smooth pockets
Years ago

Funny Breaking news - Cairns protest dismissed, 6ers win

Topic #4394 | Report this topic

XY  
Years ago

Woo Hoo - The NBL has my endless love and adoration...

Reply #51012 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Any more info?

Word is Vaughn stands by his call that the shot was good.

Reply #51013 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Sounds like Cairns did not try to argue that there was a shot clock violation - only wanted the extra 0.7 on the clock!?!

NBL not going to comment further. That sounds a little defensive...

Reply #51014 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

MEDIA RELEASE
19 September 2005

NBL STATEMENT ON CAIRNS-ADELAIDE GAME

The National Basketball League (NBL) today released the following statement from General Manager Chuck Harmison on the contentious finish to the Adelaide 36ers versus Cairns Taipans Philips Championship game played last night at the Cairns Convention Centre.

"The NBL today received a formal protest from the Cairns Taipans regarding their home game on 18 September against the Adelaide 36ers. The Taipans complaint contended that the game was incomplete and that 0.7 seconds should have remained on the game clock."

"The NBL obtained statements from all three referees and the scorebench officials, and viewed video footage of the incident as soon as it was made available."

"After thoroughly reviewing all the pertinent evidence, the Taipans appeal has been dismissed and the NBL has upheld the referees' initial decision that the game was satisfactorily completed. Accordingly, the result shall stand, with the final score being 92-90 in favour of the 36ers."

In line with standard NBL policy, no further comment will be made by the League office on this matter.

Marc Howard
NBL
Manager  Communications

Reply #51016 | Report this post

smooth pockets  
Years ago

The NBL dismissed the appeal after taking statements from scorers and umpires and reviewing the tape when it became available.

I also heard something 3rd or 4th hand. That the 36ers has possesion with 24.7 seconds remaining. After Dusty had hit the game winniner there was 0.7 seconds remaining. The clock is stop when the basket is made, therefore by definition the shiot must have left Dusty's hand before the shot clock went off. The logic makes sense to me, but as I said this was something that was only repeated to me.

Reply #51017 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

doesn't the clock continue to run on a made basket?

if it had been a shotclock violation then it should have stopped, but if the basket counts then they cant claim their 0.7secs, which defeats the whole purpose of their complaint.

Reply #51018 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Adelaide win to stand - www.nbl.com.au As above but now it is on the NBL website.

Reply #51021 | Report this post

smooth pockets  
Years ago

i believe the clock stops in the final 2 minutes

Reply #51024 | Report this post

AJ  
Years ago

The Press release even made it onto Channel &'s sports segment

Reply #51028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mark the clock stops on all made baskets in the last two minutes of regular time plus the last two minutes of any subsequent period of play

ie stops for all made baskets in the last two

game goes into ot clock does not stop on made baskets until the last two minutes of the ot period (which is 5 mins)

Reply #51030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But if dusty let the ball go just b4 the shot clock expired, the clocked wuld hve run out while the ball was in the air and the ball wuldve gone through the basket after the buzzer sounded leaving no time on the clock.

So either he let the ball go in time and the clock ran out or he didnt and it was a shotclock violation leavin 0.7 seconds on the clock with the scores tied.

Reply #51066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Obviously I am pleased with the outcome but to me the bigger issue is whether or not clubs can appeal rulings during a game.

Where will this appeal process lead. The other night Brisbane took a shot which clearly hit the backboard and was blocked away. No goal tending call. What if this was in the last minute and they lost by a point.

For me the referees are in charge. There are three of them so they can at the time quickly discuss the issue and make a ruling. Their decision stands - over and out. If you have a complaint this can still be made to the NBL to clarify positions going forward etc but certainly not to overturn a decision.

In future when I go to a game will I need to wait a day or so to make sure the team I saw win actually be awarded the win?

Reply #51075 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

As far as I can see, this is all not an issue of whether the umpires were right or wrong, but about the rediculous posturing of Alan Black.

I can easily see Black making an issue out of nothing about the whole thing.

Most of the Cairns fans on Ozhoops agree that is was a close call, and the scorebench did not immediately know if it was a shotclock violation or not. In that event, what else can the umpire do but give benefit of the doubt.

There was no time left on the clock, the ump called the game. Easy.

But Black had made up his mind and went straight to the scorebench to complain (which is not unusual for Black) and blew the whole thing out of proportion.

Good work Black, welcome back to the league... He should get a nice fond reception on returning to the Dome...

Reply #51078 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

I agree XY.

Hard to comment when I wasn't actually at the game but I'm with you in that Black most likely continued to bitch for about 10 minutes straight until one of the Cairns scorers 'agreed' with him that the shot was released late.

Reply #51085 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

Does anyone know when the boxscore will be available?

Reply #51100 | Report this post

ShutUp!!  
Years ago

Sounds to me we should have 5,000 people holding up signs with 0.7 on them when the Taipans come to town, just for Alan!

Reply #51104 | Report this post

flatshot  
Years ago

i heard from someone who was at the game that it sure looked like the shot was late so i think we should just shut up and work on how to preserve eight-point leads.

Reply #51128 | Report this post

DJM  
Years ago

I like the sign idea suggested by ShutUp!! Surely we could work on the 00.7 theme and work in 'we're shaken but not stirred'?? There must be more banner headings out there far more creative than this one!

Reply #51194 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:30 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754