Cat's Eye
Years ago

Rick Hodges - Who is he?

Who is Rick Hodges, the bar at my club is named after him.

Who did he play for?
How good was he?
Did/does he hold any records abl/nbl or otherwise?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Topic #4414 | Report this topic

pickles  
Years ago

Rick Hodges used to play for NCT.. Ben and Tim are his sons and they currently play for southern tigers.. He was a centre and only retired about 6 or 7 years ago..

Reply #51303 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

700-odd games at equivalent ABL level. Played NBL in early 1980s. One of the true greats of South Australian basketball and we're talking "true" greats here.

Reply #51308 | Report this post

BMG  
Years ago

And by true, I would assume that if you cut him open he would bleed Black and Gold.

Reply #51314 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

How tall was he to play centre?

Reply #51319 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

I reckon hes about 6 6.

Reply #51321 | Report this post

BigAl  
Years ago

Rick Hodges - one of the few players whose kids were playing high grade District level while he was still playing Senior Div 1!

Reply #51339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is closer to 6' 10" which places him as a true centre.

Reply #51340 | Report this post

BigAl  
Years ago

Come to think of it, I believe he and his son actually played together in the Tigers div 1 team - but I could be wrong...

Reply #51341 | Report this post

Mr Hankie  
Years ago

Rick Hodges is a great club man and a great player. His brother Adrian also played for NCT with Rick and Adrian is now an assistant coach to the ABA womens team. Godd to see him back!

Reply #51360 | Report this post

Mr Hankie  
Years ago

Soory for the typo error pickles housemate!

Reply #51361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mr Hankie - your mistaken about Adrian coaching at Southern. I spoke to him less than one month ago and he said he was finished coaching.

Adrian is a man of his word, hence it would be very out of character for him to be coaching again.

Reply #51368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adrian has been coaching at Mav's for the last few years as his kids play there.He has coached juniors and seniors as this is what mav's coaches do as there is not enough to go around.

Reply #51380 | Report this post

Atlas  
Years ago

Didn't Rick represent Australia as well? What a guy!

Reply #51385 | Report this post

gertrude  
Years ago

Rick is 6 foot 8, did indeed play for australia, and is one of the all-time great tiger men!!...hence the rick hodges room.....22 odd years at or above state league level...takes some beating!

Reply #51392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He played at North too didnt he?

Reply #51396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and related to gertrude isn't he

Reply #51397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There was a game late in the rocks career when all three Hodges were on the court at once at State League Level, Timmie, Bodge we were slow in D transition but fun to watch from the bench! Classic Tiger moment

Reply #51398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

don't know about adrian coaching but heard a rumour that hodges daughter has left mavs to line up for tigers, 2nd player to do so in 2 years. wasn't too happy with mavs coach

Reply #51412 | Report this post

switchboard  
Years ago

Claire Hodges (niece of Rick) will be lining up in the black, maroon and yellow and will be under direction from her dad Adrian who is likely to take the role of assistant.

Reply #51416 | Report this post

jimmy de bas  
Years ago

No I don't believe he is related to Gertrude buddy.

Reply #51417 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

One of the all time SA great basketball players.Had one of the sharpest set of elbows i've ever met! I seriously can't believe you play for Adelaide Southern and not know who he is! I'm hoping you come from the Adelaide part of the club!!!

Reply #51418 | Report this post

Don't forget the majestic hook shot!

Reply #51431 | Report this post

Mr Hankie  
Years ago

Well said Panther!

Reply #51454 | Report this post

Flashback  
Years ago

Let's start at the beginning...

Began playing at age 16 - height 6ft 8 - with Jervois a founding member team of the Murray Bridge basketball Association under coach Trevor Hull.

Attended Flinders University in 1972 meeting up with Gerry Clarke (father of Matthew Clarke, current Southern Tigers captain) who enticed Rick to join Glenelg BC. While at Flinders was a central figure of the team that won the Australian Intervarsity BB championships with Flinders going on to represent Australia at an International tournament in Israel.

From there details become a little rusty.

His career at NCT (now ST) also included coaching them to a premiership in his first year as coach.

Reply #51463 | Report this post

gertrude  
Years ago

may need to add australian representative to that little career summary flashback....but was a fiar summary.
in a short summary,
rick is a south australian basketball legend!

Reply #51471 | Report this post

TH  
Years ago

Gertrude wishes he was a Hodges.
So much so he's moved into the Hodges household. So I hear&

But to inform the mind of a curious Southern Tiger as to the naming rights of his teams' Club Rooms 

Rick Hodges in view:

Quote: "&this stuff should be etched in your brain!!!"

Aus rep 1977/78, World Championships Manila 1978
NBL, 1979 -1981, 1987
ABA 1972 - 1998? Retired Age 44
Played with: Phil Smyth, Al Green, Andy Blicavs, Eddie Palubinskas, Werner Linde, Ken Cole, plus a lot of guys who were in The Australian side around that time.
Played against some NBA players during their college career but forgotten names. Kurt Rambis most notable&

And in his last year as a player for NCT, there was a game where Rick and his two son's played together in 1998.

Reply #51489 | Report this post

TH FAN x  
Years ago

TH!!!! Cant wait to kick your butt at Golf on Sat, pick up slippery and see you on time

Reply #51508 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

As stated above, Adrian Hodges is DEFINITELY an Assistant at Southern, and Claire has come across as well.

Never say Never.

Reply #51552 | Report this post

R&R  
Years ago

rusty?...still playing veterans comp in Melbourne and holder of the MVP Ringwood Over 30's Div 1 trophy...

Reply #51560 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:26 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754