Topic #44290 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Where's the like button?

Should be good for the NBL to dip their toe into Canberra

Reply #716275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice for Canberra. Annoying for Hawks fans (members especially)

Reply #716277 | Report this post

Food for thought (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Yeah I am sure it is annoying for Hawks fans, but Hawks fans don't bother to turn up to games so they can sit there and watch the game from home as they usually do.

Reply #716287 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Can't spill your beer over players via TV though. The Illawarra region is fuming over this lost opportunity!

Reply #716303 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ha!

Reply #716305 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Could be a dress rehersal for possibly a more permanent move or at least a few more Hawks games there if there's support for it. They only really need to get 3000 people there at least to think about it.

Reply #716345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With the ACT government's willingness to throw money at interstate sporting teams to bring events to Canberra, a few games a year could make a big difference to the Hawks' bottom line.

This should also tie in to Canberra Classic, so if most teams and spectators for that event bother turning out to the NBL game, that's a few hundred people who wouldn't normally be in town.

Reply #716346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$150k for a home game up the road. Take it!

Reply #716359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cal will get it happening.

Reply #716410 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

I know it will be very hard for them to not get more fans to turn up than a Hawks home game, but when teams have done this in the past, it's been pretty stark in the stands... Any big basketball fans are still Canberra fans and would more than likely still have that rivalry and the last time the Kings went down there, the "away" team was cheered for more...

I hope there's a ticket buy back for the Hawks members that don't go down, as taking away a home game from fans that are already dwindling thanks to poor management decisions in the past, could erode things even worse in the long term... No point getting paid now if long term they don't have any fans wanting to come to the rest of the seasons home games...

Reply #716413 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

^ WookieE +1

Especially if Illawarra season tickets don't carry a disclaimer that warn that you might not get the home games in the Illawarra.

Reply #716421 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Out of the 2500 people that the Hawks usually get, how many of those would actually be members? Maybe 1000? Of those, there would have to be some long term members that may support the Canberra initiative if it means a cash injection for the club, which in turn could mean an improvement in some areas which could benefit the members. The older members may appreciate this.

Wookie makes a good point though about Canberra fans. Why would they get behind the Hawks? Could be a very empty stadium which would be a shame. But if the Hawks dont get much support in their own town, you cant blame them for trying this especially as its worth $$$ to the club.

Reply #716423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think there are a ton of Hawks fans in Canberra. There's a fair rivalry at junior level, so the natural tendency for our juniors is to support Sydney. The drive is not that different and if you bother making the trip, there's stuff to do other than go to the game. I don't see a lot of NBL interest in Canberra full stop. It's easier to watch the NBA, so if you don't have an existing attachment to an NBL team, there just isn't much reason to form one.

I hope the crowd will be a decent size, but I think that's the best case scenario. Don't think the atmosphere will be great.

Reply #716438 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Greater South West Cannon Hawks has a nice ring to it.

Reply #716504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WookieE:

Just on your point - I got an email (I'm a member) saying I can get a ticket to the game in Canberra, get pro-rata cost of that ticket reimbursed, or pro-rata cost donated to charity.

Reply #716658 | Report this post

Rabbit70  
Years ago

Hawks don't care about the Hawks members because from 2020 there will be the ACT Hawks.

Reply #716659 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:38 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754