Luuuc
Years ago

WNBL Round 6

Fri 7:00 - Bendigo vs Dandenong (Live Streamed)
Fri 7:00 - Adelaide vs Townsville
Fri 6:30 - Perth vs Melbourne

Sun 1:00 - Melbourne vs Townsville (Live on SBS & Foxtel)
Sun 2:00 - Canberra vs Dandenong
Sun 2:45 - Sydney vs Bendigo

Topic #44299 | Report this topic

Luuuc  
Years ago

Note that Flames-Spirit is at Qudos Bank Arena before the Kings-Breakers NBL match, so there's a pretty good chance of seeing a Sydney victory for anyone who attends.

Not looking likely to be a Flames one though, as Bunton is out of action this weekend. That team really can't catch a break this season.

Reply #716662 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

If Bunton is out geez. C'est Le vie Sydney. In hindsight they were really silly not getting a second import. Especially with depth issues.

Looms as a big round for Townsville too. They really need to win both matches, catch Melbourne on a return from Perth leg so good chance there.

Can't see Dandenong win in their double, and Bendigo now a good chance.

Another interesting round.

Reply #716720 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

So , 30 and 18 to beat ....... she probably will.....

Reply #716724 | Report this post

X  
Years ago

Sydney do have a second inport she just isn't any good.

Reply #716750 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Seriously you would think by now fox spirts live feed would have their crap together

Reply #716752 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Bec Cole is having her best season yet.

Reply #716760 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Oh, was forgetting Brit Smart isnt naturalised (yet?) and was thinking of Amanda Johnson, who yeah has been very average.

Reply #716770 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Why on earth has Bendigo taken their bench off when they have out played the starters in this last qrt

Reply #716772 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Going down to the wire in Adelaide!

Reply #716774 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Well done Suzy and Townsville. Magden made a big three at the end, that'll do wonders for her confidence.

Perth trying to rely on a 7 woman rotation with Schwagmeyer out...that's not going to work when they're also shooting rah cold outside their imports.

Allen on fire for Boomers.

Reply #716782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even the crowd participating in the games were shooting poorly at the lynx game haha!!

Reply #716790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the opals guard situation looks dire.

Reply #716791 | Report this post

Rhea23  
Years ago

Why hasn't Magbegor been playing.

Reply #716796 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Really bad blowout from the Lynx, that's the risk with the way they play. Their lack of three pointers was surprising, looks like Boomers got their defensive assignments on point.

Was hard on them for their rotation, but to be fair Boomers didn't bring a big side over either, but obviously better balanced with Perth not having Schwag playing.

Reply #716797 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Ezi has a broken hand, out for a couple of weeks still I think.

Reply #716798 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Regarding
"Bec Cole is having her best season yet."

The reason Bec is playing so well is getting away from Molloy.
He shouldn't be coaching U12 let alone WNBL.

Reply #716814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bec Cole improving her box score numbers is due to going from one of the best/deepest teams in the league to one of the worst.

Looks like Cole moving to Dandy has been good for Garrick and Cole. There is now more opportunities for both.

Melbourne beating Townsville and Perth (without Talbot) on the road the last 2 games wouldn't happen without a decent coach.

Reply #716826 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Being injury free for an extended period now has obviously been a big help to Cole.

Reply #716829 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

only 25 and 8 today

Reply #717317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tremendous weekend for Melbourne. Molloy really has them firing on all remaining cylinders even with 2 powerful cylinders sitting on the sidelines. Losing Cole's me-first attitude has only helped them as a team.

Reply #717322 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Starting to get a little scary for the rest of the league seeing what the Boomers can do with both Talbot & Magbegor still in street clothes. (We all knew how stacked they were, but performance doesn't always match talent). What a luxury to be missing players of that quality and still have someone of Purcell's calibre on the bench.

Was nice to hear on the telecast today that despite the recent setback Tolo should still be only 3 weeks from playing.

2nd guard in the team of the week will be ... ? Nurse? Cole?

Reply #717383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Opals guards still non factors.
Ebzery, Mitchell, Mansfield, Lavey, Madgen thus far not doing so well.

How's Whitcomb doing in Europe?

Reply #717386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

13/6/3 currently Whitcomb average.

Reply #717388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

27/7/4 Whitcomb's Eurocup average. Seems to be enjoying herself.

http://www.fiba.basketball/eurocupwomen/18-19

Reply #717392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Griffin playing so well but Whitcomb is needed much more for the opals.
Mitchell for me is not getting back into the opals. Time to move on from her.

Reply #717396 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Any upcoming guards coming thru anywhere that might be opal contention. What's everyone’s opinion on Conti.

Reply #717430 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Camel 31: "only 25 and 8 today"

Still looking a lock for runner up to Suzy this season, though.

Reply #717434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Conti is playing about 3 mins a game. Well off opals.

Reply #717444 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

I think we need to take a bit of step back. It's clear a lot have been affected by coming back from the Opals or injury.

Mitchell is still recovery from her injury and not even the main point guard on her team for now. Far too early to write her off as done.

Ebzery isn't going to be a major scorer on a Perth team with a lot of shooters and she didn't have a pre-season either. Mansfield is only just back from her injury.

Magden has been disappointing, yes, but she looks as if she has some fitness issues coming from Opals and her knee history.

Lavey had a hot start and fizzled back to old self. Cummings could be better but maybe adjusting to new team. Seekamp is playing fine as a makeshift PG.

Cole in career-best form has to be considered for the Opals. Hurst/Wilson are putting up career best numbers too (if wnbl site is to be trusted) so the league PG depth is ok. Garrick on a loaded roster is still producing. They should all be in the mix.

So I think it's too early to slam all our depth as worrisome at the moment, even if some players aren't standing out.

Reply #717451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Conti makes too many mistakes and is now getting pinged for her defence because she no longer looked upon by refs as the "little kid" , that's part of the reason she’s not playing minutes, plus they have better guards to put out there now. Don’t think it has anything at all to do with Molly’s coaching, his track record proves that, he’s just found a few players that actually will play as a team right now....it will change no doubt

Reply #717454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Conti..LOL the most promoted junior player in the history of basketball. And some here apparently buying into it.

Cole and Madgen..not skilled enough for the position. They would otherwise play overseas as PGs given their size and strong work ethic and make some money too.

Wait for Mitchell and Mansfield to recover for now I'd say and look again after Olympics.

Reply #717481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

would like to see what Wallace can do.

Reply #717485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wallace can be the one at one. She'll certainly be the two guard if stays healthy.

Reply #717492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If tiana has a great season again, sandy should give her a camp invite.

Reply #717503 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

^ ^ ^ agreed.

And really this conversation doesn't need to happen until after this WNBL season, by which time hopefully some of those players who have been slow to get going will have lifted their performances.
With Conti I can't question her effort, but I'm not seeing an area of her game that is looking elite either. Having said that she is still only 18, which is several years younger than anyone should realistically expect to be running the point for the Opals anyway.
Fingers crossed for Wallace.
I was really hoping that Donnelly, Clydesdale & Seekamp would put some selection pressure on this season too but they've all been relatively quiet to date.

Reply #717506 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Clydesdale is received venting from injury too so early days
Don't think Wallace is a good point at all , good player yes but there are lots of "good" players
Conti over hyped/rated and not what you would look for to lead Opals

Reply #717516 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Luuuc,

Dunno about Donnelly but not expecting too much from her, maybe once Cocks leaves the Fire? Seekamp is 4th in the league in assists (strangely down -.15/avg from last season) so she's playing well in her position even if would like to see more scoring. Clydesdale is still getting assists so even if she's not getting lots of game time because of injury that bodes well. She's in the Wehrug/Panousis age bracket, you're hoping they'd have taken the step up from just wnbl regulars.

The other youngsters to watch in the guard positions are Whittle or Rocci. Too early to tell though. Also if we're looking for breakouts, from those not mentioned in thread there is Adelaide's Nicholson. SEABL MVP and playing like a stranger so on the rise. Just would be behind the likes of Talbot, O'Hea, Blicavs, etc right now but could be worth a domestic camp invite.

Reply #717577 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

Seekamp is very good but I like her better as a 2.

Wallace potentially easily the best of all the players mentioned above.

Reply #717580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which 5 do you take for the frontcourt?

Griffin(cancels out Whitcomb)
Smith
Magbegor
Tolo
Bunton
Cambage

Reply #717594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

George also.

Reply #717596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am hoping Abby Bishop makes herself available for selection

Reply #717603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As much as I love Griffin in think you need the Scoring Whitcomb provides. I also think that by the Olympics Smith and Magbegor could provide a good deal of the hustle play Griffin provides particularly with a season or two at WNBA level under their belts. (I expect both to be drafted)

Reply #717606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Atm, I see the team as

PG-Ebzery
SG-Whitcomb
SF-Allen
PF-Smith
C-Cambage

PG/CG-2 of Lavey, Cole, Wallace or Mangakahia
SG/SF-Ohea
SF-Talbot
PF/C-3 of George, Magbegor, Tolo or Bunton

Likely also to make camp...
Mitchell
Mansfield
Seekamp
Garrick
Cumming
Wilson
Nicholson
Kunek
Blicavs
Griffin

25 player camp.

Reply #717610 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

homicide talks about 100percent .....while smith is 50percent of griffin...

Reply #717743 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

That's a good list, pretty much everyone talked about except Magden. Regardless of current form, I can't see her going from WNBA couple seasons ago, and a WC silver-medalist this year to nowhere near a training camp by seasons end.

Reply #717759 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Allen again POTW. No surprises there. Joined by Griffin, Batkovic, George and Cole.

I'd say there's a clear big three shaping up for MVP. The Perth imports and Nurse the outsiders for it. That's the shortlist for TOTY too, with maybe Coffey depending on Adelaide.

Just mad that Melbourne have a zillion Opals and manage to get the best performing import to boot (Nurse arguably the most talented). Perth and Canberra with their work cut out come finals. Can't see any of the others getting close.

Reply #717781 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:02 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754