robt
Years ago

Wright's comment about replacing locals vs imports

Not sure what to make of this attitude, repeatedly heard today on ABC news. Joey saying that he is stuck with his locals. Why so? Not saying that he should replace some, just asking the difference.

Next, who would he replace and with whom?

Topic #44292 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Imports paid monthly and can usually be cut free by a certain point. Locals have to be paid out.

Reply #716322 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I didn't view this article, but most coaches would kill to have Wright's Australian contingent.

Who is Joey 'stuck with' (connotation being he'd here but I don't want him'?

Reply #716323 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Oh yeah I'm sure Joey is just so outraged to pick up Conger at the expense of DeLeon when the team is under pressure. I know that's missing his point a little and I'm sure it's a rev up to his team to lift as much as anything, but where has this been before regarding all the over imports he's cut/have been cut?

Reply #716324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He could have been "stuck" with Creek if his NBA gig didn't work out but the club kinda stuffed him over on that one.

Reply #716329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think this was just adding to the subliminal message that cutting Adris was a decision by the front office that he did not agree on.

Not that he wants to cut anyone else, but the fact his hands are tied.

Reply #716330 | Report this post

Food for thought (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Yeah the usual line from Joey is that an import didn't work out. This time he's basically blamed the Aussies for it, because Deleon is his mate. But having said that, there are definitely Aussies on the team not pulling their weight. And I also agree that there should be some expectation that Australian players turn up or get turned down.

Reply #716334 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Food for thought, and replace them from where though?

Was it a decision by the front office? I thought Joey had total control. Either way they've improved the roster and given fans something to look forward to.

Ironically, DeLeon actually started to do what most hoped he'd do and that's penetrate and make plays in that game against Sydney. Couple that with the occasional scoring explosion and he is doing his role. Can't pass up Conger though.

Reply #716337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reading between the lines I think a couple of Australians are being paid and aren't performing to it.

A couple of players would’ve got pay increases this year. But DeLeon is reportedly the lowest paid import this year.

Reply #716339 | Report this post

Years ago

Replace them with imports possibly. As the league grows we need to loosen import restrictions

Reply #716343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No we don't. Do you ever think before typing?

Reply #716350 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"And I also agree that there should be some expectation that Australian players turn up or get turned down."

There is. There are only about 50 Australians in the league, not many spots for poor performers.

Reply #716355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey's going to the NBA according to Joey. Nothing to see here. Perhaps the 6'ers are really broke?

Reply #716356 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

So Adelaide have the reigning All NBL first teamer in DJ, stud (supposedly) import in Wylie and the next Kevin Garnett in Majok Deng... its obvious that Joey is upset about having to try and find minutes for Harry Froling

Reply #716361 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The problem is once in the NBL locals do get complacent. It's human nature if you know you're untouchable during the season.

Reply #716362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd feel the same way if I had Teys on my roster...

Reply #716365 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Untouchable? Please, if you're playing poorly your minutes drop and your future employment is in jeopardy. Don't drink Joey's kool aid.

Reply #716368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think FFT and Perthworld have ever watched a game between them.

Reply #716369 | Report this post

Years ago

Not sure why we'd split shifts watching a game. Maybe your concentration span is poor or something.

Reply #716371 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

paul - sign a two/three year deal, chillax at the beginning, just do enough and turn it up in the contract year.

Reply #716377 | Report this post

Years ago

There are plenty of guys in the league who either shouldn't have a contract, or shouldn't have a contract at the pay rate their in, or shouldn't be playing the minutes they're playing. As the league expands the need to up import quotas to maintain and improve the standard of the league becomes paramount. You could probably make an entire team of guys in the NBL who should barely even be paid to play the game, and we're about to add another team to the league, which suggests to me there will be more of them (and yes, of course some good ones too). I think that needs to be nipped in the ass.

Reply #716380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perhaps Joey shouldn't have kept hacks like, larkins, Doyle and Teys on his roster, although Teys has been playing ok

Drmic is a bench player at best and sobey is being shown up as he isn’t really that good

Reply #716387 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Joey talks about comfortable Aussies. He's created this himself. Long term deals for players of the calibre of Teys Doyle McVey send a very poor message all around. More imports is not the answer, the quality of imports is not great outside of the top few.

Reply #716388 | Report this post

Look Joey is just sticking up for his boy Deleon but what I also take from this is his expected more output from deng and drimic. They had to take the next step up this season to be championship contender and they haven't.

Reply #716391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whilst Sobey has great moments and huge highlights, is he really that consistent star you can rely on. Hate him or not, Goulding is always a danger, Martin is always the best defender and leader in court, etc. Maybe time has run out for Sobey to go to NBA but his athleticism is up there for his position and could make a few plays in garbage time that could make highlights. But he's not a player you can depend on week in week out. What Adelaide is missing is someone like Creek who might not be firing on offence but will always be depended on to battle. Joey has benched Sobey many times in the past, personally I think it's him being referred to because he hasn't made that next step into all nbl consideration. Drmic and Deng are scorers primarily, defence won't keep them out there. Pity they haven't got an energy guy on the bench, they even went with BJ against Brisbane the other week to fire them up.
Love Joey but really think his development players are really odd selections, Hoffman, Deng etc. They'll never make an nbl roster, all they are are training players. Some can't even play at premier league level, surely there are some kids like a Adnam that can come on and maybe change the complexion of the game. Like the old days of Brett Wheeler and the Wild Thing chant, Scotty Ninnis etc.

Reply #716392 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I would have thought he is simply pointing out to the general public, what to us is obvious.
That its easy to replace imports, because there are thousands to choose from, but replacing locals of any quality if extremely difficult, especially mid season.

So Therefore, whilst (in his mind) Deleon may not have been the worst underperformer, he was the easiest to replace.

Reply #716398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe recruit a guy in the background and bring him in ONCE you have him. Surely it's not Joey. Loved De Leons heart warming speech to about never being sacked as a professional in 15 years. I was surprised it hadn't happened earlier ;)

Reply #716409 | Report this post

Pop  
Years ago

Ye, Majok Deng [to be clear] seems to have gone backwards this season, but on the flip side he's not getting much of a chance to settle into a game or role. And bringing in another forward is hardly going to help that.

On the topic of forwards, I also wonder about McVeigh [what is going on there?] and with Conger coming in I'd suggest he'll be getting even more splinters and less court time, if that is possible.

And beware looking for Sobey to become the 'go to' man. Looked to me like he tried that a couple of [home] games ago and suddenly the offence [such as it was] shut down even more and no-one else saw the ball.

These boys really need someone to control the offence [which does not mean walk the ball down the court] and to distribute the ball. Some genuine [general] on-court leadership wouldn't go astray either. Sadly I can't see where that is going to come from with this group and I don't think you can buy it mid-season, though hopefully I'm wrong.

Reply #716445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't Joey pick the locals he wanted and the offer of dollars to be paid to them. Obviously he has made a bad decision on 1 or 2 in his eyes.

Reply #716446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So who was the expert that tipped Adel to be bottom? Hope you put some money on that call ;)

Reply #716448 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

boti just reminded me that we got hodge here mid november for 100k a month....
deleon was a patsy....

Reply #716449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

chump is a better word.

Reply #716457 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Whilst Larkins sits on our bench and travels interstate, I don't Joey has a point. He basically employed a plumber to try and do an electricians job.

Interesting Larkins mum came to the defence that basketballers need job security. Pitty it only happens in Australian basketball. Everywhere else, you don't play well, you ride pine. New player becomes available you leave.

Reply #716459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Must have enormous admiration for coach W. When things are not going well he appears to have
the ability to distract and deflect.

What's he come up with so far this season:

It's the players fault,

It's the referees fault,

And now, it's the NBLs fault because they wont let him sack whoever he likes, when he likes.

Reply #716466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i want to know who pays for his daughter to sit court side in brisbane with eddy betts

Reply #716475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So let's say you can replace Australians like imports....who is he possibly going to get that is available and better than what he has? Piss and wind and deflection.

Reply #716480 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Yeah I think people are taking what Joey said too seriously he's just pissed off that his buddy Deleon got cut and likely against his wishes and Joey probably loved how hard Deleon worked and doesn't like how a few of the locals don't work as hard as he did.

Reply #716486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, they are certainly up shit 'Creek'

Reply #716499 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I think Joey was just sending a tough message to some of his under-performing players. Nothing more than that.

Zodiac, why do you think replacing DeLeon with Conger would have been against Joey's wishes? Surely he would have been on board with the change before management acted? I think its more likely he just respects DeLeon and wishes he didn't have to cut him, but knows he has to, save the Sixers season.

Reply #716513 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Beantown, Logically I would've thought so too but after watching that whole five minute presser when he made these comments he looked completely miserable.

Reply #716516 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Fair enough. I didn't watch the entire presser. But from what I saw he was just disappointed that DeLeon had to make way. It’s possible he’s both sad for DeLeon and in agreement with management that a new import was required.

Reply #716526 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Miserable at how bad the 36ers are playing, ie Johnson isn't firing up, Deng and Drmic aren't to be found and generally our defence is a new level of "horrific".

We get smashed down low, we get smashed up high, we get smashed everywhere on D.

Reply #716527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's probably sad they he hired a cheap import hoping he would excel. But he's NBA bound. Or off to Sydney to continue Jeff's shithouse hirings.

Reply #716538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't Deng have a pretty serious injury in the Winter season? Could he be still getting back to his best?

Reply #716543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deng ankle

Reply #716544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Each Nbl team should align with the second grade competition and then players can be dropped and have two way players so they can keep getting minutes.

Hopefully the unisports league will help build our competition.

Reply #716635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Um 2nd tier currently play winter. Slight problem.

Reply #716636 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:41 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754