AJ
Years ago

Breaking News again -TAIPANS TO FIGHT RESULT !!!!!

From Cairns website 20-9-2005

Prior to yesterday afternoon the Taipans were advised by the National Basketball League that there had been no outcome to the game decided. Per NBL requirements, the Taipans lodged all official game day reports on Monday morning after the game. The Club was verbally told by the NBL on Monday afternoon that they had determined the result of the game to be a 92-90 win to Adelaide. Although the Taipans signed the section on the scoresheet indicating it protested the result, no formal protest/appeal document was submited on Monday - only the official game day reports detailing the chain of circumstances.

Once advised that the result was to be a 92-90 win to Adelaide the Club requested written reasons why the NBL decided this to be the case and began to prepare a formal document of dispute and complaint.

Taipans Executive Director, Juanita O'Brien said:

"We do not want to appear sore losers and this is certainly not a personal attack on the Referee but we believe we owe it to the thousand of Taipans fans who waited at the game for an hour for Adelaide to return to the court and to our team themselves to exhaust every avenue we have."

"The Referee, to his credit, acknowledged he had made a correctable error and directed Adelaide to return to the game with 0.7 secs remaining. The NBL also contacted Adelaide. When we left the stadium on Sunday night all officials (being the Referee, the NBL and the scorebench) were agreeing on the fact there had been a correctable error and there was 0.7 seconds left on the clock. Why else would the Referee and the NBL be directing Adelaide to return to the game? Further, we asked the NBL for advice as to whether we should play the last 0.7 secs out which would result in a forfeit by Adelaide and they advised us not to play the time out even though as it stood the time remained."

"We understand some of the Adelaide players, in their haste to leave, were already exiting the stadium. For this reason we requested to the NBL that rather than the forfeit rule be imposed that the game be replayed. Unfortunately, Adelaide representatives did not remain for the complusory press conference which is part of normal procedure on game night."

"It may be a storm in a teacup to some at this stage of the season only 4 games in but each game is vital and could count at the end of the season and for this reason we believe the fans and the team deserve the matter not be swept under the carpet, but a transparent and detailed ruling be made by the NBL as to the matters in hand. I don't believe I would be doing my job if I didn't request this on behalf of the Club"

This may be why there are no Box Scores. The saga ain't over yet

Topic #4402 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Here's my bet: NBL will fine Adelaide $5000 for not showing up for the official post-match conference, and leave the result as is. Too much of a headache to replay 0.7 seconds, or replay the whole game.

Reply #51127 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Can someone explain to me how there would be 0.7 sec remaining on the clock? I thought Dusty got the shot off just before the shot clock buzzer, and there was about 0.7 sec remaining on the game clock, surely time would of elapsed during the flight of the ball?

Reply #51129 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They want the shot cancelled and the final 0.7 seconds played with the scores at 90-90 and them in possession, AFAIK.

Reply #51131 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Apparently there was footage on ch7 news and fox sports. I havnt seen it but most are in agreeance that from the video footage you cant tell if he got it off in time or not - to close to call.

Reply #51134 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Did not Breheny say that he hung around to do interviews etc with Reesy?

There are a lot of mixed reports about this even to the point that the sixers were still in the building 10 minutes after the game was called and that it was only after Allan Black marched a scoretable official into the referees rooms that a change of decision was made.

Most people in the stands had left under the impression that Adelaide had won.

The sixers left the stadium under the impression they had won.

The points were counted as good, game over.

Bring on the Kings!

Reply #51135 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

You tell em Kent. How much they expected to do with .7 of a second and the ball at the opposite side of the court is beyond me. Superman himself would not have achieved that.

Isaac, how can the NBL fine the Sixers? For heavens sake, they were already cooling down in a swimming pool. The refs had already left the court and went into the changerooms before any dispute was mentioned. There has to be a reasonable time frame to get a team to come back and this was way beyond reasonable. Also the fact that it took so long leaves a lot of doubts as to whether the Taipans had a reasonable claim or not. Where Juanita O'brien says we owe it to the fans who waited around for 1 hour for Adelaide to come back, well that was their choice, the Sixers had no obligation to them whatsoever. Sore losers is exactly what they are appearing to be. If they had any obligation at all, it would be to their own fans to see a fair outcome from this game.

Reply #51155 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

The Taipans need to get over it. They feel like they were screwed and while they should feel angry about it, they should be thankful that the game was only a regular season game and not a semi-final decider like the last 36ers game that had a very highly questionable conclusion. The NBL has ruled, nothing good can come out of continuing the arguement.

Reply #51156 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

EC, I think clubs are fined if they don't provide a coach and player for post-game press conferences, but might be wrong. Someone on Ozhoops said something about a $5000 penalty. I guess we'll see.

People in Cairns said that there were no Sixers at the press conference when Black made his statements.

Reply #51158 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Breheny & Rees stayed back. With the hostility going on after the game, they put their well being on the line. I would not blame them for not staying around any longer than they had to.

Reply #51171 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Correct it is a $5000 fine for not supplying someone from coaching staff and playing staff for press conferences after the game (funnily enough, Adelaide only do press conferences for Fox games to get vox pops for the late news)

I dont know how Cairns do it, but I have been to many press conferences in Adelaide, and also a couple in Melbourne, and both times the opposing coaches and players do not have their conference at the same time. So for no Sixers to be there when Black made his comments would be a correct thing, and nothing out of the ordinary.

I think Cairns had the right to protest the decision, but once the NBL ruled the result to stand, they should have left it alone. They sound like sore losers now.

Reply #51191 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

hopefully the nbl will squash this quick. Its getting sad now. 2 decisions have been made, the tiapans may have been screwed but get over it.

Reply #51192 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

I think they should just get over and concentrate on the 30 or so games left in the season. Their protest was knocked back so obviously the shot was good and thats that.

Reply #51291 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:53 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754