we should, then we gain direct qualification for the quarterfinals and are just 1 win away from the medal rounds.

The USA have not been beating anyone up just yet, and overall it looks like one of the closest World Cup's on record.

Reply #705170 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

for me , it aint the same with my girlfriend out ... griifin ...
...still some are big smith lovers..

Reply #705174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Cabbage will hit the wall when she comes up against another quality big. "

"^agree Cambage doesn't cope with pressure , let alone pressure from a half decent opponent"

^^ yes agree also. Cambage was top scorer in the best league in the world but she can't play basketball for shit especially against good opponents.

Reply #705178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Got to worry about griffins continuous injuries.
If you take her, you push out a much needed guard.

I'd prefer to look to the future. I'm happy with smith and magbegors development.
I'm also hoping george is on the way out.
Watching aokuso in the qbl for Logan, She looks to be apart of the opals sooner rather than later ahead of others who are undersized.
Can play both pf and c which makes her more versatile than the other youth prospects like Garbin or a.froling.

Her qbl highlights are pretty impressive and she is excelling in preseason testing for the Fire. Has much more mobility, athleticism and defensive capability than George.
Will be interesting to see how she goes this season with alot more minutes.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/7412323/5b6494efbd6aae0fa4916fd3

Reply #705181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All I can say is no wonder Netball gets more coverage than Basketball. Everything I read about netball is positive. When they are at any competition no matter the result they pump their teams up. All I have read here is crtiticsm and negativity about a team that has just one two games at a World Cup. Why would would I jump on board and throw my support behind basketball after reading this. If you want the sport to grow and you younger players aspire to play why not support our national teams rather than being negative. Glass half full sometimes is better than glass half empty

Reply #705190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go to the netball forums and you'll see just as much criticism about tactics and roster choices.

it happens with any team at the highest level.

Reply #705193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's easy to be positive in the netball sphere when you are always champions or second as there is no depth in competition. Deluded fools being a big fish in the shallowest of ponds.

Reply #705195 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

190, reading a few critical posts on a forum does not qualify as evidence behind basketball's lack of media coverage. Trolls aside, we all want the Opals to do well and basketball's profile to grow - this is why we voice our concerns.

Reply #705197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball participation in this country is growing rapidly while netball is plateauing.

In a short amount of time netball will struggle against the other codes like aflw, nplw and w league.

Reply #705198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nrlw..

Reply #705199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With fox footy, fox league, fox cricket..

It is only a matter of time before they have fox hoops. Every nbl, wnbl game live. Every international, perhaps some nba, wnba and euroleague.

Reply #705200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

College ncaa too.

Reply #705201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doubt it. Those specific channels are only for local sports. They are xenophobic to world games like football and basketball.

Reply #705202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On that note with whole channels being wasted now on sports with not enough content how much of a giant useless turd are the Fox Sports channels in the sports package. Thankfully there are multiple ESPN and beIN channels.

Reply #705203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also their 4K launch is just cricket (yawn) and Bathurst. lmao, more wastage.

Reply #705204 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Ugh

Reply #705209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luuuc must be hating the fact Brondello is starting Talbot and Allen on the wings after ridiculing the concept of big guards for so long. Maybe it was Sandy posting those lineups on here :)

Reply #705213 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

In Turkey, Jarry and Taylor on the wings gave a long defensive presence, it was a small but costly change to alter that dynamic of long wings in Rio. Against teams that execute on-balls well having length to both defend that and also length in the passing lanes and rotation spots is pretty handy.

Reply #705216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Couldn't agree more but Luuuc seems to have a fixation with needing a second ball handler playing off the ball and has ridiculed the idea of playing big wings. Strangely, he has also advocated for Steph Blicavs to play at SG in the past and her ball handling would be part of the reason she's not in Spain right now. Rightly or wrongly, it appears Sandy Brondello disagrees and you'd expect to see Jenna O'Hea slide in there soon as well.

Reply #705218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

trouble with our wings at the moment is that they can't dribble drive.
Taylor and jarry were known for getting to the cup or breaking down defenses.
Defense has gotten a lot better in the women's game in the last 4 years though. Not as many open lanes.
Allen is primarily a 3 point shooter and Talbot a defensive specialist, hustler.
Don't really have any Taylor type wings coming through the ranks unfortunately.

We have Allen, Talbot and Blicavs and maybe on occasion kunek for the next few years yet.

Horvat in 4 or so years looks the closest wing to penny.

Reply #705220 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I've got nothing against big wings. Some international standard ball handling would be nice though. But with no Mitchell and no Mansfield we've got to make the best of what we've got. If opponnets don't put our gaurds to the test then maybe we're even able to avoid the weakness and exploit the strengths of it.
I've got nbo issues with what Sandy is doing so far, but let's not pretend these preliminary opponents are great tests either.

Reply #705222 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Good point re penetrators, but still our smaller guards aren't great at that either so like the idea of having longer athletes out there. I guess where Luuuc is coming from is we're not strong at PG at all, so a secondary ball-handler isn't a bad option. It's all about having the right line-up for the right moment of the game and each particular opponent I suppose.

Reply #705223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2 pgs on the floor is were it's headed.

Seebohm had 2 of Heal, Scanlon, Palmer, Amoore on all the time.

Size is the problem when you have to switch on defense. That's why big guards like Talbot and Allen come in handy at 6'2. The downside to that is that the ball doesn't move freely on offense. Tempo usually slowed too because they aren't as quick in transition.

Reply #705224 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Good to have some quality discussion and analysis for a change!

Reply #705234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It sure is compared to posts where people purely press send to promote clicks to their website.

Reply #705317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

George is such a liability. Really need to go with Alanna or Ezi.

Reply #705326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wow one of the best quarters the Opals have ever played.

That is ever.........

Reply #705328 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

Has someone got a link to watch the game vs Turkey?

Reply #705332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

youtube fiba channel if you have a proxy

Reply #705333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can watch live on fox sports but you have to pay subscription

Reply #705334 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Decent half from Liz :-)

Reply #705335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was certainly a better performance than the other two games, but it helped that Turkey didn't play defence for best part of that game.
As the commentators openly said, if Cambage gets rattled and looses it, they will be in struggletown .

What’s up with O’Hea? Still a no show

Reply #705365 | Report this post

finals995  
Years ago

I certainly didn't expect to be seeing Spain & France have to go through qualification games to get to the Quarters.

Reply #705374 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Classic Spanish tanking to avoid the USA

Reply #705376 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Wow! Some of that game was awesome! Good enough to make the GF against the US if we can keep it up.

I have to admit that Liz is looking an excellent all-round player. As long as she stays focussed and doesn't lose it.

Reply #705377 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

And I'm with Luuuc - so predictable I should have laid money on it.

Reply #705379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Quite a few "upsets", Hoopie's predictions were way off with just 3 of 16 teams finishing in the predicted positions (AUS, USA and PUR). Certainly raises the question of possible tanking. Spain went into their game with a +15 advantage over Belgium (+13 from win over Japan V -2 for Belgium). That meant Japan was -11 (and staying there) and an 8 point Belgium win would see Belgium finish first and Spain second meaning a quarter final against winner of France V Canada and a semi against us and not USA which is now Belgium's possible fate. Low and behold Spain lose by 9 points! Then France completely collapse in the second half against Canada (perhaps now realising the winner will now have Spain as a QF opponent as the Spain game started 30 minutes prior). Did they think they are better off playing Belgium in QF and then dealing with USA in a semi? I wonder how difficult it would be to draw the crossovers out of a hat after completion of group games? Would put an end to the practice of tanking to get the more favourable matchup one would think.

Reply #705380 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Looking forward to the strong public comments from FIBA and their subsequent investigation into these European teams tanking for advantageous positions ;-)

Reply #705390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe if they had Lemanis coaching who had NFI how to tank. #n00b

Reply #705391 | Report this post

finals995  
Years ago

Spain 'tanking' in front of their fiercely proud home fans?! Hmmm maybe, but it's not like they're the Phoenix Mercury! ;>)

Reply #705392 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Yep, I was wrong on a lot of those. I'm pleased that the African countries won at this tournament (at last).

The idea of selecting cross-overs randomly is good, but you’d still need some element of seeding or pools to make sure 1 could play 2 in the GF. The spectators wouldn’t like it though - how would you know when to book for?

Reply #705393 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

These games are all on the Canary Islands. Can't imagine too much local presence compared to if it was on mainland.

Bit like if we tried to host something on Norfolk Island.

Reply #705396 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Well done to our women though on getting through the group stage playing relatively well. Sets up a challenge against Asian opponents then either Spain or Canada which will be no easy feat, but there's a path to the final now. All in their hands.

Reply #705397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe some sort of seeding but then you could argue the whole issue arose because the crossovers were not "seeded" with USA (1) drawn to meet Spain (2) in a semi had Spain topped their group. As for not knowing where to book well that is the case anyway as I am sure a few Spanish fans have tickets for C1 V A2/B3 (although no doubt there a few savvy ones who would have realised what their team would do). Relying on world rankings may not be the best to do seeding anyway, Belgium are ranked 28, 6 places below Puerto Rico, but spanked them by 50 and ran Japan (13) to OT. Let teams earn their "seeding" by performing in the group stage and let the cards fall as they may in terms of 1-4 and so on. Do a draw 15 minutes after last group game. Currently there must be spectators booking for the "wrong" game with teams tanking and I am sure in today's digital world there must be some way of allowing trading/swapping of tickets, especially if you register as a fan of a particular team.

Reply #705399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Canary Islands population 2 million,
Tenerife 900,000.
Norfolk Island 1750.
South Australia population 1.6 million.

Reply #705401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I watched the games. Didn't see any tanking.

Belgium earnt the win and I'm glad they didn't finish 3rd in the group because we would have lost in the 1/4s.
Japan are a much easier opponent to beat without a legit post player. We've got to defend the perimeter well though.
China match us in size but haven't looked that good except for one game.

1/4s look like

Spain vs Canada (Canada)
Japan vs Australia (Australia)

Belgium vs France (Belgium)
USA vs Nigeria (USA)

Semis imo will be
Canada vs Australia
USA vs Belgium

Reply #705422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow Aus nice draw.

Wow just wow at the Canary Islands comment. Wow.

Reply #705433 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yep, can't complain about the Opals' path though

After a few years of unfulfilled potential I think Canada turned the corner at half time vs France last night. They're dangerous and now they know it.

Reply #705466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Canada will be number 2 in the next few years. Too much young talent coming through.

Reply #705468 | Report this post

Todd  
Years ago

Did the Spanish tank?

Reply #705471 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

It's easy to engineer a loss, which I’m confident Spain did to lose by almost the exact margin required.

Miss a few shots, give away a few rebounds, give up chasing the ball a little earlier, throw away a few passes, go over screens instead of switching, ...

Reply #705472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They were like 18 points down in the final qtr.
Tank it to 9 points? To make it seem close?
Not so sure...

Reply #705473 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

"Maybe if they had Lemanis coaching who had NFI how to tank. #n00b"

What are you talking about? Lemanis tanked perfectly and put us in the best position for success avoiding the USA at the 2014 World Cup. We just happened to get beat by a good Turkish team down the stretch in the next game.

Reply #705474 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Could have been a little less obvious I suppose!

Reply #705475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If brondello plays George at pf against Japan...

Reply #705479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

... she will dominate with her strength and ferocity and array of post moves!

Reply #705481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or get beaten time and time again from her lack of mobility.

Reply #705483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not having tokashiki really hurt Japan.

China vs australia 1/4s...

Reply #705489 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Australia ***should*** easily handle China.

Reply #705490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smacked em in pre tournament.

Reply #705492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get past China, play solid vs Canada and Cambage to have the fame of her life vs. USA? The problem is you can't rely on her but what if just one time?

Reply #705501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

game*

Reply #705502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pissed that they didn't swap the tipoff times of the USA game and the Opals game. It wold have made them much friendlier for audiences in Oz, China and USA and no worse for Nigeria fans. Weak sauce. Very weak sauce.

Reply #705646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would love to see Ebzery be more of a threat off the pnr

Reply #705713 | Report this post

Years ago

Nigeria jumped the USA but then they buckled down

Reply #705715 | Report this post

Years ago

kayla alexander hurt her knee for canada - also lightning recruit

Reply #705716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like were making the semis.

Hate to say this this but I prefer Lavey handling th ball over Madgen.

Reply #705717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Asia is hopeless at basketball.

Reply #705718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cam-biege

Reply #705719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australia is from the Asian region...

Reply #705723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, Oceania.

Reply #705724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In basketball, it's from both.

Reply #705726 | Report this post

finals995  
Years ago

This Canada v Spain game is a real arm-wrestle.

Reply #705730 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Not anymore though. Quite the 4th Q choke.

Opals v Spain.
You never really want to meet the hosts at home.

Reply #705732 | Report this post

finals995  
Years ago

at least it was until the last quarter.

Reply #705733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spain move the ball so well.
I wonder if Talbot is available.

Reply #705736 | Report this post

finals995  
Years ago

Spain look a more difficult opponent whenever Ouvina and Casas are on court. I think the Opals bigs might prove to be a handful for their Spanish counterparts to deal with.

Reply #705738 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

when the Opals won the World Cup, they beat hosts Brazil in the semi-finals...
#justsaying

Reply #705740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They also had another team conveniently dispose of the USA for them in the other semi. Belgium looked pretty potent in that first half.
#alsojustsaying

Reply #705757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Spain move the ball so well.
I wonder if Talbot is available."

Yes it was great to see Jenna back in action but would be really rotten luck if Talbot was unable to continue. Fingers crossed!!!

Reply #705760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Need talbots defense, that's for sure. Allen has been better than expected on both ends.
Ebzery, Madgen havent been great on D. Can do much better and Lavey should be backup over Madgen if she can't contribute offensively.

Reply #705763 | Report this post

finals995  
Years ago

Madgen's pace hasn't got better since the knee injury but it's her decision making that puts her above Lavey. That, and the fact that somewhere along the line, Lavey seems to have forgotten about dribble penetration. Just my 2 cents worth.

Reply #705780 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I'm reading BA web site and this comes up " Jenna made a triumphant debut".
Yeah right! Hasn’t she been an assest?

Which idiot takes an injured player into a World Championship.

Reply #705788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

fimals995,

Madgen is not Breaking down the defense either.

It's unfortunate that all our young guards are getting taught this way.
Lavey, Clydesdale, Conti all with serious pace have all gone away from what they use to be good at before entering the wnbl. Coaches are really killing us.
The only one that promotes penetration is Seebohm and he's not a current wnbl coach.

Reply #705790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

''Which idiot takes an injured player into a World Championship.''

in fairness having an OHea who cant play the prelim games is still probably more valuable than anyone else who they could have brought in instead

Reply #705791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

this squad is better than it would have been with Mitchell and Mansfield imo.
Think we had better options for Lavey and Madgen though.

Reply #705792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's good that Australia has a woman’s coach that understands how they play and Lauren sherf would have been a great addition!

Reply #705796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon is a poop and a grump but Australia is doing fine!

Reply #705797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scherf is.4th in line centre option.

Cambage, Tolo, Bunton, Scherf...

Reply #705798 | Report this post

finals995  
Years ago

So I'm the pinyatta?

Yes it's true that Madge isn't breaking down defences. And it's also true that Jenna's injury isn't optimal. But it's also not encouraging to see Katie with a knee strapped either. But we're not the only team evolving in real time during the examination. France, Spain, US, none remain immune to change.

The tournament has been a testament to change. Nigeria and Senegal; the nadir of South American challenge; the brilliant Belgians and the astonishing potential of Canada. Rock solid US and a rejuvenated Opals - so far its been a great World Cup.

Reply #705800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Credit where it is due to Coach Brondello. I wasn't sure about her but I think she is the real deal. She has the players on the same page far better than any other recent Opals coach and she is also very knowledgeable about our international opponents.

Reply #705806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Certainly a way better choice than Joyce.
Was never a fan of Stirling, maher or Graf either.
Hoping Seebohm gets the gig after the Olympics if brondello chooses not to continue.

Reply #705808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Omg please get Madgen off.

Reply #705811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not one coach giving Liz a talking too trying to settle her bs.

Reply #705812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

liz melt down lets spain back into the game, gets the crowd involved and the opals falling apart

Reply #705813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

crazy coaching by sandy and co.

Reply #705814 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Dang it's loud in here. Didn't take long for the locals to "warm" to Liz!

Reply #705815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Madgen should not be getting minutes. Should not be on the team.
Only her familiarity with sandy during her time time with Phoenix hasn't gotten her a roster spot.

Reply #705816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lavey should be backing up KRE not Madgen.

could you imagine Liz playing in the Euroleague and stirring up the home crowds.

Her antics are beyond stupidity but probably not too many people surprised.

Reply #705817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smith showing her lack of exp too.

Reply #705818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Got to give credit to Talbot and Allen. Putting in a lot of work.

Guard situation and ca,badge hanging out on the perimeter is killing us.

Reply #705819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

team sorely missing a penetrate and create type player to break down Spain's defence now. Well, as someone said above, Australia don't produce them

Reply #705820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We do actually, but brondello is the coach. She doesn't look at college players.
Wallaces injury is a huge loss.

Reply #705821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think this game shows that sandy is not the coach we were all hoping for.

Reply #705822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Laughable defense. At the end of the third.

Reply #705823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pity Batkovic isn't on the team. could have done with another solid post option as well as someone who could tell someone else it is not all about her.

Reply #705824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tech foul. Liz wtf

Reply #705825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Post players bringing the ball up...

Reply #705826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sandy please give the Olympic job to someone else and get rid of chambers, Goriss and Lucas.

Reply #705827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cmon fox sports...

Reply #705828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heart attack anyone?

The curse of the last qtr for Spain.

Reply #705829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That win must really irritate a lot of posters on this thread, who wish the national team would fail so they have more ammunition to post about.

Reply #705830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

jenna ohea was amazing in that last quarter.

Reply #705831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not all black and white.
Winning doesn't mean you can't make changes to improve the team.

Reply #705832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who thinks Lavey should of got Madgen s minutes?

Reply #705833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only person who would play Lavey in that game was Joyce. Our injuries in the guard spots haven't been helpful, but Sandy has pulled something special out of the group she has. So glad they get a medal after the Rio debacle

Reply #705834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Opals with Katie-Rae on court 28 minutes +25
Opals with Tess Madgen on the court 12 minutes -19

Reply #705835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lavey has looked much more comfortable with the ball in hand than Madgen in every game so far.

Reply #705836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

press conference
http://www.fiba.basketball/womensbasketballworldcup/2018/videos/%F0%9F%94%B4-LIVE-Press-Conference-Spain-v-Australia-Semi-Final

Reply #705837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Magden is not a point guard.. she was a 2 guard up until 4 years ago when she was asked to be a 1. WHY? I have no clue. I remember her first year at boomers when she switched to the 1 . They had Smart and Cole coming off the bench. It was tragic. Her scoring dropped off and their offense was just as bad. Happened this year too with O'hea. It wasn’t as bad because they had Liz.

Reply #705838 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Well that ended up better than expected.

Reply #705839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After what Wilson did in seabl and hurst in the qbl. Couldn't even get a look in at pg...
And the rest of the 20 girl roster had no other pgs in it.

If not a veteran than give some quality youth pgs a shot. Just need to give them a chance.
Has to be at least 4-5 under 25y.o that are not even getting a chance to play against the current crop.

Reply #705842 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Have yet to watch the game , but reading above comments sounds like their asset in having Cambage is also their weakness , she may well score double figures every game, but she is a huge liability as well because of her bad attitude

Reply #705843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Without her, we probably don't make the top 8 though.
When she decides to leave the game, we are going to really struggle.
The next 2 in are Bunton and Scherf at that position. Tolo would have retired too.

Reply #705844 | Report this post

finals995  
Years ago

Congrats to the Opals, it's been a long hard journey back.

Reply #705847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't like Madgen at the point either, but seriously stop calling for the entire coaching staff's head everytime we have a bad patch on the court. You don't know any of the ins and outs of what they're doing, none of us do. They were nothing short of spectacular in the two games prior to this morning, now it's finals and finals get ugly. Also, stop making out like seebolm is the messiah, if you knew anyone who'd played under him at Aus level you'd know that's not the case. Current staff have got us back to the Gold medal game, let's support them

Reply #705850 | Report this post

Chewie  
Years ago

Some posters on here really are laughable. For all her faults, Liz destroyed Spain's front court in this game. Simply an outstanding game. Huge comeback from 3/4 time when the home crowd were into it. Spain threw everything at her and were all over her on cross screens, and milked 2 crap calls. It's going to be interesting watching her against the US front line, and I'm hoping we show a few new options in sets to free up shooters. Great effort to get to the GF.

Reply #705851 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Damn that was fun.
The change in the crowd's opinion of Liz over the course of that game was cool to witness. That was a serious cauldron in there. Great stuff by the Opals to reverse a very strong tide and get the job done.
And I dare say that most of the fans who were jeering Liz intensely tonight will be cheering for her tomorrow in the final.
Feels good to be top 2 again :D

Reply #705852 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Nice win to wake up to after crashing in the third quarter when Spain came back and were leading. Well done Opals!

Reply #705853 | Report this post

Weeza  
Years ago

Wow everyone bashing Liz during the game just kept quite after the win. :)

Reply #705945 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Any "talent" Cambage has is lost because of her attitude, her taunting the crowd, rolling the eyes and profanity on the bench is embarrassing and costly

Reply #705960 | Report this post

Todd  
Years ago

Weeza,

Can you say that Cambage is the best player in the world but her attitude and behaviour is just embarrassing.

Her game is something else, but her chip on her shoulder makes hard to like her.

Reply #705961 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Australia were playing the FIBA World ranked Number 2 team, the reigning Silver Medalist from Rio and the current European Champion in their home country in front of a massive home crowd. They came back from 8 points down in the last quarter to win by 6 points. Is Cambage perfect - NO but every other team in the world would love to have her play for them. The Opals are in the Gold Medal game after finishing 5th at Rio. Cambage yet again was the top scorer and game MVP. How about looking at the positives that this Team and Coaching Staff have done so far in this Tournament instead of the incessant "tall poppy" whinging and sniping that goes on after every game.

I will be supporting the Opals in the Gold Medal Game and hoping for a win.

Reply #705969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ushiro, well said.

Reply #705970 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

LOL at fans trying to insist Cambage can't play...she is a one in a million talent. Just admit you were WRONG and that she is dominant.

Reply #705973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best centre in the world for sure.
she won us the game with her skill and almost lost it for us with her attitude.

It's amazing that we've made the gold medal game and I'm proud of the girls for getting us this far, but I can also see that there are some roster choices and coaching decisions that need to be addressed before Tokyo.

Hoping they go all the way. Go Opals!!

Reply #705980 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Have to agree with Ushiro. Lots of positives to take from the game and Cambage is playing like an MVP. Maybe she's not someone you'd want to have a drink with but if she manages to win this for us she shouldn't have to pay for drinks ever again.

Reply #705981 | Report this post

The best  
Years ago

I have to agree that Liz is the best player in the world, by a long way.
I'm still trying to come to grips with what is Jenna doing there. Just don’t see her contributing.
You can’t reply on her past performance, should have taken a fit player.

Reply #705986 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Can any of the ref types on here point out where in the rulebook it says anything Cambage did towards the crowd constitutes a tech? How is it different than what players on the home bench were doing to exhort the crowd to lift and cheer for them?

That being said, as the refs have appeared to decide it wasn't on and warned her to stop, she is the dumbest human and most selfish player to continue to make it all about her and hurt her team. She's just lucky her size enabled her to help grab the win or she'd be getting crucified.

Reply #705987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Avg minutes..

Cambage 23
Talbot 23
Allen 23
Ebzery 22
George 21
Whitcomb 20
Madgen 17
Ohea 16
Smith 14
Magbegor 13
Lavey 13
Bunton 12

Reply #705988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cambage to show she is truly elite by leading us to gold and cutting by the immaturity. But I fear she is too dumb to realise how big this is now...

Reply #705992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cutting out*

Reply #705993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She was told 5 times to stop taunting the crowd. Ended up getting the tech.

What got me was that the coaches just let her act like that.
Watch the replay when she goes to the bench during that heated period.
Starts to yell profanitys at the ref while they go past while chambers, Goriss and Lucas just sit there.

In that situation, an assistant coach or another team leader should stand right in front of her to settle them or distract her.

Reply #705994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weak coaching, pathetic really.

Reply #705995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not sure any of the previous 5 opals coaches would have said anything to her except for maybe maher.

Reply #705998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The crowd taunting thing is ridiculous. There is worse in the NBL. The only reason it's a FIBA rule is that some (European particularly) countries/cities can't control their crowds during Euro league/cup and Euro basket matches. Think about the sheds that some Euro teams have over their benches.

Reply #706000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3 very timid assistant coaches. Need at least one who can give them a stern talking too.

Reply #706013 | Report this post

ferdterguson  
Years ago

Liz plays on emotion. Similar to Draymond Green, you need to take the good with the bad.

I'm not sure if you realise how ridiculous a lot of the posts here sound criticising Liz, the coaching staff and the rest of the team after what they've achieved and after how well Liz has played.

If they beat the USA tomorrow, Liz wins MVP of the tournament will you still find things to complain about? Reading through above, it sounds like it.

Reply #706022 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I'm not sure if you realise how ridiculous a lot of the posts here sound
Yeah, there's one in here that refers to Cambage by her first name, four different times, utterly refusing to even use a pronoun.

Can any of the ref types on here point out where in the rulebook it says anything Cambage did towards the crowd constitutes a tech?

Reply #706026 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Thanks Kobe. I guess it's the refs opinion whether her gestures were offensive or inciteful. Again, as they warned her about it she needed to stop

Reply #706029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even more glad that we beat Spain after watching Palau's interview where she referred to the wnbl as a low league, and not an elite competition. Hmm, salty much that you didn't perform down here sista?

Reply #706035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it is fine that liz plays on emotion, however the opposition play on emotion too. so what she did was inspire the home team the home crowd. Then in the process she helped some of her team mates get rattled, they barely made a shot after her antics. Does she make her team mates better when she starts to stir things up?

yes she is the best player in the world right now. much fitter than she was before and it really shows.

However because of her history everyone knows that the only way to stop her is to get her head out of the game, get her to foul out by whatever means. So it means that she is going to get hit, pushed, cheap shots taken against her, defenders flopping.

It was certainly a game for the history books.

Liz playing on emotion got her ejected from the comm games gold medal game.

The opals team dancing around on the other teams home court after the game wasn't the best look either. Which the commentators mentioned.

you stay classy Australia

The Opals mantra for at least 20 years was poise, play with poise.

Hopefully more history created tomorrow.

Reply #706036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would you release bunton from the squad when tolo is healthy or keep both and take out one of george, smith or Magbegor?

Reply #706039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would a male player get teched up for what Liz did, or applauded for their passion? The crowd was loving having a villain, and so was she.

Reply #706040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was a little like the phillipino team taking selfies in the men's match.
We have a side with great skill but also a lot of girls with huge egos and immaturity.
Snowball effect too. Seems to be contagious.

Reply #706041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

a male player would have got Teched and possible hit with a cheap shot by a home team player (or in the case of a certain country security guards)

Liz was also dropping plenty of swear words in there too directed at the crowd.

Reply #706042 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Cambage doesn't play on emotion lol , she plays on ego and thinks she should be exempt from all the rules that apply to
everyone else and when refs don’t agree with her thinking that’s when she lets herself , her team mates and her country down

Her childish behaviour simply belittles anything she brings to the team
Very selfish attitude, and the coaches are too scared to upset this Prima Donna it seems , they need to tell her to pull her big head in and behave with some respect for the position she’s been given .

Reply #706043 | Report this post

Really  
Years ago

Would be very interested in the coaching level of all the anons here complying about the coaching.

Please leave you coaching accomplishments along with your negative opinions about Australia playing off for a gold medal in a world champs.

Great job aussies and Liz.

Reply #706044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It really is a love/hate relationship with Liz.

I think the team will be even better in Tokyo if we qualify.
You add tolo as backup centre, Wallace at the guard, another pg. 2 very high calibre athletes who are both great role models.

Reply #706045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hear hear Really!

Reply #706046 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

I think the Spaniards will be sacking their drama coach today. Their flops weren't enough to get the win - what a failure! Obviously not enough of them flopped, or they just didn’t do it well enough, to show the refs that Liz was a menace on the court and should have been disqualified.

Reply #706047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Couldn't even rely on the assistants to coach, had to have Olaf do it in the qualifiers.
Supposably one of the best coaches in the world has made Russia (a very talented team) almost non existent.

Palau is right about the wnbl, it is a few steps below the euroleague.
Not just about the play but also how's its run.

Reply #706049 | Report this post

Weeza  
Years ago

ANON your childish comment belittles whatever you point is...

see what I did there? :)

Reply #706050 | Report this post

Really  
Years ago

ANON

Please remind us of your greatest coaching performance.

Because I'm not sure any opinion you have is valid as you’ve never proven your opinion on managing players of elite talent is correct.

Reply #706051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On the other side. Staley is no auriemma.

USA have not looked that great under her so far, some unusual roster choices also and a the of lack of effort is evident.

Reply #706052 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Problem is that their weakest area is the backcourt (once Bird and Taurasi head to the bench) but that's not exactly our strength either.
Perimeter shots need to fall at a good clip if we're going to be competitive.

Reply #706053 | Report this post

Pointybits  
Years ago

Perhaps Lauren Nicholson needs an invite to the next Opals trials. Exceptional point guard at NCAA St Mary's California
talented Nsw Junior, this seasons SEABL and Launceston MVP. I am more than happy with our current backcourt, we are
missing Learnie but results are on the board.
Most criticism is simply baiting so just grin and bare the simpletons.
Basketball relies on exceptional defence and in case you haven’t notice our Opals have it in buckets

Reply #706067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nicholson is not an international level pg. shes just another 6'0 sg/sf on the fringe of the opals squad who will have to better than Allen, Talbot, ohea and Blicavs to get a shot.

Whitcomb will retain her position in Tokyo which means Mitchell and Griffin will miss out.

Reply #706068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't see whitcomb keeping any position, she’s not exactly lighting up the crt, she’s a shooter, that’s about it , they need a good crt general that’s what they lack

Reply #706079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WC (Points/Rebounds/Assists)

Starting 5
5'10 Ebzery-PG (4.2/1.4/3.2)
6'2 Talbot-SG (5.2/3/4.8)
6'2 Allen-SF (10.2/4.8/2.6)
6'4 George-PF (6.2/4.8/3.2)
6'8 Cambage-C (27.2/9.8/1)

2nd unit
5'11 Madgen-PG (3/2/2.2)
5'10 Whitcomb-SG (9/3.4/2.2)
6'1 Ohea-SF (3.5/2/1.5)
6'4 Smith-PF (5.6/2.8/0.6)
6'5 Bunton-C (3.6/4.2/0.2)

3rd string
5'8 Lavey-PG (1.3/1.8/2.8)
6'4 Magbegor-PF (8/3.8/0.5)

The others certainly need to contribute more on the offensive end now and into the future.

Reply #706080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They lack 2 penetrating guards.
Wallace will come in for one of Lavey or Madgen. Another yet to be determined guard will step up. Mitchell will be done at 35 just like hurst was not wanted at 35y.o

Wallace
Ebzery
Whitcomb
Ohea
Talbot
Allen
Blicavs
Smith
Magbegor
George
Tolo
Cambage

Maybe 1 forward will be replaced with a guard.

Reply #706084 | Report this post

Danielle Hartman  
Years ago

It was my favorite game. And I support Australia, hope they will be the most professional and the luckiest in the next season.

Reply #728496 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:27 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754