Jack Toft
Years ago

New Zealand v Melbourne Nov 16

Game of the round.

Today we travel to Invercargill on the South Island. For those who don't know much about this town, all you need to know is that it is not the end of the world, but it you stand on tippy toes you can see it. It's cold, it's windy, its colder than Melbourne on a summer's day. If you thought Melbourne was grey and ugly..... nah, nothing is uglier than Melbourne.

Great matchups and great opportunity for both teams. Melbourne can't catch Perth, but two wins this round could see NZ put pressure on those floppy cats.

Ware will obviously have a field day, but the Long-Boone wrestle will be the thing to watch. Boone has the bogey man on Sunday, but can the long arms of Shawn Long tire him too much.

I would say get to the game, but it's too late to jump on a plane to cross the ditch if you haven't already. If you are watching on the telly, just grab a battered sav, it'll be just like you're there Bro.

Both teams travelling OK, but NZ are returning to the form that saw them dominate. I'm expecting a great game with NZ to pip them at the post.

Topic #44300 | Report this topic

LV  
Years ago

Another game I'll miss!

The busiest month of my year coincides with United's busiest month of the year. Such is life.

Hopefully Vickerman's worked out an answer for Tai Wesley that doesn't involve letting him shoot 25.

Reply #716665 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

High of 9 degrees today in Invercargill. Great spring day. Funnily enough I was down there this time last year and it was 28-30 degrees (record highs).

Very boring place!

Should be a cracker of a game though.

Reply #716673 | Report this post

I would think the game of the round is Perth Vs Cairns.

Perth completely undermanned, missing three starters, travelling through Alice Springs on a 4am flight this morning, desperately trying to keep their dominant start to the season going.

Reply #716679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A under manned Perth versus a poor Cairns unit as game of the round? L-O-L

Reply #716693 | Report this post

Perf Werld  
Years ago

It is for me

Reply #716696 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Yuck, 2pm WA start. :( Will have to just follow the scores at work.

Reply #716706 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Ah 2.50pm WA start, bit better, can catch the 2nd half at least.

Reply #716725 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Classic Perthworld mentality there by #645. :D

Reply #716726 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

McCarron struggling here

A couple of to's and missed some contested layups lately. United still heavily reliant on Casper/CG at guard

Reply #716741 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

United entire team has 1 turnover, almost halftime

Impressive effort but not sure how that squares with the 2 TO's McCarron just got

Reply #716742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL TV just cark it for anyone else?

Reply #716743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vickerman subbing is woeful, no subs then three four at a time, Melbourne's bench not playing much either.

Reply #716744 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

yeah , nbltv just went dead about 40seconds left in the first half ....hope it is on for the second half...

Reply #716745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fox Sports has carked it a couple of times too.

Haha the ad with the little bitch at the 3x3 hustle keeps cutting out early.

Reply #716746 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Real shoddy production work tonight.

Reply #716747 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

looks like barlow fouled the elbow with his face.....

Reply #716749 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

Commentators are about to blow a GD casket

Reply #716751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can someone tell me what is Rhys Carter's role with Mel Utd.

Is he on the coaching staff or is he the towel boy?

Reply #716753 | Report this post

Splinky  
Years ago

Why haven't NZ played at this venue before? Seems a good venue, crowd support is excellent. Is there a reason they don't play there more often?

Reply #716754 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Previous ownership decided to play all games in Auckland. New ownership have reverted back to hosting regular season games around the country.

Reply #716756 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Invercargill, Hamilton, New Plymouth, and Wellington host one game each this regular season.

Reply #716757 | Report this post

Splinky  
Years ago

I love the Kiwi commentators as well. Such a good tandem. I mean how can anybody not love Casey Frank?

Reply #716758 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Hell of an enjoyable game.

Reply #716759 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Not sure how viable it will be play more games at this venue though with only 2,600 in attendance.

Reply #716761 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I like the NZ commentary but Hugh and that other muppet they used to have on the sidelines, I just can't warm to.

Andrew Mulligan is highly undervalued and I think him doing a non NZ game wouldn't be too terrible, maybe a Perth game when Lachie isn't allowed to commentate?

As for the coverage, mine has been fine all game, not sure what everyone is complaining about.

As for the game, Corey Webster is my Fantasy captain this round and he has been absolutely marvellous all game except when it mattered most.

Good victory for United

Reply #716762 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I only started watching towards the end of the first half and almost immediately it locked up.

Reply #716765 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

As for the coverage, mine has been fine all game, not sure what everyone is complaining about.
Foxtel dropped the signal late in the second half and again during half time. Apparently NBL TV did the same. There's no way your coverage was fine.

Can someone tell me what is Rhys Carter's role with Mel Utd.

Is he on the coaching staff or is he the towel boy?
Team manager.

Reply #716766 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Second quarter, not second half.

Reply #716767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nz fan here

Same bloke who complained a lot about the reffing in Perth game where there was a record low fouls called on Perth

Despite statistical and anecdotal evidence several just said we lost so we blamed the refs

Well.

No complaints this week about the reffing

Despite the loss

Reply #716800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nz fan here

Same bloke who complained a lot about the reffing in Perth game where there was a record low fouls called on Perth

Despite statistical and anecdotal evidence several just said we lost so we blamed the refs

Well.

No complaints this week about the reffing

Despite the loss

Reply #716801 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Still complained about the refs:
https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/11/17/i-hope-they-fine-me-breakers-coach-slams-nbl-referees-for-lopsided-foul-count/

Reply #716816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't someone say the Perth Cairns game was the game of the round? It delivered!

Reply #717132 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:57 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754