Hogwash
Years ago

Phoenix 19/20

Our newest club will make their debut in less than 12 months.
They have a GM, Coach, name and colours.

Any thoughts on prospective player signings?
Many have already suggested Creek.
Which NBL free agents this off season could they target?

Other overseas based options eg Motum..

Topic #44312 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Carmelo Anthony

Reply #717005 | Report this post

Justin  
Years ago

Delly

Reply #717007 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

Delly under contract with Bucks for 19/20 thoooooooo.

Reply #717009 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Who's the coach?

Reply #717010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A good recent college player like Landale or Moneke would be fun maybe Adel as well?

Reply #717014 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Former united assistant Simon Mitchell will be coach.

Reply #717016 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Cheers Hogwash

Reply #717017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mitchell was announced last month

Reply #717020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they going to be big spenders or a budget team

Reply #717031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

theres a handful of seniors from Melbourne finishing college

Jack Purchase
Matthew MCcarthy
George Blagojevic
Mark Jackson
Abiola Akintola

Reply #717043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Greg Hire and Mitch Young confirmed marquee signings

Reply #717058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tbh I reckon Hire is someone who they should target as an 11th man. They'll need to help build a culture and bring together a bunch of new guys with some leadership, I reckon landing the vice captain of the Wildcats since he wont cost them a whole lot wouldn't be the worst idea.

Reply #717059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i can't wait for the netball season to start.

Reply #717072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ian Stacker is an Assistant Coach

Reply #717114 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Few fringe guys or past local NBL players worth a look?
Dan Dillon
Iggy Hadziomerovic
Tom Garlepp?

of course just as bench options

Reply #717147 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

I agree with what you say about Greg Hire and needing leadership, however his wife recently had their first child and owns a business in Perth, I highly doubt he'll move for an 11th man role on small $$

Reply #717151 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

On Dellavedova yes he has a year remaining on NBA contract but Milwaukee could pay him out.
Still a remote chance of him coming to NBL that soon but not completely out of the question.

Creek would have to be #1 target.

Reply #717158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Former united assistant Simon Mitchell will be coach." That's the 2nd fail Greer as GM is the 1st.

"Dan Dillon
Iggy Hadziomerovic
Tom Garlepp?"
Seriously you have no idea.
"Ian Stacker is an Assistant Coach"
Let's grow beards now.
All I see is fail, name, colours, Meh and where is their Owner? Not seen in Australia. United Mark 2.0

Reply #717162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Late to the party I know, but naming the team 'Phoenix' is incredibly dumb and/or lazy.

Reply #717175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dripping with bitterness #162, Tommy drop 30 on your head back in the day, which made your girlfriend dump you and your whole life went south from there? Bunk up little camper, maybe get some help and move on

Reply #717182 | Report this post

yeet  
Years ago

tom garlepp too old

Reply #717188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought I had read that the name was going to be a public vote?

Reply #717200 | Report this post

Food for thought  
Years ago

This Phoenix club has money behind it so expect that they won't be the shit show that the Bullets have been. They'll start off with a few marquee signings and will expect to make a splash as soon as they enter.

I'm not in love with the name, but I wasn't in love with the United name either and they've made it work for them. The green could either be a good or bad decision depending how they use it. Boston uses it well, Crocs used it awfully.

Daniel Dillon wouldn';t be a bad get as a back up but I wouldn't look twice at the other names listed. Garlepp is too old and wasn't even any good when he was here. Hadziomerovic is a guy who came in with a little bit of expectation but looks to have had a career with a Stephen Weigh trajectory that just ended a bit sooner. The problem with expansion without further relaxing import rules if you're going to have guys like that sneak back into the league and erode its quality. I mean, Greg Hire, who was also mentioned, is a relic of a time in the NBL that I'd rather forget, yet he remains. We don't need more of that.

Chima Moneke and Landale would be good signings. Both are outside of any real NBA talks due to their game styles but they're players of high quality. A starting 5 with 3 near-NBA imports, Creek and Landale would expect to do some damage.

I think Tommy Greer as GM for the club will only do it favors. He's just one of those genuinely good guys in the league, and he knows how to talk to people. Sponsors are going to want to deal with him, players are going to want to sign with him, he spruiks the league passionately and I am sure he will do well for the team and organization.

Reply #717223 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Strong rumours(within people in the know in Melbourne) that Sobey will be playing for SE Melbourne next season. I would happily put money on it.

Reply #717226 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Sobey is one of the better NBL free agents available this off season.

Will Adelaide seek compensation haha.

Reply #717227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't sobey sign a 2 year deal this past off-season ?

Reply #717236 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Nope...36ers had the opportunity to sign him long term, they didn't...gone.

Reply #717241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AJ Ogilvy will be heading south east

Reply #717242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"This Phoenix club has money behind it." Yes Kestleman's.

Reply #717243 | Report this post

Shayno  
Years ago

It already feels like the Phoenix think they are too good for every other club.

Must be a south east thing

Reply #717246 | Report this post

What's Ben Madgen up to now?? Would be a good returning Aussie

Reply #717262 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

Delly
Sobey
Creek

could happen

Reply #717276 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Ogilvy is a free agent but his stock has diminished at an alarming rate.

Reply #717279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Sobey signs with Phoenix, does Newley return to 36ers

Reply #717306 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

Don't see Delly agreeing to a buy out to join the NBL. He wouldn't draw enough salary from an NBL team to make up what he'd have to give back in a buy out, so not in his interest to do it.

Reply #717321 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

I'm not sure how Newley would return to Adelaide as he hasn't played for them.

Reply #717325 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Delly will not be returning to Oz anytime soon

Reply #717343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damon Heuir

Reply #717345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would be good to see some of the Aussie guys from Europe or G league. Also some past imports

Brock Motum
Jock Landale
Ben Madgen
Mitch Creek
Isaac Humpries
Deng Adel

Casey Prather
Perry Ellis
Travis Trice

Reply #717412 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Is Shaun Bruce so out of favour that he does not even get a mention? I am not suggesting him as a starting PG/SG but he has had such oustanding seasons in the QBL, and was very good in the NZNBL to boot, he could certainly contribute. Sure, huge difference in standards but our locals have to come from somewhere other than Europe/US comps.

A team of returning college students would proably be awesome [all the bests of the buch] but not very likely.

Bruce has a truely great attitude, knows the league, may not help your team dramatically but won't cost silly mistakes etc., and honestly played at least, ok for the Bullets.

Reply #717579 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

+1 on Bruce. That dude plays hard and hustles all day

Reply #717585 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Don't laugh too hard at the Hire suggestion. I've actually liked what he has done in the absence of Perth's starters. Very mature, experienced, and level-headed. Plus never gives up, just keeps grinding away. I think he could have had a much better career if not perpetually played out of position. He's a PF, or at best an old school SF, and Gleeson keeps playing him as an SG.

But I think stocking the bench will be fine. Pick up a few cats offs, couple of ex DPs, TPs, and a couple of young turks from College.

The critical issue is building their Aussie Core.
That's where Brisbane failed initially.

I hope they have the deep pockets to lure a couple of quality Aussies out of Europe. Not old farts who verging on retirement, nor guys plagues by injuries, but guys who could still command serious coin in Europe, and are happy to move home for the chance to headline a new Franchise on similar money.
(No point me sprouting names, as I have no idea who might want to come home, and it will depend on what they're looking for.)

Reply #717612 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The critical issue is building their Aussie Core.
That's where Brisbane failed initially.
If you're suggesting they failed to build an Aussie core in their first two seasons but have now succeeded, I would suggest you lack an understanding of how building works.

Reply #717614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Gleeson keeps playing him as an SG."

LOLWTF? no he doesn't

Reply #717627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree on Bruce. Pretty solid off the bench.

Reply #717628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek signs on in a 3 year deal.

Reply #720333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2 year deal.
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/south-east-melbourne-phoenix-sign-nba-aspirant-mitch-creek-20181203-p50jwi.html

Reply #720336 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:32 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754