Anonymous
Years ago

Torrey Craig and Terrence Ferguson copping a lot of heat

NBA is the best league but has there been a player to successfully transition directly from NBL to NBA?

Craig and Ferguson are getting a lot of heat from their respective fan bases. Craig is starting for Denver but is one of the worst shooters in he league at the moment, Ferguson can't even average 5ppg as a starter.

Before someone mentions Ingles, I mean a player who goes straight from NBL to the NBA, not through a stint in

Topic #44268 | Report this topic

Splinky  
Years ago

I don't think you can hold the NBL responsible for their performances in the NBA.

Reply #715337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dumb thread, of course not and nbl was just a stop for Craig.

Reply #715345 | Report this post

Food for thought (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Ferguson didn't exactly set the NBL on fire either, so to blame the NBL for him sucking in the NBA is a bit ridiculous. And Craig wasn't a scorer here either. So how exactly is it the NBL's fault?

Reply #715349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL didn't draft them did they?

Reply #715352 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

Ferguson is still only 20 years old and has a long way to go. I thought he had good stats today with Russ out

Reply #715353 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Jingles regularly played big minutes for 3-10 points a game. it is paying dividends now.

Ferguson is there to let his team mates shoot. in time he will prosper

Reply #715359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL isn't to blame, they've just been thrown in the deep end for roles they aren't ready for.

Reply #715360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't know where you’re pulling your opinion from, but the Nugs fans love Torrey from the multiple forums I read.

Reply #715365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anyone who is starting in the NBA is a successful transition surely!

Reply #715367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

James Ennis.

Reply #715368 | Report this post

Id rather be getting 5 points in the NBA than playing in the NBL, whats the point of this thread?

Torrey Craig is a god damn starter! Doing pretty well for himself id say

Reply #715370 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Craig a huge success. Ferguson is young and has time to develop, he was drafted because he can fly.

Reply #715373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Donald Whiteside. Damn these kids who no nothing about the game.

Reply #715381 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Is there a point to this thread?

Reply #715390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stephen Jackson turned out pretty good in the NBA after playing for Sydney

Reply #715391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Torey Craig is definitely getting ripped apart on the Nuggets subreddit and twittersphere.

It's no exactly his fault that he's starting but if anyone is into analytics, the Nuggets starting lineup are about 20 points better when he's not on the court.

Reply #715398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are both ordinary players and there are a lot of ordinary players in the nba who just play a role for the team.

Reply #715409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How are the Nuggets starting lineup better when he sits? He is part of the starting lineup so that doesn't make sense, unless you're saying that a combination of bench and starters are a better option for the nuggets than playing Craig?

Also when Craig is 11th for minutes on the team and has played 11 games you're actually looking at a remarkably small sample size to make these judgments.

Reply #715422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I must be looking at a different Nuggets reddit because I don't see anything disparaging Torrey.

Reply #715450 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Whiteside played in Europe for a couple of seasons after leaving the Devils and before joining the Raptors. Jackson played a couple of seasons in Latin America between leaving the Kings and joining the Nets.

I'd be more inclined to pick Ennis, as mentioned above, or Doug Overton. Overton went straight from a season with the Illawarra Hawks to the Washington Bullets and stayed in the NBA for 11 seasons. Pretty much a journeyman. A bit like Rick Brunson, who played for a year in the Continental Basketball Association between his season with the 36ers and joining the Portland Trailblazers.

Chris Anstey went straight from the SE Melbourne Magic to Dallas Mavericks. His numbers were okay in NBA, for a (predominantly) bench player and he stayed for 3 seasons.

Other Australians to go straight from NBL to NBA have generally not been starters and did not stay long in the NBA. e.g., Gaze, Heal, Bradtke, Jawai.

So yes, there have been a few of successful transitions directly from NBL to NBA. Not to starting or dominating roles but to regular and meaningful bench or backup roles lasting more than a couple of seasons.

Reply #715475 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:07 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754