mike
Years ago

standards of the refs

Anybody else getting annoyed with the standard of the refs? I think the standard of the play has improved and is professional, but the standard of the refs seems to be way below.
DJ Kennedy for Mel and Shawn Long for the breakers sat out large periods of the game due to terrible calls. Surely fans want to see the best imports playing, and imports will not want to come if it doesn't improve.
There seems to be a real problem for bigmen. Rakeem Christmas last year and players like Long this year. You can see they look bermused because they can hardly play defence. No wonder we have lots of threes and FT's and little in the post.

Topic #44250 | Report this topic

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Yeah even tonight in Perth, some shocking calls

Reply #714878 | Report this post

Perf Werld  
Years ago

Refs overall are excellent I reckon. They cop way too much shit.

Reply #714879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've normally been on the referees side but it’s been abyssal this season.

Reply #714889 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Thoughts on Cotton?

Reply #714907 | Report this post

Todd  
Years ago

too many poached calls that don't have clear vision.

Reply #714909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's how Brisbane beat my Sixers last weekend. Twice.

Reply #714915 | Report this post

Wang whipper  
Years ago

Anybody else getting annoyed with the standard of the OP? I think the standard of the forum has improved and is professional, but the standard of the OP seems to be way below.

Reply #714932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wang, I am sure that sounded creative in your head bro.

Reply #714935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The consensus from people of the internet: referring/umpiring is never good in any sport or match ever, whether that be the NBA, NBL, AFL etc.

Listen - it's either the act of officiating itself everywhere (all over the world in any sporting code) is inherently bad and therefore we should all stfu and accept that, or we are all sad cliche spuds who comment on facebook and forums and we actually know nothing and again we should stfu.

Officiating is really only there so the public can debate about it.

Reply #715003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The reffing has been very poor this season I think because the same refs are making the same mistakes week in week out and there is no penalty for having poor performances. Every time I turn the nbl on it's either the blonde ref, the fat little guy or the older balding guy. How about having a decent sized panel of refs to choose from and hold them accountable for their performance.
So many times guys going to the rack and they get whacked in the head but the ref is only looking at the ball. A lot of bogut's blocks are fouls because he uses his off hand to propel of the opponents body.

Reply #715040 | Report this post

Officiating has been a disgrace and has been for a number of years. There's no accountability at all for any poor performances, the same 8 or so mugs just keep getting rotated every week. They can’t even call a backcourt violation with four seconds to go in the Adelaide v Melbourne game which cost Adelaide a chance to win. Let that compute, you got three officials there and the fourth on the sidelines and not one of them called it. We made a mistake oh well was the response

Reply #715133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refs are f..ked ! it is embarrassing and they actually do not even hide how much they cook games . They are a bunch of arrogant toss pots .
A bunch of little bitchs

Reply #715167 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

FMD this whole forum is just going to hell in a handbasket

Not contents with fucking up every game thread bitching about the refs (and Perf) we've now got additional threads just to continue the bitching.

Apart form the abundance of charge calls, which I think is mostly related to interpretation anyway, I think the refs are doing a reasonable job, and if anything slightly improved.
They will always make mistakes, and always make calls that people don't agree with, but that's just life.

Reply #715394 | Report this post

yeet  
Years ago

the refs are good. they make sure there is no fowls in the game so the refs are good

Reply #715425 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Apart form the abundance of charge calls, which I think is mostly related to interpretation anyway, I think the refs are doing a reasonable job, and if anything slightly improved."

I agree with this, the overall way they are reffing is helping to produce some great, fast-paced, attacking basketball. If they could get the charge/block/flop stuff consistent (please just tell the refs to give the benefit to the offensive player and defenders won't fall down nearly as much) then I think a lot of the incidents that cause consternation will disappear.

Reply #715437 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:12 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754